Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 01:15 PM

810 posts, read 1,182,962 times

Advertisements

I know this is a dividend fund. We had some extra money around and opened this up about 5 months ago. Constantly going down. It got such high reviews. With everything going up, why is this down? Any recommendations? I know it's just a very little bit we put into this, but it's obviously not the right tool. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 01:22 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
I noticed the same thing and also bought about a year ago and again about 5-months ago. I expected it to do better, but was pretty much buying as a comparison against some managed funds. It doesn't appear this one is making anyone any money.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:31 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
I know this is a dividend fund. We had some extra money around and opened this up about 5 months ago. Constantly going down. It got such high reviews. With everything going up, why is this down?
Wellsley's a bond-heavy fund, and bonds (especially munis) are being slaughtered right now.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:53 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Wellesley overall is not being slaughtered b/c of the equity component but, indeed, the bonds are taking a hit.

Wellesley YTD return is about 7.6%. Not bad for low-moderate risk. Fund is 50-60% bonds. Fund has been ticked down a bit recently because of expected rise in interest rates which causes bond prices to drop. Fund is off about 1.5% from its high in August as interest rates have gone up. Probably when OP bought. Nonetheless, Wellesley is a relatively safe place when times get bad.

I have 20-25% of my portfolio in this fund and will keep it that way. When the market takes a bad turn, that fund is the least stressed and can even show a gain. It's a great comfort.

VWINX Vanguard Wellesley® Income Inv Fund VWINX Quote Price News

I've learned over the past couple of years that funds seem to go down a bit after I buy in - but, over time, this reverses itself. Which is why "stay the course" is so important. Year-in and year-out the peaks and valleys level out. Over time, Wellesley will return anywhere between 5-7%.

Wellesley is a safe place for part of your money - although at this point short-term, it may not keep pace with a fund heavier in equities.

I generally keep about:

15% - Cash
25% - VWINX
20% - PRBLX - low risk, large cap, decent returns
40% - More aggressive growth funds

The first three keep the portfolio from going over a cliff when times get bad. That last 40% is invested with money I won't need for 10 years or more.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-12-2016 at 02:18 PM..

Old 12-12-2016, 01:57 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
It has large bond portfolio. It did great first half of the year and then it turned down. I switched my kid's retirement money from Wellesley to Wellington and was very happy about it.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:27 PM

810 posts, read 1,182,962 times
Thank you very much for your responses and explanations.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:05 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
All good answers. You didn't say how many other and what type of funds you have. If u bought it for dividends they are doing as expected. If you got it for capital gains that's another story. All in one mixed equity and bond funds have the disadvantage of needing to sell both the fixed and equity parts if u want to unload or buy just one part. That's another discussion

I do have both Wellesley and Wellington plus others.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:06 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
OP - Wellington has been performing better b/c it's top-heavy equities, but you can't buy it if you're not already in it or don't have an account at Vanguard. If you have an account at Vanguard, then it's a piece of cake.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:19 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
OP - Wellington has been performing better b/c it's top-heavy equities, but you can't buy it if you're not already in it or don't have an account at Vanguard. If you have an account at Vanguard, then it's a piece of cake.
At this age I am fortunate to have both money in and money out decisions and have developed what works for me which is multiple portfolios with multiple companies

Old 12-12-2016, 04:00 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Yes, Wellsley and Wellington are mirror images of each other. At approximately 60% bonds and 40% stocks, Wellsley is best for capital preservation and income generation. At approximately 60% stocks and 40% bonds, Wellington is oriented toward moderate capital growth, but is more volatile then Wellington. So, OP, what are your investment goals: preservation of existing money, or growth? I suspect growth, in which case you could either swap Wellsley for Wellington (if you have a Vanguard account) or supplement Wellsley with another fund that's stock-heavy to get the overall stock percentage of your portfolio higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement