Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 02:40 AM

105 posts, read 121,319 times

Advertisements

Many of the posters on this board think of their Social Security check as an after thought. Many of you have huge 401k balances, pensions and annuities. You have the assets to wait until you are 70 to collect Social Security but retire at fifty and use your vast savings and pensions to pay the bills.

Though, I hope you understand that people like this are a minority in America. MOST Americans can't afford to retire until they get a Social Security check. And Social Security covers more than 50% of their retirement expenses.

That is me. My Social Security check covers about half of my retirement expenses.

My so called career was a nightmare. I was fired often, laid off often and usually ended up in the worst companies. My various bosses yelled at me, told me I was no good and liked to play games with my self confidence. I suffered through long periods of unemployment and tough financial times. I jumped from job to job, career field to career field. I was miserable.

When the first Social Security check came in I had a huge emotional reaction. FREEDOM!

(I still work part time (in a semi retirement role), but it is an easy job with none of the pressures of management or a professional role. I actually like it. But I don't need it and it is only part time. For the first time in my life I am in freedom!)

Last edited by Curious Investor; 01-08-2017 at 03:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 04:24 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
people adjust to whatever they have to live on . some may hate the lifestyle it allows them while others are okay with it.

as long as you have enough to live on and can cover the "awe crap's " in life without stressing out over every unexpected expense than you did great .

Old 01-08-2017, 05:25 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post

My Social Security check covers about half of my retirement expenses.

My so called career was a nightmare. I was fired often, laid off often and usually ended up in the worst companies. My various bosses yelled at me, told me I was no good and liked to play games with my self confidence. I suffered through long periods of unemployment and tough financial times. I jumped from job to job, career field to career field. I was miserable.

(I still work part time (in a semi retirement role), but it is an easy job with none of the pressures of management or a professional role. I actually like it. But I don't need it and it is only part time. For the first time in my life I am in freedom!)
Considering your difficult work history of long periods of unemployment and tough financial times, just curious since you mention you don't need the income of your current part time work, how are you funding the remaining 1/2 of your expenses not covered by your social security check ?

Last edited by volosong; 01-08-2017 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: fixed opening quote hypertag

Old 01-08-2017, 05:47 AM

676 posts, read 528,535 times
I retired at 55 and my husband still works at 60. He has his own business and wants to keep working even after age 65. But, I've done the math and we could easily live on our 'social security' income. Of course that is dependent on being debt free, which we will be in five years.

The plan is to live here during the summer months and then sail south for the winter. Talk about feeling free!

Old 01-08-2017, 05:58 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Many of the posters on this board think of their Social Security check as an after thought. Many of you have huge 401k balances, pensions and annuities. You have the assets to wait until you are 70 to collect Social Security but retire at fifty and use your vast savings and pensions to pay the bills.

Though, I hope you understand that people like this are a minority in America. MOST Americans can't afford to retire until they get a Social Security check. And Social Security covers more than 50% of their retirement expenses.

That is me. My Social Security check covers about half of my retirement expenses.

When the first Social Security check came in I had a huge emotional reaction. FREEDOM!

Congratulations for making it to retirement. As you've discovered, SS provides a base income to reduce poverty among seniors. That is what FDR intended.

I'm now 67 and retired. When I was young, I wondered why we needed SS. I thought that people ought to just save enough for their retirement.

But now with the wisdom attained from life long experiences, I understand how difficult life really is for most people.

I know many people who experienced job loss, illness, and/or divorce. As a result, they had no alternative but to spend their savings down. The alternative was a park bench.

Many of them. I suspect, feel like you. SS was their backup.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:12 AM

105 posts, read 121,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Considering your difficult work history of long periods of unemployment and tough financial times, just curious since you mention you don't need the income of your current part time work, how are you funding the remaining 1/2 of your expenses not covered by your social security check ?
Relatives died- and left me some money, and savings and investments from my later years when I did better at work.

(Actually I am investing my Social Security money now because I came into some money recently but the year after I collected I was smiling every day when that money came into my bank account. I got emotional when that money became available.)

Old 01-08-2017, 08:44 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Curious

Even if you must work some to supplement your SS the work will be much more enjoyable knowing you can always walk away from it when you want to as you have the SS to fall back on. It is not like no job, no life.

Enjoy the freedom and lack of pressure.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:34 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
So you're sorta Retired Now?

Old 01-08-2017, 10:09 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Congrats, it must be a good feeling. I know when my husband turned 62, we had a big birthday celebration because then he could actually give his boss his real finger. But he stayed working and retired 2 years later. But it's good to know he didn't have to.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 01-08-2017 at 10:57 AM..

Old 01-08-2017, 10:39 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
My emotions were actually more emphatic on the day I turned 65.

Qualifying for Medicare made me realize that I could finally retire whenever I wanted to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement