Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:22 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Your SSDI will convert to regular SSI at the current rate you're receiving (according to what SS told me) when you turn 65 so what's the point of worrying given your current age?
It converts to regular SS, not SSI. SSI is the program for the disabled who don't have enough earnings to receive SSDI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 09:37 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
I went on SSDI because I could not stand or walk because or Arthritis, I got a job driving and was able to collect my full benefit until I turned 66 and then It converted automatically to Social Security at the exact same benefit. You do not lose any benefit when you switch from Disability to SS.

People who laugh at Arthritis are just jerks. They will find out eventually.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:42 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Don't be too quick to judge. SSDI is not easy to get and it's almost impossible to get it fraudulently. SSDI and Medicaid usually go together. Many disabled people are capable of working and many would LIKE to work. But they are ill or have medical needs that make them uninsurable in the real world. IF they could get insurance, it would cost more than they make.

It's a Catch-22. Maybe you can work and make enough to be OK giving up the SSDI. But you can't afford the monthly premium for health insurance. And if you qualified for SSDI...you can't afford to go without health insurance because you are disabled and have ongoing medical needs. Even though you might be able to work a few hours a week and keep your SSDI, those few hours may be enough to end your Medicaid eligibility.

The ACA solved this dilemma for some people. They were guaranteed insurance at a cost determined by their income. Many gave up their disability payments. Now ACA is most likely history so these people are going back on disability so they can get insurance.

To the OP- Be very careful if you have both SSDI and Medicaid. The financial eligibility is not identical for both these programs. You may be able to have a part time job that lets you keep SSDI but it could make you ineligible for Medicaid.
regarding your 1st paraghraph..........plenty of fraud in SSDI.

If it wasn't a 'racket" , why would there be that many lawyers making a living out of it ?

A lawyer's job is to get the results their clients want.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:46 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
that doesn't make any sense because in order to get SSDI you have to have worked and payed into Social Security. It is not a welfare program.
Many people have private disability insurance.
If they are drawing on it using fraud it would be welfare, also, if the Federal Govt was the one writing the policy.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:09 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
that doesn't make any sense because in order to get SSDI you have to have worked and payed into Social Security. It is not a welfare program.

Lifetime Welfare was abolished in 1995... wow, look at what happened to the growth.. payments is HIGHER than receipts...

Old 12-21-2016, 10:25 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,980,674 times
You're correct. Typo on my end.

Quote:
It's not SDI, it's SSI. SDI usually refers to 'state disability'. SSI is the program for disabled who have insufficient social security earnings to receive SSDI

Old 12-21-2016, 10:59 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
regarding your 1st paraghraph..........plenty of fraud in SSDI.
If it wasn't a 'racket" , why would there be that many lawyers making a living out of it ?
A lawyer's job is to get the results their clients want.
SSDI fraud is rare Commissioner Astrue who served in the Bush administration stated that fraud constitutes less than 1% of the programs outlays

Attorney's represent litigants in dozens of areas, real estate law, malpractice, personal injury, breach of contract, etc. Attorney's make a living on representing clients, why is it a "racket" when they defend an SSDI claimant?

Old 12-21-2016, 11:30 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
almost impossible to get fraudulently ? guess you don't watch enough judge judy . just about every person on her show on ssdi is on because they are being sued for poor craftsmanship or unfinished work as they renovate houses on the side .
you know those Venn diagrams? Judge Judy watchers probably overlap Trump voters significantly.

Lately I have been thinking deeply about unintended consequences. Often times conservatives think well I don't have much so let's make sure those with less have EVEN LESS. Let's cut food stamps or SSDI or whatever, some tiny little program relatively speaking. Well what'll happen to your car parked on a public street? THINK McFly. THINK! Forget others. Think of what is best for you/family. You think cutting people off SSDI or encouraging them to rot on it and not work... is gonna help your public safety?

This explains why Trump was elected. Low-information voters. Frankly facts don't seem to matter anymore. I am wondering where this will lead us as a whole. 1984, perhaps. Wait a sec... were you being funny? This just occurred to me. If so.. yes you got a good chuckle outta me! I do enjoy dry cynical humor too!

Old 12-21-2016, 11:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
SSDI fraud is rare Commissioner Astrue who served in the Bush administration stated that fraud constitutes less than 1% of the programs outlays

Attorney's represent litigants in dozens of areas, real estate law, malpractice, personal injury, breach of contract, etc. Attorney's make a living on representing clients, why is it a "racket" when they defend an SSDI claimant?
To add to this, many/most SSDI claims end up in front of a judge where an attorney while not required are necessary in my opinion. I personally know of one current claim for a person who absolutely deserves to be on SSDI and the doctors reports were very clear that she can't work due to injuries.
Hired an attorney and after almost a year she started getting checks (but never got to court). Then after about 6 months they cut her off with no notice and after she called they said they made an error giving it to her. After another 7 months they started them up again and even back paid her then after 3 months told her "ooops, we made a mistake starting payments again and by the way, return your back payments".
She's still waiting to get in front of a judge now going on 2 years, who will most likely approve her claim based on medical evidence.

This is not the first time I've heard of crap like this with SSDI, rarely have I ever heard of people getting it on first application or before at least a year of run around.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:39 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
almost impossible to get fraudulently ? guess you don't watch enough judge judy . just about every person on her show on ssdi is on because they are being sued for poor craftsmanship or unfinished work as they renovate houses on the side .
If you're taking life lessons from "Judge Judy" you're in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement