Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 07:34 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OChomepro View Post
I live in Orange County CA in a 55+ community with a 27 hole golf course, several 9 hole golf courses, several club houses, several pools and spas. Also only about 6 miles from Laguna Beach and within close range of Newport Beach, etc. Cost is important but so is location. Average price in this area is over $700,000. You can buy a 2 bedroom / 2 bath 1,100sf place here which has been completely redone for less than $200,000. My association fee and taxes here run about $650 per month. Taxes are a consideration in Calif., but si is weather, utility costs, location,overall costs, etc.

I grew up in Orange County and love living here. Personally, I wouldn't consider a place to retire to with hot weather(Phoenix), cold weather(notheast) or humidity(Florida, Texas, etc.). But everyone has different ideas. To each his own with their choices in life. Cost of utilities here are very nominal due to the general warm weather. Personally, I haven't used my heater here for several years. If I get cold(around 60) I put a sweatshirt on. If I really get cold (40 or 50) I put two sweat shirts on.

Everyone here has different as to what's important to them.
Which community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 09:05 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Your property taxes are $6.38/sq ft.
Here in 'high tax' New England property taxes on my house $0.25/sq ft.
Your taxes are more than 25X our taxes.
Huh? Maine property tax is higher than the National average. Here's the data from 2013: The statewide median rate is $14.30 for every $1,000 of assessed value. At the median rate, the tax bill on a property assessed at $100,000 would be $1,430.

Towns with rates above the median are shaded in orange, while towns with lower rates are shaded in purple.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The Democrats have discovered a way around Prop. 13 in Calif. Bonds and parcel taxes. This last election a couple of weeks ago there were 3 that passed in LA. Its that way every election. They are added to your property tax.
Nothing new about that and it is not specifically a 'democratic' thing. Even in republican majority areas of California voters routinely pass infrastructure and school bonds. The way to avoid part of that is to check the history of tax increases for the area in which you are considering buying a home.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:27 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Huh? Maine property tax is higher than the National average. Here's the data from 2013: The statewide median rate is $14.30 for every $1,000 of assessed value. At the median rate, the tax bill on a property assessed at $100,000 would be $1,430.

Towns with rates above the median are shaded in orange, while towns with lower rates are shaded in purple.
I believe Submariner chose factored lower than average tax for the community he calls home...

Old 11-22-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I believe Submariner chose factored lower than average tax for the community he calls home...
I understand that, but assuming he lives in what they refer to in Maine as 'unorganized territory' I still can't find an area with a tax rate of .00250 Unorganized Territory - Tax Rates, Property Tax, MRS If he lives within a township the rates are significantly higher http://www.state.me.us/revenue/prope...valuerates.pdf

Old 11-22-2016, 09:42 AM

I would like to hear more...

Also did not realize he separated land tax from improvement tax...

When I posted my 11k property tax on assessed value of 710k it included land and improvements.

My East Oakland city lot is 210k and the Improvements 499k

Old 11-22-2016, 10:12 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I WISH. I grew up in Orange County but could never afford to retire there. My childhood home, bought for $30,000 in the 60's, sold for 1.2 mil. Prop 13 saved my folks. We used to go to Laguna Beach regularly, and if not for the traffic there, it would be my #1 choice. Oh, and the cost
"Pageant of the Masters" is my favorite memory!

I have come to really appreciate SoCal weather after having lived all over the place. In Mission Viejo, we never used heat or air conditioning. On the beach, neither one. A little further inland you need a/c though.
I never appreciated the lack of humidity until I left CA.

If cost were not a factor and I could live on the beach there, I would in a heartbeat.

Oceanside is more affordable, being a military area and not as upscale. I loved the beach there.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:23 AM

^^^Oakland is like this climate wise... never have lived in a home with A/C and the only time the heat was ever on is around the Holidays when the Great Aunts and Grandparents would be over...

Old 11-22-2016, 10:42 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Which community?
Of course, OCHomepro would have to answer for himself/herself, but, in the meantime, that sounds like Laguna Woods.

I am not retired, and live in nearby Aliso Viejo, but this general area is very expensive. Still, retirees can find relative bargains in Laguna Woods.
https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/.../sort=lo-price

As OCHomepro noted, both Laguna Beach and Newport Beach are close by here. I also like Dana Point Harbor, especially for quiet early morning walks with my dog.

Laguna Beach

Aliso and Wood Canyons

Newport Beach

Dana Point

Last edited by pacific2; 11-22-2016 at 11:40 AM..

Old 11-22-2016, 05:07 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We love the Santa Cruz area and my brother lives there. Each time we consider CA, I back off because of the cost of real estate and the taxes. It especially concerns me that income I get for rental properties would be taxed if I lived in CA. But over time I start thinking perhaps I should reconsider. Soooo....if you left a cheaper State and retired to California I'd love to hear your story and how its going.
Life is too short to retire to some place you do not want to live just because it is cheap. Those places are cheap for a reason and too many of those "best places to retire" place a very high rating on lower taxes and lower housing costs. They do not consider things like quality of life or being near world class medical care. They also do not consider ease of access to social services. These things are all probably more important than saving what is really only a few dollars in taxes. Millions of retirees live in California. If it was so bad so many would not remain there. Only you can decide where is the best place for you to retire. If you think it is California then go for it. I am sure you will feel it is worth it. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement