Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 05:55 PM

50,023 posts, read 63,359,544 times

Advertisements

Beats me, OP. I hate not being relevant. I wouldn't have retired, but I had my job description "eliminated".
If you have plenty of money to do as you please, I expect that you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 05:56 PM

11,558 posts, read 11,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"Retirement" is not a different country or planet with different customs and languages. It is simply a time when one stops getting-up early and spending 8-12 hours in an office or otherwise doing a particular job.

Just as in pre-retirement, one determines their own pace, goals and accomplishments. True, retirement lacks the structure of the workplace and passes the responsibility for filling one's time - back to the individual. But, most people with even minimal imagination and initiative can make retirement work.

Most of those who find retirement boring, uneventful or stressful; or have difficulty filling their time, probably had no life outside of work, before they retired.
This sums it up!

Old 11-25-2016, 09:51 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,547,933 times
''Retirement'' isn't death or solitary confinement! LOL
It's freedom! Now you can be as busy or as lazy as you want to be on any given day.
It's a time to do things you always wanted to try and to explore new activities and grow in new ways.
No need to sit around and ''waste time'' if you want to be busy.
Besides, nothing says you can't go back to work for an employer or yourself part or full time if you'd prefer that lifestyle.
Retirement allows you choices and that is the best part of all.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:32 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,608,891 times
I'm not retired yet but I get terribly bored on 4 day weekends. I do NOT want to continue working after next year, but I am going to have to find something to do.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:39 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,961,956 times
Before I retired, a friend older than me retired from a factory job.

He and his wife lived in a newer house on acreage in the country and had an apple orchard and big lawn.

Once retired, he stated he will not work after 6pm.
That time was now devoted for him and his wife to go to ball games , watch TV, or just sit on the deck.

Since in his working days most of the tasks at home had to be done after 6pm, retirement was a nice way to rearrange his schedule to suit him.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:43 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,961,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"Retirement" is not a different country or planet with different customs and languages. It is simply a time when one stops getting-up early and spending 8-12 hours in an office or otherwise doing a particular job.

Just as in pre-retirement, one determines their own pace, goals and accomplishments. True, retirement lacks the structure of the workplace and passes the responsibility for filling one's time - back to the individual. But, most people with even minimal imagination and initiative can make retirement work.

Most of those who find retirement boring, uneventful or stressful; or have difficulty filling their time, probably had no life outside of work, before they retired.
(2nd paragraph ).........for many ( myself included) I thrive on structure and since retiring my structure has become more of a daily routine that I like to maintain but is still flexible enough to give me plenty of time free of structure to do............whatever.........I want,

Old 11-25-2016, 11:57 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,536,048 times
I would say that not everyone is good at managing a ton of free time - the kind of extensive free time that retirement brings.

People upthread have voiced this. They get bored, frustrated, feel anxious or at loose ends, want to accomplish something but can't quite get in gear to accomplish something, or they aren't able to find something satisfying for their particular personality and psyche - when life is no longer working at a regular job or profession that fills up the days.

These feelings can hit during regular weekends and longer holiday weekends while people are still working regular jobs and not retired - so when actually retired, it seems daunting.

I think others upthread painting a picture of retirement downplay the difficult feelings people can experience in retirement.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-26-2016 at 12:15 AM..

Old 11-26-2016, 01:48 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,732,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I am preparing to retire early in the next few years. I have a question for those who have successfully transitioned into retirement. How do you make that transition psychologically?
It is not as if you are going for a root canal or something. Retiring is supposed to be fun! And for us it has been. We wanted to shake things up a bit so we moved 2000 miles to the middle of the Pacific, bought 2 acres and have taken up farming, surfing and water color painting. It keeps us busy.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:52 AM

12,048 posts, read 10,185,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I would say that not everyone is good at managing a ton of free time - the kind of extensive free time that retirement brings.

People upthread have voiced this. They get bored, frustrated, feel anxious or at loose ends, want to accomplish something but can't quite get in gear to accomplish something, or they aren't able to find something satisfying for their particular personality and psyche - when life is no longer working at a regular job or profession that fills up the days.

These feelings can hit during regular weekends and longer holiday weekends while people are still working regular jobs and not retired - so when actually retired, it seems daunting.

I think others upthread painting a picture of retirement downplay the difficult feelings people can experience in retirement.
I haven't read them again to get a tally, but it appears that all the ones that "love" retirement have a partner in crime to share the daily toils. That can make a big difference. It can be difficult if you are not partnered up or are in a relationship that is not a real partnership.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:34 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,324,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I haven't read them again to get a tally, but it appears that all the ones that "love" retirement have a partner in crime to share the daily toils. That can make a big difference. It can be difficult if you are not partnered up or are in a relationship that is not a real partnership.

Nope, just me and the cat.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement