Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2016, 10:16 AM

888 posts, read 890,022 times

Advertisements

So who here is in a similar boat to me?

Planned on retiring this year; selling business; didn't happen; so 2017 will be still in the "rat race". I know I'm not the only "mule in the barn" here on this one. Doesn't have to be a business owner but employed and planned on pulling the plug and it didn't happen.

I'm at peace with this outcome for I can always try again and I don't despise what I do. I must admit, the reading here have had a strong reflective impact on me and the pondering/decisions to be made in the inevitable entry one day into retirement-land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 08:58 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,110 times
I'm sorry your plans were overset, but you have such a great attitude about it! I'm not someone in the same boat, just wanted to send good wishes.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:57 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
I was eligible to retire in 2015 but chickened out. I decided that I was not fully comfortable with my planned retirement income and was in a position where working two more years would significantly increase both my pension and investments. My attitude since has not been the best but it was my decision and I have a good job - just am burnt out after 32 years. But I'm definitely retiring in 2017. Working an extra year or more to bolster your retirement income is common – often called the One More Year Syndrome. In your case, it sounds like the retirement delay may be due to issues selling your business. It took my friend's father a couple of attempts before selling his business and even then he had to make some compromises. That would be frustrating.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:01 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
My response on my friend's dad was a little negative. It took him longer than expected to sell his business and he had to float them a loan. But he sold to an experienced small company at a good price and in the end he got his money and it all turned out well. Good luck with your business dealings!

Old 12-19-2016, 09:05 AM

888 posts, read 890,022 times
Thanks for your comments and well-wishes. There are lots of business owners floating around way past traditional retirement age for various reasons. For some, a business owner's business is akin to his man cave (what is a woman's equivalent of a man cave?), also known as cheap adult day care, a daily part-of-the-day honey do haven.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:41 PM

231 posts, read 495,202 times
Also made the decision to sell my 103 year old family business. I'm turning 70 in 2017 and would work longer, but wife is in NC and business is in Midwest. This means I commute each month. Been doing this over 8 years now. 40% of days in NC, 60% in Midwest. Wife is in poor health, so it's time to make the move.

Trying to find a buyer for a small business in a town of 3000 is difficult, if not impossible. Good luck with your decisions in how and when to sell and the choices during the retirement period. For me, no hobbies, work-a-holic, so I'm really in a pickle trying to get a life an be active, both mentally and physically.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:39 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Right now I am in the mode of "whew ... I didn't get unwillingly early retired this year." I plan to be in that mode until my wife is 65 or so, or, is ready to retire, whichever comes first. At that point, I will evaluate the situation and replan if needed.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:04 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
Yeah, we're still in the rat race too. Work gets harder every year. I find I'm out on the job more and more helping, taking up the slack. We don't think we'll be able to sell all this as a whole business, more likely sell off the assets. I think DH is finally realizing he can't do this forever. And I can't keep taking up the slack either. Depending on the type of job one is doing and their mental and physical health, it can be really hard to keep on at our ages.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:57 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
At least the economy should be good for 2017 so I would work hard on finding a buyer. At some point the economic will tank and you do not still want to be trying to sell then.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:29 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Definately have One More Year syndrome here also. December 2017 is my final answer!

Retirement goals:
Summer 2018 - go to Burning Man
Fall - Elk Rut in Yellowstone
Winter - Skiing in Angle Fire or Red River, NM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement