Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:13 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
TuborgP,,,,,,,,,,I joined in 2009 and agree with your remarks on all the changes
You know as I noted in the Chat thread it isn't just the forum that has changed but we have changed and are probably sorta different in how we respond and react in here. Oh well time to take the garbage out as the wife has just yelled up it is ready. Oh yeah how and when I post is very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 05:17 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Although this is a retirement forum and I am not yet retired, I am thankful for the forum to plan for my retirement in a few years. I have gleaned a lot of good information from posters.

Thanks to all.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I recently posted on the Las Vegas thread specifically to ask about three different frequent posters who had dropped off the board altogether. It turns out two of them were kicked off the Forum by a moderator (TOTALLY unjustified, in my opinion). I really feel a loss as I enjoyed their contributions and learned from their experiences. The third person was an older woman. People suspect she died but we have no way to find out for sure. I certainly would have written to her family with my condolences if only I knew who they are. And I would write to the guys who were deep-sixed from the thread but I don't know their names either. It's one of the downsides of anonymous posting.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:15 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
I highly doubt that it has much of a role to other retirees as you think it does. I think of C-D as a big lonely hearts club of people who are lonely and like to write, but in real life have nobody to write to. Hence, they ask crazy questions about millions of topics with little true worth, just like this on started.
I use C-D to find out going rates of childcare or rentals etc and that's about as useful as I ever find it. With 10,000 boomers per day retiring you might have a whole new audience to write to soon.
Well, thanks for playing.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:22 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
I stumbled onto CD in 2012 when I was looking for answers to state unemployment insurance questions. Before that I was largely on bicycling and scooter riding forums and hosted my own blog. From those I actually made some ''real life'' connections to local scooter clubs and bicycle tours and rallies. In those ways I made friends and had experiences that I would never have had without the internet. It has really been fun and life-enhancing.
With the blogging and bike forums there were some losses where people went off the forum or ceased blogging and we later learned that they had died. These are settings where people use their real names and there is a way to find out what happened through internet research and networking. One cyclist was killed riding his bike while visiting his daughter out of state. Another scooter rider died in a freakish winter car accident. Another scooter rider died of a massive heart attack while traveling with his wife. When you know who the posters really are it does lend to more of a feeling of friendship so I do miss that aspect.
Anyway, I've jumped around on CD, enjoying the lively discussions and the exposure to ideas and people, but starting hanging here not too long ago as I realized that I was going to become a ''retiree'' myself soon. Now it is the forum that I check into daily and enjoy the most because I am dealing with these issues myself. It's just a nice community of people and I wish sometimes that I could meet some of you in person too.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:30 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
I highly doubt that it has much of a role to other retirees as you think it does. I think of C-D as a big lonely hearts club of people who are lonely and like to write, but in real life have nobody to write to. Hence, they ask crazy questions about millions of topics with little true worth, just like this on started.
I use C-D to find out going rates of childcare or rentals etc and that's about as useful as I ever find it. With 10,000 boomers per day retiring you might have a whole new audience to write to soon.
Many people here write just because they like to write. Some are lonely but most don't seem to be. As far as spending large amounts of time in the Internet, why is that any different from indulging in any other hobby. People spend hours hunting, painting, knitting, playing sports. They spend time on the things they like to do most. If it's writing on a message board, what's wrong with that?

Maybe the ".....crazy questions about millions topics with little true worth" are of little worth to you because you have not yet arrived at the age at which they have value. Maybe they will resonate with you too some day. Wait until you get there before you criticize them.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:56 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
I agree a bit. I enjoy writing, but my job does not require much writing besides emails. I do make documentation, but it's for a very small audience.

I'm not lonely, but don't have anyone to write to now that I'm no longer in college. This is a way to communicate with others and to keep skills sharp.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:05 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Many people here write just because they like to write. Some are lonely but most don't seem to be. As far as spending large amounts of time in the Internet, why is that any different from indulging in any other hobby. People spend hours hunting, painting, knitting, playing sports. They spend time on the things they like to do most. If it's writing on a message board, what's wrong with that?

Maybe the ".....crazy questions about millions topics with little true worth" are of little worth to you because you have not yet arrived at the age at which they have value. Maybe they will resonate with you too some day. Wait until you get there before you criticize them.
I use City-Data as a form of entertainment in the morning and evening. I have the TV on but often get so engrossed I have no idea whats going on on TV. I go on 6 forums on City-Data plus others.
To me its fun to post, especially if you have something your somewhat passionate about.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:28 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I use City-Data as a form of entertainment in the morning and evening. I have the TV on but often get so engrossed I have no idea whats going on on TV. I go on 6 forums on City-Data plus others.
To me its fun to post, especially if you have something your somewhat passionate about.
Me too. I kind of go in spurts from when I am interested in seeing the forums I like to staying away for a little bit.

I joined Face Book last year to keep in touch with the friends I left behind when I relocated from Portland to Cleveland. I never thought I would like FB but I've discovered a use for it so now I enjoy it. There isn't any other place I can see and "talk" to these people all at once. I do block things I am not interested in or do not like. I'm glad they have that feature.

That's why I like message boards. You pick a topic and you will know others who are there who will share your interest. On FB you get a lot stuff that's of interest to others but takes up your space. Also I can write much more here when the spirit moves.

Message boards serve a purpose. I haven't been on the retirement forum for eleven years but I think the same basic questions and concerns always come up and probably will no matter what.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:04 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
I've been a member of another board for decades. In that time a number of members became friends through email, in-person contact, and Facebook. The board has a sub-board called something along the lines of " Board Members We Lost". Anyone on that board who lost a board member friend will post about the death. Sometimes one of their relatives will sign on to tell us, but that is usually rare and is often done at the written behest of the deceased. It might be something to add to a will if anyone feels strongly enough about it.

Often times the board member just stops posting and the rest of us are left to wonder.

by your username and comment ..... DIS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement