Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post

Chemicals, additives, pollutants etc may cause some illnesses but can not be blamed for making people fat. Furthermore, it is obvious that these external factors are not responsible for people's sedentary life!
Surprisingly they can cause unwanted weight gain. The hormones added to our meat interfere with the body's endocrine system and do cause unwanted fat deposits. You can find many online studies confirming the connection.

I began noticing some years ago that young girls were gaining weight in places that you used to only see on older women - upper arms and shoulders, under the breast line. And I am startled to see the number of thirty-somethings riding scooters in the shopping centers.

I always think the more extra weight you are carrying the more difficult it will be to get the exercise that you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 07:34 PM

888 posts, read 889,652 times
I get a big kick out of the lyrics of a song that goes: "I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in."

Old 01-06-2017, 09:49 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
While I agree that there are more harmful chemicals, additives in our food/drink and more pollutants, the facts show that american life expectancy has increased over the years

Life Expectancy at Birth by Race and Sex, 1930–2010

It is clear that better and advanced medical/health care plays a big role in prolonging life, and longer life does not equate to better health condition. However, I think that better understanding and education has contributed to improved health of many people (more pollutant controls, fewer smokers, more emphasis on physical education).

It is also a fact that Americans have become more sedentary and consuming more junk foods. Children programs are filled with ads for sugary cereals, calories rich snacks. Adult programs are loaded with ads for fast foods, beers etc.

One one hand, we have a segment of the population (mostly in big coastal cities) who are very health conscious and do all the right things (don't smoke, drink moderately, eat healthy food, exercise etc.). On the other hand, many people continue to merrily eat and drink their way to obesity while living a sedentary life gluing to their desk/monitor at work and the tube at home!

IMO, the bottom line is that it is still the individual responsibility to take good care of themselves AND their children. It's sad to see fat children of obese people being constantly fed all the sugary/fatty foods and drinks.

Chemicals, additives, pollutants etc may cause some illnesses but can not be blamed for making people fat. Furthermore, it is obvious that these external factors are not responsible for people's sedentary life!
In general, I tend to land on the "personal responsibility" end of things when it comes to health. It drives me insane that being overweight has become so normal in our society.

At the same time, we have been absolutely bombarded with unhealthy foods over the past few decades. And until the last 10 years or so, there was a lot of confusing and contradictory information about which foods were truly healthy. Now we know that a plant based diet with only a little meat an minimal or no processed foods is the way to go.

Nowadays our work environments are a lot more sedentary, too.

The thing they've found about cultures where people live a long time is that people don't actually "try" to b healthy. It's just that their physical and cultural environments support healthy behaviors and habits. i.e. They don't have built environments that force people to drive everywhere for their errands. Their food culture is such that drinking soda or eating junk food is rare or non-existent, etc. These culture rely much less on health care and usually don't need nearly as much as we do in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waGHi6aMzh8&t=21s

Old 01-08-2017, 11:19 AM

676 posts, read 527,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
IMO it rather is on topic. Of course we need to treat our bodies well.

My relevant point in my post, above, is that our elders many of whom abused their bodies in so many ways STILL lived to a ripe old age, sure with aches and pains perhaps, but with nowhere near the consciousness we boomers have about health.

What are the real factors that had them living very long lives? Almost all my female friends died of cancer in their 60s! They were educated, smart, and all but one had good diets (organic, etc), social engagement, passions, and physical activity. Why would they die young, while those in my parent's gen tended to live 20 or 30 years beyond whether they wanted to or not?

The only factor I can think of is perhaps regularity in mealtimes - no fast foods (grease), even if it was a baloney sandwich with lettuce on white bread - and a regular routine to the day - going to sleep at a regular time. Much less stress then, such as traffic and too much to do.

This has puzzled me for a long time.
There are studies on the Mediterranean diet and the diet of the Okinawan people to indicate that it has to do with calorie restriction, mainly vegetarian, and clean eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement