Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 08:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Why do some people feel compelled to keep busy every minute of the day? I wonder if many feel they have to because it's expected of them in retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 09:35 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
Dunno. For me there's nothing like a lazy day in the recliner with a good book and a pot of coffee on the counter. Even better if it rains and I have the windows and patio door open and hear the water splashing and smell the rain cleansed air. Nap, read, nap,...bliss!

Old 12-11-2016, 11:05 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Dunno. For me there's nothing like a lazy day in the recliner with a good book and a pot of coffee on the counter. Even better if it rains and I have the windows and patio door open and hear the water splashing and smell the rain cleansed air. Nap, read, nap,...bliss!
Sounds great, FL. My mum's been retired for 18-yrs. She reads 3-4 books/wk & has for 18-yrs. I can't imagine there are any other books on the library shelves for her to delve into!

I have 20-yrs more to work, but I'm looking forward to not rushing, not watching the clock & having everyday feel like a lazy Sunday flipping through art books, having sewing projects, swimming, visiting museums, having long lunches on the veranda... can't wait.

To the OP, further upstream someone mentioned night classes & that you worked in accounting. Perhaps teaching your own accounting class at an adult education center might interest you, especially since you can determine the subject matter (it doesn't need to be accounting, but many of us could use a class or 2) & length of the course.

Someone also mentioned an accounting blog. Great idea or how about a blog about being a retired wife of a still working partner & discussing the pros & challenges... or on your favorite hobby.

In any event, good luck & enjoy your new direction in life! Happy journeys.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:18 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Like Rick Steves' says: Keep on Traveling.

Pretty much every day, I am either researching a trip, actively planning a specific trip, or on a trip.

We travel independently....no cruises, group travel, travel agents. I book everything from flights, rental houses (our preference over hotels), car rentals, visas (when needed).

The both of us prepare for a trip by reading about the area, not just travel info, but books about the culture of the country, its history, etc.

At ages 64 and 65, we figure we have 10-15 years of active travel left....and there's so much world to see!

Old 12-12-2016, 08:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Too many places, too little money and time. We really need to win Powerball. At least that wouls take care of the money part.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:20 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Worked at a software company for almost 30 years. Many co-workers have either retired or gotten downsized out. I don't know any of them who are bored in retirement, and that includes even the most workaholic workaholics. The only ones I know who are working are those who need it to supplement income. Everyone else says they are so busy, they don't know how they found time to work!

Old 12-14-2016, 06:44 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Why do some people feel compelled to keep busy every minute of the day? I wonder if many feel they have to because it's expected of them in retirement.
Some people look for meaning in their lives. They want to learn, to grow, to plan, to set goals and to achieve. It is often called self directed behavior.

A great many people do not fall into that category. Many are "followers" who more or less do what society expects of them. I refer to it as "drifting" through life. They go to school, get married, have kids, and then struggle to raise kids and make a living. A great many face unexpected events and traumatic events such as divorce. Sometimes just coping and getting by is all we can handle. At the end we feel we deserve a rest and we get it.....we die. Some of us want more.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:06 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Different versions of "busy"?

One sibling watches daytime tv all day. That is her version. When anyone mentions watching The View, I feel all icky. But then I watched cnn all day during the election season.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:55 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Different versions of "busy"?

One sibling watches daytime tv all day. That is her version. When anyone mentions watching The View, I feel all icky. But then I watched cnn all day during the election season.
Good point. If that makes everyone happy then good for them. "Busy" should be defined by what makes the individual happy and content and not some life script dictating what should be expected of them at any given point in their lives.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:55 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I retired at 53. I always have too much to do. I volunteer, read, write, and always stay busy. I go out a lot around town too. I'm just so darn happy to have time to do what I want. I spent my whole life doing what other people told me I had to do. And now I don't do those things!

I have worked from time to time because I wanted to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement