Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 02:59 PM

787 posts, read 636,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Young Gen-Xers and Millennials are starting decent paying careers much later in life, making much less than their parents, and are unable to save any money at all due to high cost of living and debt, and flattening investment gains.

Their retirement will arrive and they will have likely zero or negative net worth. On top of that, social security will likely be somewhat insolvent and unable to pay even the meager benefits it now provides. And medicare will hardly be in better shape.

The only way I see this crisis being handled is by the economy taking several enormous body blows, a plummeting housing market, along with plummeting cost of services, e.g. massive deflationary pressures, product/food shortages, etc.

Rich baby boomers make the political decisions in this country and the insane wealth of the baby boomer generation (and even their pension-fattened parents) is distorting the discussion here of what it means to be a retiree - even a modest retired couple of a mailman and a teacher are retiring filthy rich compared to how the young generations will.

Are there any think tanks studying what it will mean for a generation to retire with virtually no money, in a country that will likely not have today's safety net?
Because the last generation that was taught to mind/care for their elders seems to be mine (80s baby).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 04:31 PM

11,538 posts, read 12,560,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I would suggest joining some sort of church or religious organization. But even in Buddhist teaching, everybody, regardless of wealth will die alone. Even Steve Jobs. Maybe this thread belongs to the philosophy forum.
That's not what I meant. I meant people dying in their houses by themselves because they don't have anyone to check on them or to find out if they are o.k. if there was no contact over a week. Not chronically ill people or "older senior" citizens where that person would normally make some sort of arrangement because the odds were getting higher for that possibility to become reality. I guess I am the only person on this forum with personal experience with this type of situation. It almost happened once again, to my late 50s BIL, but he had family who contacted his building doorman after not hearing from him for a few days. Although reasonably healthy and not on any medication, the doorman found him on the floor after he had suffered a stroke. Others in my life have not fared so lucky, although BIL did not recover and passed away 3 months ago. But I am going off on a tangent because BIL is not the type of person that I am talking about.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:39 PM

105,681 posts, read 107,645,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I would suggest joining some sort of church or religious organization. But even in Buddhist teaching, everybody, regardless of wealth will die alone. Even Steve Jobs. Maybe this thread belongs to the philosophy forum.
80% of married men die married . 80% of married women die alone .

Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Because the last generation that was taught to mind/care for their elders seems to be mine (80s baby).
which split up more families then you can count .

as soon as one sibling stepped up to the plate and took a financial , social and career hit , all the other sibling's tend to step back . i wish i had a dollar for every family not talking because of trying to care for a disabled parent . not to mention injured by trying to move them .

if spouses are involved the fighting is even worse as the spouse who's parents it isn't wants to know why she is taking this hit while your brothers and sisters do nothing .that has caused plenty of divorces as well

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-19-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 05:02 PM

31,588 posts, read 26,430,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
80% of married men die married . 80% of married women die alone .

We all come into this world and leave it the same way, "alone".

If you are referring to being surrounded by or having a spouse, friends, family or whatever near when the process occurs, that is another matter. But even then that would depend upon how death occurs and when.

Much of the "comfort" people speak of regarding the death of a loved one is really for themselves; it helps with the grieving process I suppose.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
We all come into this world and leave it the same way, "alone".

If you are referring to being surrounded by or having a spouse, friends, family or whatever near when the process occurs, that is another matter. But even then that would depend upon how death occurs and when.

Much of the "comfort" people speak of regarding the death of a loved one is really for themselves; it helps with the grieving process I suppose.
referring more to the economic situation women face vs men .

Old 01-19-2017, 05:47 PM

2,242 posts, read 2,984,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartgirl709 View Post
They can't get behind it because the states are the greediest country on the planet. They be like "I got mine, if you can't get yours just die on the streets" lol. Health care is a right, not a matter of can you afford it like the states picture it to be.
Somehow, I think you would be more at home discussing this on a Yahoo! board or something. You're heading rapidly toward quicksand here.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:52 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,652,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That's not what I meant. I meant people dying in their houses by themselves because they don't have anyone to check on them or to find out if they are o.k. if there was no contact over a week. Not chronically ill people or "older senior" citizens where that person would normally make some sort of arrangement because the odds were getting higher for that possibility to become reality. I guess I am the only person on this forum with personal experience with this type of situation. It almost happened once again, to my late 50s BIL, but he had family who contacted his building doorman after not hearing from him for a few days. Although reasonably healthy and not on any medication, the doorman found him on the floor after he had suffered a stroke. Others in my life have not fared so lucky, although BIL did not recover and passed away 3 months ago. But I am going off on a tangent because BIL is not the type of person that I am talking about.
My sister had a boy friend who died of a heart attack for 3 days before he was discovered. He had dogs and they were barking. I guess the neighbors must have notified the apartment owner. But so what, when you're dead, your dead. He has family but they didn't live with him. Even if you live with other family members you can be dead unexpectedly also. My daughter's dentist had a mother who was living with her but they went out shopping and she died of a heart attack in the two hours they were gone. I even heard a recent story of someone we know that he died of a heart attack even with doctors in the house. His son and daughter in law were both doctors. Stroke is a common cause.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:52 PM

2,242 posts, read 2,984,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Its kind of in the Preamble

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Can be interpreted in several ways. To me it means we keep striving to have all the people of this country a decent life - including healthcare. You can't lead a horse to water, but if it wants to get there, you shouldn't put obscene obstacles in the way.
If it was that simple constitutionally, we would have had free healthcare a long time ago.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:01 PM

4,138 posts, read 3,864,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Somehow, I think you would be more at home discussing this on a Yahoo! board or something. You're heading rapidly toward quicksand here.
Are Yahoo boards more compassionate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement