Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 11:12 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times

Advertisements

My comment about the younger generation's preference for texting in another thread leads to this new thread about things which recently got this senior into the texting crowd.

I hate texting through tiny cellphone screen and use cellphones only while on the road so I hardly send or receive text messages.

Recently, there are many online portals require you to have a second secure verification way to access your accounts. The most common one is text messaging. This forced me to figure out how to get and receive text messaging on larger devices like my tablet Nexus 7 or my new Ipad Pro (bought it last Thanksgiving with $200 off).

Here are some nifty things which I recently discovered:

1. You can get a fullsize folding keyboard to type messages on your phone or tablet. I bought this one which can connect through blue tooth or usb with your smartphones, tablets and laptops

http://tinyurl.com/hcwbj93

2. If you don't have unlimited text messaging or need to send text messages when your phone is not available (without cellphone coverage or in a foreign country), you can get a free text app (works with iphone, ipad, android devices through wifi).

The one I tried on both my ipad and Nexus7 is textfree by pinger. You can get unlimited text messaging usage but can choose to pay something like 99c for 100 minutes of phone calls.

Pinger: Text and Talk Free with Textfree

I tested the app by sending and receiving messages to my palm pixi phone and to my daughter's android smartphone. My daughter was very happy that I became one of the texters. She texted that she usually replied instantly to text messages but did not check her emails or voice messages often.

All my friends have also reported to me that texting is their children's preferred and sometimes only method of communication!

Happy texting my fellow senior citizens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 12:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
For me, texting is the equivalent of the telegram. Short and necessary info to the recipient, a message that doesn't warrant a phone call...'running a bit late, the girls are on their way.' 'Pick up bread please.'

If I want a real conversation I text and say something like 'what time can I call you' or 'call me when you have a minute.' Way too often texting is a substitute for real-life interaction. I don't care what the trend is.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Those are good texting tips! I'm saving them...I know about attachable keyboards, but not free text app's.

I've never used texting to communicate. But I know that I'm not made for texting because I find short messages (using email) often insulting - to me it says that the person does not want to take the time to even express a few thoughts, as if it isn't worth the time or energy to do so!

(not talking about people in a hurry to get somewhere or get to work, etc)

Last edited by matisse12; 12-26-2016 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-26-2016, 01:11 PM

The full size folding keyboard is great for typing whether it is short text, long emails or forum discussion. I only bring my tablets during trips and find typing emails or messages difficult and tedious without a keyboard.

Regarding texting, I think it is a great way to contact someone. I agree with RB and Matisse than phone conversation or emails are superior, and much more meaningful ways to communicate but texting seems to be the best way to reach the other person (especially the young folks) quickly.

My daughter works 10 hours a day or more for 4 days a week. She usually travels during her off days (Sat, Sunday and Monday). There is hardly a weekend that she and her boyfriend not hiking or camping. She is a hard worker, both at work and home. I don't know how she manages to have a garden, raise chickens, make soaps, other DIY projects + take care of 3 dogs and 2 cats with her very dedicated work life. Texting is the best way to contact her quickly. She does not call us often (once or so a month) but each time, it is always a wonderful, long and meaningful conversation.

I know that many boomers don't have high opinions about millennials especially when it comes to work ethic, life styles or personal commitments etc. Their way of living, attitude about life, ways of expressing themselves or communicating may be different from ours. However, deep down, I find many of them share the same core values with our generations. We just have to be more accepting and adjusting our wavelengths to match theirs if we want to maintain a mutual benefiting relationship.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:28 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
I was aware of keyboards to attach to tablets and iPads. I was not aware of the free text app's you mention.

I do not know anything about 'millennials' although I think the term is silly and ridiculous. I'm not one to use the terms 'millennials' and 'boomers'. I would never put 'millennials' down, as I know nothing about them - nor can they necessarily be attributed as having characterisitics as a group, rather than as individuals.

Not having high opinions (as you suggest) of 'millennials' for work ethic, personal commitments, way of living, attitude about life, ways of expressing themselves is far out of my realm - I don't know any millennials and have no opinion on them. Other than I like multiple thoughts and more than a passing sentence in my email communication from people of all ages, and I don't enjoy feeling like someone doesn't feel like putting effort into communication, as it feels insulting to me.

I consider calling parents once a month - a lot of calling. Twice a month, even more a lot.

On another topic, I do not understand your wish to move to the Pacific Northwest or Olympia Peninsula, since you always express your life in such glowing terms in the Hudson Valley, as if you're having the most wonderful life & everything is so incredibly terrific for you - other than you said you wish to be geographically closer to this daughter (and emotionally too I would guess in spending more time together) ...which apparently is enough to prompt the move. But no need to go further into that topic.

P.S. I (or we) do not need a lecture from you on preferring longer emails rather than very brief texts, and how it applies to a generation. Yes, of course, texts have their place.

Last edited by matisse12; 12-26-2016 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-26-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

On another topic, I do not understand your wish to move to the Pacific Northwest or Olympia Peninsula, since you always express your life in such glowing terms in the Hudson Valley, as if you're having the most wonderful life & everything is so incredibly terrific for you - other than you said you wish to be closer to this daughter....which apparently is enough to prompt the move.
P.S. I (or we) do not need a lecture from you on preferring longer emails rather than very brief texts, and how it applies to a generation. Yes, of course, texts have their place
Several reasons for wanting to relocate:

1. Closer to daughter. Prior to this year, we only saw our daughter once a year. Moving to Spokane, we will likely to see her at least once a month & do many things with her. Our daughter, her boyfriend and us share the same outdoor love, nature, hiking and photography. Our daughter insisted on flying to Spokane to spend 3 days with us on our house hunting trip next month. It is <$100 RT and 25 minutes flight from Boise to Spokane.

2. Cost of living. We will save ~$10K a month in state income tax (our income in retirement is high with RMDs starting with my husband's requirement next year & I am converting IRA to ROTH IRA before collecting my SS), and likely save $3-5K in property tax by moving from NY to WA. This ~$15K saving per year will pay for many trips.

3. Change of living environment. We enjoy living in the Hudson Valley but also love hiking, camping out West. The Western States have many beautiful National Parks and Forests for us to explore either by car or in our little plane. We have spent almost 25 years in the East. It's time to explore a new living environment.

Regarding your P.S. comment:

Gee-whiz, I never dream of lecturing anybody here especially you! I thought I was just stating my agreement & my POV regarding the generational difference. My apology.

Last edited by BellaDL; 12-26-2016 at 01:55 PM..

Old 12-26-2016, 09:25 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Texting is short and to the point. I don't need the niceties of hello, goodbye, and polite small talk that a phone call requires with my son, DIL or DH when all that is needed is "at the park", "9:00" or "eggs". It was easy for me to embrace texting, once I realize the simplicity of it.

If a conversation requires more than a few back and forth texts, I opt for a phone call if it will be shorter. I use whatever works best for me, while at the same trying to be considerate and not impose on other people's time with unnecessary long-winded interruptions in either person, on a call or with a text.

Letters were replaced by phone calls, emails replaced phone calls and texting is eclipsing emails. Other than a brief note in a greeting card, I can't remember the last time I received a chatty letter. I've noticed phone calls and personal emails are both becoming less common for me these days also. I wonder how quickly texting will be replaced and by what.

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-26-2016 at 09:57 PM..

Old 12-26-2016, 09:57 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I use email the same way I'd use a letter, for distance friends, chatty, conversational. I do love to type and feel very fluent on a real keyboard. I dislike phone conversations on cell phones, especially because the other person is often moving away from the phone, doing other things, etc.
I don't have a smartphone because I don't want a computer in my pocket, plus the screen is so small and my eyesight is already not so great. I have a flip phone for the car and will likely use it as my only phone when I move in retirement, but then, I don't use the phone for long conversations as a rule.
I will not text.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:12 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Texting is short and to the point. I don't need the niceties of hello, goodbye, and polite small talk that a phone call requires with my son, DIL or DH when all that is needed is "at the park", "9:00" or "eggs". It was easy for me to embrace texting, once I realize the simplicity of it.

If a conversation requires more than a few back and forth texts, I opt for a phone call if it will be shorter. I use whatever works best for me, while at the same trying to be considerate and not impose on other people's time with unnecessary long-winded interruptions in either person, on a call or with a text.

Letters were replaced by phone calls, emails replaced phone calls and texting is eclipsing emails. Other than a brief note in a greeting card, I can't remember the last time I received a chatty letter. I've noticed phone calls and personal emails are both becoming less common for me these days also. I wonder how quickly texting will be replaced and by what.
Instagram, Snapchat.

My kids (20s) mostly communicate with each other via Snapchat and their Snapchat "stories".

Old 12-26-2016, 11:04 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
I'm a serious geek, and have all the technologies. I still had resisted texting as inferior to talking until once when I was parked at the "cellphone lot" of the airport for Portland, waiting for DH to land so I could drive up to the terminal to pick him up. There's a 15-or-so minute period where ... I had seen his plane fly over ... he was debarking ... waiting for luggage ...

... and we texted all that. It was fun!!!

Then we (DH and I) were driving/camping around Oregon with iffy connections. I started exchanging texts with the sister I most often talk to, because the phone connection was so wonky. It was just less frustrating to send texts because at least they finally reached each other.

So, now I'm comfortable with texting. And given that I have some social anxiety (high end of autistic maybe, something else maybe, who knows?) . . . I like texting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement