Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:21 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,400,218 times

Advertisements

After going through all the steps to receive my benefit, I was very dismayed to find that my first check was never deposited. I called the 1-800 SS office and after waiting about 30 minutes the CSR told me that the account number was off by one digit and that the check had gone to someone else's account. She said I would now have to go to the SS office with identifying documents and that the check would be reissued after two months. Is it really this hard to get my benefit? Anyone else here have this kind of issue? I just hate to fall into a rabbit hole of bureaucracy if there is an easier way to fix this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 07:34 PM

138 posts, read 149,336 times
People in the centers who take calls to the 800# are minimally trained (one of the benefits of a shrinking government with reduced budgets).

Go to your local SSA office and get this quickly resolved.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:15 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,914 times
Best advice is to go to your local branch office. You might be able to get a hard check replacement quickly. Sorry for your troubles.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:08 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
The goverment has a lot of red tape so I think you have to just put up with it. Did SS send you any paperwork about your benefit and the account number it would be deposited too. This would be a good procedure

Old 11-26-2016, 03:48 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,763,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The goverment has a lot of red tape so I think you have to just put up with it. Did SS send you any paperwork about your benefit and the account number it would be deposited too. This would be a good procedure
They would have done this. I know I got the paperwork. I would check your account online and make sure you correct it.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:04 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,374,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
After going through all the steps to receive my benefit, I was very dismayed to find that my first check was never deposited. I called the 1-800 SS office and after waiting about 30 minutes the CSR told me that the account number was off by one digit and that the check had gone to someone else's account. She said I would now have to go to the SS office with identifying documents and that the check would be reissued after two months. Is it really this hard to get my benefit? Anyone else here have this kind of issue? I just hate to fall into a rabbit hole of bureaucracy if there is an easier way to fix this...
Are you expecting your SS $ or check BEFORE the first of the month? Are you getting SS via electronic direct deposit? When was your first SS $ to start? IF indeed the 1-800 contact is true..The off one digit could very well be a typo..Best to iron that out soon..ask for written correction..always ask to home you speak to as well!

I ask all this because..after all the legwork, production of proper documentation, proof of identity etc..Then there's a lag time for first payment..which usually stipulated any adjustments.

I'm surprised you called never received CK..because most have electronic direst deposit??? Anyway..what has the communications from your (local) SS office told you? Until the routine becomes regulated..Initiation for it will be lagged somewhat.

SS $ flows out after 1st of the month..never before then..any adjustments will be explained to your via "Snail mail.

I'm just trying to ask and explain why things happen the way they do...You would NOT believe what I went thru after my Vet husband died?? A whole different story.. It took me 5-6 months to iron it out..So eventually got all back owing $$ ..Good thing I didn't require it to pay monthly bills, eh?

Just call your local SS # as they can explain things..or go online and use your access info to see. Oh.. yes 2016 was the first year they did NOT increase it due to adapting the increase to fit inflation..usually about 1.5-2% .. but Not in 2016..

Given politics of today..who knows how SS payments will occur??????? Good luck tho...but the first few months tend to be always confusing!!

Old 11-26-2016, 04:38 PM

7,048 posts, read 6,300,442 times
So sorry to hear that you didn't receive your check. The representative I dealt with made me repeat my account number numerous times before she was satisfied that all was OK. Contact your local office as suggested.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:34 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,914 times
Once my sister switched direct deposit locations and put in the wrong number. Her deposit did not go in and the bank could not trace it.
She called SS and they verified that this was the reason she did not get her deposit and they entered the correct routing number for her bank while she was on the phone.
They mailed her a hard check the next week. This was last year.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:32 PM

49 posts, read 52,772 times
I will go to the local office next week and see what they say. Someone else told me that the routing number for direct deposit is slightly different than what is printed on your check so that might be the issue. However, if so, it was never explained by either the bank or SS and probably not common knowledge.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:32 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,631,078 times
Well if they had the wrong account # then it's a big problem. If they had of had the correct one it would have been automatically deposited with no worries. They have to be sure and recover that deposit so they can then credit it to you.
It won't happen overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement