Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:33 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,249,758 times

Advertisements

Anyone - can't remember what you did last week but all of sudden you can remember 40/50 years ago?

What if it makes you think too much?

Last edited by Bette; 01-04-2017 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 10:01 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
I've done that & just figured it was my now self healing my then self.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:26 PM

8,344 posts, read 6,436,914 times
My best friend age 76 can't remember a thing but he remembers his high school days like it was yesterday. He thinks it was yesterday.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:57 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,103,294 times
I think it means our brains are shorting out - or something.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:07 AM

676 posts, read 528,723 times
No such thing as thinking too much.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:43 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
The quickest thing to trigger these types of memories for me is a smell. I'll smell something, and get a sense of deja vu even if I can't exactly pinpoint where.

For some reason, I don't really remember a lot of my childhood. I remember little to nothing about elementary school. However, I can vividly remember watching the javelin event in the 1996 Olympics

Old 01-05-2017, 09:30 AM

888 posts, read 890,514 times
A middle-aged man-onset memory that first resurrected itself in my mind a few years back was when I was in first grade during recess at the tether-ball game area. A bigger kid bully-type was causing trouble that eventually found its way to me.

My next memory of this is being in the principal's office with my Dad and this bigger kid bully who was in tears while rubbing his very red fleshy arm that was sporting noticeable teeth bite impressions, and the principal telling me, while my Dad looked on, how terrible it was what I had done.

Then the memory fog returns with no further recollection of this event, but I do believe this bigger kid bully never bothered me again.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:53 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Smell and sounds trigger often trigger those kinds of memories for me. Other times, I have no idea what brought it on. Coincidentally, this morning I woke up and one such flashback zinged me: my young classmates and I sat enthralled as a horse galloped full-speed down the road. There were only a few horses in the entire town, but one of them usually was penned a short distance away from school. Maybe something I was dreaming of led to this memory?

Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Maybe we remember those things better because they've been stored in our memory banks for so much longer. The brain is selective about what it keeps on ready reserve so not every memory is going to be retrievable.

My husband and I have a little conceptual game we play with this when we can't remember something from the past. We say that younger people are wired for digital memory retrieval but we are still on the old Dewy Decimal System. So the little guy up there in our brains is getting older and all crippled up with arthritis and he has to go hobbling around looking through all the card catalogues trying to find the right card. It's just going to take him a while to get it done. And if the card has been damaged or spirited away by a disapproving librarian all bets are off.

Anyway, I really enjoy some of those old memories that pop in unannounced. Shoots me right back into the ever more flexible time slip. Just as amusing as an old movie.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:50 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,891,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

My husband and I have a little conceptual game we play with this when we can't remember something from the past. We say that younger people are wired for digital memory retrieval but we are still on the old Dewy Decimal System. So the little guy up there in our brains is getting older and all crippled up with arthritis and he has to go hobbling around looking through all the card catalogues trying to find the right card. It's just going to take him a while to get it done. And if the card has been damaged or spirited away by a disapproving librarian all bets are off.
I LOVE this!! Props!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement