Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 04:17 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,612,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Somehow comparing a 'lady' to a lab rat, is a comparison that I find dis-tasteful.
No offense intended. The comparison was of overall health rather than species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 04:18 PM

332 posts, read 505,082 times
thanks to you and the beekeeper for your responses to Alice's unfortunate words about bag ladies. Had I given my two-cents it would be unprintable. the kindest thing I can say is that Alice doesn't know what she's talking about.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:55 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,612,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
Alice doesn't know what she's talking about.
I have a history of being involved with the homeless and when I get involved with something, I get really involved. One of my biggest weaknesses is that I like people.

I've worked with more than my fair share of homeless people and families, worked at more than my fair share of soup kitchens and churches that open their doors on cold nights to those without a roof to call their own. What I found were people with average to above average educations who fell on hard times, either material or emotional. All had their own reasons for being in the circumstances they were in. And often, they were not interested in people getting personally involved. Not all of them.

But more importantly I would like to call your attention that my reference was to a lab rat rather than a sewer rat or a New York rat. And the reference I made was to health as only healthy rats are used in laboratories for accurate results across the board.

It never occurred to me that someone would take offense to my reference of good health to good health. But then I thought everyone knew lab rats were the healthiest of rats.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:14 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,858,170 times
Back on topic. Is retirement going to become impossible?
If prices and inflation keep on it'll mean some adjustments. Some folks may need to work longer before they retire.
With me and my husband we would make a move to some place with a lower COL if we need to. It dosen't look like we'll need to do that at this point in time but who knows about the future. I have a couple of locations down on my list that are what I call back up places. These places are not ideal but the real estate and cost of living is cheaper. that is one adjustment that can be made to future plans.

Other things that could be done are cost cutting in the budget such as keeping the same cars until they wear out.

Last edited by Waterlily; 03-02-2008 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: added a word

Old 03-02-2008, 05:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
its not the oil prices. its the 38% of adults under 30 live with their parents.
"kidults" & permaparents. for many there is no finish line. fyi 31% of
seniors have a grandchild living with them. (aarp)

Old 03-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Alice: perhaps your work with the homeless and down-trodden was not situated in more urban environments - in cities the suffering of all homeless, male and female, is appalling. And yes I am familiar with the barriers the homeless erect between themselves and 'us'. The rat reference - i hardly paid it any mind. It was the tone of 'ah, freedom, travel lightly, that got me. Enuf.
Lilypad is trying to get back on topic by reminding us that we can be more frugal. Oh gee, I don't like that blindingly obvious observation either. Oy, am i just being obstructionist?

Old 03-02-2008, 06:20 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,464,672 times
Well considering the cost of living has increased in a fashion that (since the 1970s) has become quite disproportionate to people's incomes; it is much less likely that people will have the same opportunity to retire as the previous generation. I don't understand why more people are outraged about that. Me? I'll probably work until I'm dead or I wish I am dead. And I actually don't have much in the way of debt - I tend to pay as I go which means I don't have that much left over of course.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:09 PM

Exactly! Perfectly stated. And thanks for pointing out that not everyone carries debt. Even so, as you suggest, that doesn't mean that we have investment portfolios and fat accounts. I'd go far as to say that it's criminal that in America it's possible for some folks to work 40+ hours a week and still not make a wage that guarantees basic needs. Even for a single person making, let's say 30K a year (far above minimum wage), there's the tax penalty, the dressing for work, the car for work, the useless union dues...

Old 03-02-2008, 09:00 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,162,825 times
Today, 07:20 PM
b75
303 posts, read 20,907 times

Well considering the cost of living has increased in a fashion that (since the 1970s) has become quite disproportionate to people's incomes; it is much less likely that people will have the same opportunity to retire as the previous generation. I don't understand why more people are outraged about that. Me? I'll probably work until I'm dead or I wish I am dead. And I actually don't have much in the way of debt - I tend to pay as I go which means I don't have that much left over of course.

[+] Rate this post positively
[RIGHT] [/RIGHT]
[ #78 [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Exactly! Perfectly stated. And thanks for pointing out that not everyone carries debt. Even so, as you suggest, that doesn't mean that we have investment portfolios and fat accounts. I'd go far as to say that it's criminal that in America it's possible for some folks to work 40+ hours a week and still not make a wage that guarantees basic needs. Even for a single person making, let's say 30K a year (far above minimum wage), there's the tax penalty, the dressing for work, the car for work, the useless union dues...[/LEFT][/CENTER]
Great and accurate posts.
I am nearing retirement and plan on retiring even if I live on bread and water.

Wasn't America supposed to get better and better....working until you drop dead or retiring and living in fear.......that isn't better.

So pathetic in the "world's greatest country".

Old 03-02-2008, 11:35 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,464,672 times
Yes and I live in NJ - on 30K/year I'd be scraping by even if I rented next to a crack house in the ghetto...Compound that if someone actually has a child(ren) & I wouldn't be surprised if at that salary a person would be precluded from receiving much in the way of aid either...And now with the economy the way it is - starting salaries are decreasing. From what I have observed white collar professionals with ten years of experience are now taking jobs that pay in the 50sK - which given that rentals/mortgages are usually well over the $1,000 mark I can't begin to dream as to how they survive without having some sort of debt. Forget if they have children & those costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
Exactly! Perfectly stated. And thanks for pointing out that not everyone carries debt. Even so, as you suggest, that doesn't mean that we have investment portfolios and fat accounts. I'd go far as to say that it's criminal that in America it's possible for some folks to work 40+ hours a week and still not make a wage that guarantees basic needs. Even for a single person making, let's say 30K a year (far above minimum wage), there's the tax penalty, the dressing for work, the car for work, the useless union dues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement