Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 06:24 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times

Advertisements

I've ordered from Coastal lenses and was very happy with the whole process. The whole process is a walk through and very well explained, all you need is your prescription. They were trifocals, and under 100. I've referred several folks because this was so user friendly and such quality glasses.
https://www.coastal.com/eyewear?src=..._b_be_d_c_vi__
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 10:03 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I recently started to need reading glasses so ordered distance and bi-focals from Costco. Couldn't really see well through them so had Dr. check prescription. All was OK. His assistant said ...

... but I get a head ache wearing them.

... Same problem (headaches/eye strain) with the reading glasses.
The 'Dr.' that you saw was likely an optician or optometrists. You may need to see an ophthalmologist.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:41 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,049,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The 'Dr.' that you saw was likely an optician or optometrists. You may need to see an ophthalmologist.
You are right in that the one I saw was optometrist and he was incredibly lame. He works for Lenscrafter. I had seen him based on friends and family reporting good results with their new digital prescription technology (but had gone to different locations). What I didn't realize is that not all locations have it. This guy's website says he does but when you get there he does the old fashioned exam and by that time it is too late to back out. I went to the Lenscrafter web site because I was confused as to why I didn't get this new high tech exam and they show him as not having the technology.

But back to optometrist vs ophthalmologist. I have actually seen quite a few ophthalmologist over my life because I get infections and corneal ulcers in my eyes. What I have found, and had their own office staff tell me, is that they aren't that good at eye glass prescriptions because they don't do that many of them. I've had them refund my money for their expensive glasses and send me on my way after they've tried and failed a few times. However knowing what I know now it probably wasn't the prescription. It was likely my inability to see through polycarb lenses. I didn't know that some people have a materials incompatibility with polycarb and I just happen to be one of those people.

I agree that maybe I need to see another person. I'm just not sure who that person should be. If do see clearly out of this prescription when made with plastic but there does feel like some eye strain. However I'm trying to remember if I felt that with the distance lenses from Costco prior to getting all these new glasses from Zenni. Maybe switching between them is causing the problem particularly if the P.D. for the reading glasses is too small.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:49 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,029,327 times
Zenni is a mess. I wanted to order from them but who has time or know-how to do all that measuring? Not me!

I use regular bifocals, 2.50. I get all mine from Boomers In The Know:

Boomers in the Know - Sunglasses Readers | Full Reading Lens Sunglasses | Magnifying Sunglasses | Bifocal Sunglasses Boomers

Old 12-07-2016, 02:45 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
I get my eyes examined yearly by an Ophthalmologist which Medicare pays for. I take the prescription and I order from Zenni. I have a PD tool/ruler from Zenni so I know that number. I order lineless bifocals and one thing I learned about lineless bifocals is the larger the lens (height and width) the easier they are to use. When I tried smaller more stylish lenses, it was a disaster.

I recommend Zenni.

I still buy 2.75 magnifiers and have them laying all (car, golf bag, etc.) about for quick and easy use but when in the house, I wear my prescription glasses.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:08 PM

903 posts, read 664,395 times
My ophthalmologist gave me my RX. I ordered from $39 glasses. I printed out the ruler did the measurement and ordered my glasses. Two pair actually. No problems and so much cheaper. My hubby went through the local optician and paid $450 for 1 pair and I got 2 for a lot less then that. I did no line bifocals and transition lenses and all the other choices and got 2 pair for less than his 1 pair.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:12 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times
When you get eye exam, ask for the pupaliry distance. You pay for the exam this information is yours to use as you wish. Don't feel obligated to buy the over priced glasses from the optometrist.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:20 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
When you get eye exam, ask for the pupaliry distance. You pay for the exam this information is yours to use as you wish. Don't feel obligated to buy the over priced glasses from the optometrist.
Ophthalmologists stopped doing this measurement as they say it a function/need to know for the eye glass maker not the Ophthalmologist for an eye exam/prescription.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:44 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I recently started to need reading glasses so ordered distance and bi-focals from Costco. Couldn't really see well through them so had Dr. check prescription. All was OK. His assistant said it may be a materials incompatibility with polycarb so I had them both remade with plastic. Could then see great out of the distance one but the bi-focals still bothered me. I figured it was the line and image jump so decided to order dedicated readers.

Through this forum I found Zenni. I ordered three pairs, progressive for about $50, computer for about $15 and readers for about $30 (frame was a bit more expensive than the computer). I used Zenni customer support and an on-line tool to convert the prescription so as to double check and to make sure I had done it correctly.

Here are my problems:
The progressives are great if you like looking down to see distance. It appears the intermediate zone is right in the line of sight so I have to tilt my chin down to see out the top of the glasses to see distance clearly. I tried to order a second pair and asked them to move it down a bit. They e-mailed back that their standard was 5 mm above the center height of the glasses. I measured this on my old pairs just to see if it would ever work and for me it is just too high. It puts it smack dab in the center of my pupil when my head is level. Do all places place this so high? If not where have you ordered that puts it lower?

The computer glasses (22"-26" distance) are great but I get a head ache wearing them. Zenni told me to reduce my pupil distance (P.D.) by 3 millimeters for reading glasses. So my 56 went to a 53. However I subsequently read that for computer you should keep it the same as for distance. When people order computer glasses what distance do they order for and what P.D. do they use?

Same problem (headaches/eye strain) with the reading glasses. These are adjusted for a 12" reading distance. I can't buy the standard ones because my reading glass correction is negative and they only sell positive ones. I'm wondering if because my P.D. is smaller I need to correct for the shorter distance less by ordering it only 1mm or 2mm less and not 3mm. What have been folks experience ordering reading glasses? Do they change the P.D. at all and if so by how much? Also helps to know your original P.D. to see if it is similar to mine or much larger. From what I read mine is the very low end of the adult range.

Suggestions for other web sites you have had good luck with?
This site has a discussion by an optician about a reliable method of measuring PD.

the Optician: Measuring Your Own Pupillary Distance

Old 12-09-2016, 06:10 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
mic111,

I have substracted the same values (1mm for computer, 2mm for reading glasses) for myself, my husband and several family members with PDs range from 58mm to 62mm. So I don't believe that the appropriate reduction values change much with PD values.
Hi BellaDL,
Are you saying the prescription is the same for all kinds of reading like computer etc? It is PD that determines the readability? Am I understanding that? Hanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement