Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 08:12 PM

150 posts, read 154,240 times

Advertisements

Looking for a simple will form I can use that can be used here in US abs overseas. Where can I find a will form?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 09:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
If these free will forms do not suffice, let me know and I will provide more.

Free Last Will and Testament Form

Free Legal Forms - Free to Download & Print

Free Will Form and Guidelines on How to Write a Will

Old 12-27-2016, 07:24 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCD999 View Post
Looking for a simple will form I can use that can be used here in US abs overseas. Where can I find a will form?
I am assuming the "abs overseas" is a typo for "and overseas."

If you own assets overseas, you should get a will in that country. When we owned a home in Mexico we had to have a MXN will drawn as advised by both our US attorney and our MXN attorney.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:11 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Many states will honor a hand written will that is signed and dated.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:23 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
If you die with no living relatives and want to give your estate to charity, who would you name executor? Could you name the state, or would they do it anyway if you don't name an executor?

Old 12-27-2016, 11:03 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
If you die with no living relatives and want to give your estate to charity, who would you name executor? Could you name the state, or would they do it anyway if you don't name an executor?
You would certainly not name your state. your best bet would be to name the charity you want to leave it to.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:23 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
I had a lawyer draw up a will for me and my wife. Gave him all the important information and gave him a week to finalize it. When I read it, I thought it was very vague, but the lawyer (who specializes in "end of life documents") said this was a normal boiler plate will.

After charging me $500 for the work, I walked away disappointed. Maybe it was because I spent 30 years as an engineer and had to be exact in any documentation I drew up. I told him this.

Any future wills or family paper work, I will do. Lawyers are very over paid for what they do.

Go the software route, don't use a lawyer.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:05 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I had a lawyer draw up a will for me and my wife. Gave him all the important information and gave him a week to finalize it. When I read it, I thought it was very vague, but the lawyer (who specializes in "end of life documents") said this was a normal boiler plate will.

After charging me $500 for the work, I walked away disappointed. Maybe it was because I spent 30 years as an engineer and had to be exact in any documentation I drew up. I told him this.

Any future wills or family paper work, I will do. Lawyers are very over paid for what they do.

Go the software route, don't use a lawyer.
I would expect a lot of a will to be boiler plate so that it meets the state and federal laws.

However I would think it would be very specific on how to distribute your assets. However if you said to just divide them between x I would expect him to write that.

Does your will have a provision for a separate writing? It should if you have very specific wishes on who gets what from your non financial assets.

Also if you have financial accounts that have beneficiaries these would not have to be repeated in the will as the beneficiary designation overrides the will.

Sounds like you did not find a good attorney.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:20 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I had a will when I was married to my ex. I did it from something I printed up online and then took it to be notarized.

I want to draw up another will with my present husband and my question is, will it still be legal if we move to a different state? And is there a way to leave something to his son and grandchildren who live in the UK? dh wants to leave little things like his dad's WWI medals to his son, for example.

Another idea, btw, is to use the senior center. We never go to ours but don't they have people who will do this sort of thing for free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement