Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:33 AM

106,771 posts, read 108,973,015 times

Advertisements

for me i think i will take the series 6 and try my hand at selling financial products that cater to boomers.

since really helping people and educating them is a hobby of mine i think offering the right products where needed could really help boomers.

our other love is photography and lately doing things with flowers has been something we really enjoy. we would like to do something in retail with that perhaps selling various things with our work on them.

we do that on a small scale now on our website but we are entertaining doing something on a larger scale.

here are a few we did the last 2 weeks .

'

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-02-2012 at 03:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
Mathjak--those are absolutely stunning photos!

I wish there was a way to make money from my hobby of travelling around the coastal SE, visiting various retirement communities, and posting about it on city-data! But then again, the moment you start making money from something, that's also the moment that your opinions can be seen as being for sale. Plus you start having to follow procedures and it stops being as much fun.

The photo idea is appealing, too--I love going out and taking a "photo of the day". But if I did it to make money then I suppose I would have to take much better photos and not just take the obviously amateur but fun photos I take right now. Now if there was a way to be paid for looking at mathjak's gorgeous photos--I could look at his photos all day so that's one hobby I could turn into a goldmine!

Last edited by Caladium; 08-02-2012 at 05:08 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 05:33 AM

483 posts, read 666,159 times
Sitting in front of a computer and writing has a lot of appeal for me (especially since that's what I'm doing at this very moment). But I would like to take it from the message boards and into the blogosphere (I can't believe I just wrote "blogosphere"...)

I hear of so many people who make a living writing blogs but I have no idea how one can make a decent living from that activity. If anyone knows the secret, I'd love to know it. Of course, then it wouldn't be a secret...

Old 08-02-2012, 06:05 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,926,648 times
Driving a courtesy van for a car dealership.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:26 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,499,666 times
Quote:
if you could turn some of your hobbies into a retirement profession what would you do?

I would become a travel planner/agent/consultant.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Deliver new Paccar vehicles (Peterbilts, Kenworth).

Relocate airplanes, yachts, racecars around the world for the rich and famous.

Checking out obscure cafes / boarding houses / Agritourimos on the backroads of North and South America, Europe and Asia.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,409,620 times
Those are indeed stunning pics, thanks for sharing them.

If I could make a living sailing, working with dogs, being a conservationist I would - but none are likely. If I get bored with retirement, maybe I'll think more seriously about it.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 AM

698 posts, read 1,052,326 times
teaching and creative writing, which is what i do as hobbies, but neither could be called a profession. i've been writing for pleasure and occasionally for publications since i was a young adult, but it was always an avocation, rather than a profession.
for many years i sang very semi-professionally as a paid soloist in various church choirs and choral groups; but my voice isn't what it once was and there is no appropriate, satisfying outlet for choral singing where i live now.

catsy girl

Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,982,756 times
I see plenty of retirees doing the crafts fairs - the upscale ones with photography, ceramics, jewelry, etc. To get a booth is not that expensive. Many of the artisans I talked with at the Burlington VT crafts fair last week were retirees, I bought some beautiful ceramics from a retired school teacher. They have their production time, and then their time at the fairs, some of them with RVs. They seem to make quite a bit of income from this. Sounds like a great retirement plan to me.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,845,174 times
Those are amazing photos and you have a wonderful eye and skill for seeing beauty that others might overlook!

I love preaching and teaching God's Word and have done so for the last 30-years ... while, at the same time, considering my full-time 'day-job' somewhat of a 'tent shop' (to support the ministry). Since retiring from my day-job, I'm now free to engage in whatever preaching/teaching opportunities arise, without the interference of a work schedule. God and life are good! (I've never charged for the ministry ... even marriages, funerals etc, but, then, I get 'paid excessively' in other ways).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement