Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retired- under 65? Do you get Obamacare Subsidies?
Yes and I am proud of it 28 31.46%
No, I am paying for the insurance without help 30 33.71%
My ex employer pays for my health insurance 21 23.60%
What is Obamacare? 10 11.24%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:49 AM

105 posts, read 121,268 times

Advertisements

At the Senior Center we have lots of interesting conversations about health and money. The big topic now is the end of Obama Care and the subsidies many of us get from Uncle Sam to pay for our Health Insurance. (The younger group under age 65)

Many of us are scared to death that under the Republican health care repeal and replace plan, middle income folks will get caught flat footed and have to cover their entire health insurance premium.

Right now we have a sweet deal that allows us to have a million dollar or more in assets and still get a subsidy because our actual income is low. Many of us only pull money out of a ROTH IRA or bank accounts to pay for expenses above and beyond Social Security. Roth or pulling money out of the bank is not counted as income. So my wife and I only pay a small amount ($200) for our monthly health insurance premium. (The rest is paid by the tax payers.)

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 10:35 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
But you're not scared to death, right? Because with a million in assets you could likely afford to pay more than $200 a month.

I'm assuming pension and 401k counts "against" you but Roth and cash then are okay?

Old 01-17-2017, 11:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
Right now we have a sweet deal that allows us to have a million dollar or more in assets and still get a subsidy because our actual income is low. Many of us only pull money out of a ROTH IRA or bank accounts to pay for expenses above and beyond Social Security. Roth or pulling money out of the bank is not counted as income. So my wife and I only pay a small amount ($200) for our monthly health insurance premium. (The rest is paid by the tax payers.)

How about you?
'Retired' via loosely packed Parachute age 49 with 32 yrs service, No HC, No Pension

my "Sweet Deal" will be to relocate out of USA to get access to HC. (very ill spouse)

HC premium was...$300 / month for 5 different choices BEFORE A?(C)A all affordable options were removed with A?(C)A.

After A?(C)A premium went to $1600, now would be $2200/ month, so we are uninsured (in USA) as are many of our peers.

but HC is very cheap compared to my Property taxes ($44/ day. up from $<$3 day), same property, no improvements, just getting more worn out by the day.

I'm ripe for a change. Last yr was almost entirely away from USA and w/o healthcare. it was great while it lasted. We were lucky.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:37 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
We signed up for it 2 years ago (age 59 then) and apparently our assets didn't matter. Just our income is what they based the premiums on, and we had low income so yes, are subsidized. I just got my statement from the ACA and the total the provider was billed was $128,800 . ACA "settled" for $28,000.

Stunning! A hip replacement and 2 ER visits. I won't say how low our premium is for fear of ticking off the anti-ACA's sect. But I paid into Cobra for many years and never used it back then. We are all worried about Obamacare going away, but are signing up for the National Health care plan here in our new country. $80 per couple per month, everything included.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:41 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i didn't tax plan well enough to get it .

Old 01-17-2017, 12:22 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
another story

Old 01-17-2017, 07:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
I've seen you post this a few times. Please explain what you mean and what you would have done differently.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i didn't tax plan well enough to get it .

Old 01-18-2017, 02:26 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times
the power of roths is not really known during our working careers . we think in terms of being in a higher tax bracket now and a lower one later so we want that deduction when working for the traditional .

once you get to retire you realize it isn't about tax brackets as much as all the things linked to taxable income .

you pay medicare premiums based on taxable income , you get a subsidy on aca plans if you need insurance pre 65 . use of zero capital gain brackets , getting your social security taxed . insane taxes on rmd's , etc all could be avoided with roths instead .

now it is to late , the bits of conversions i can do without triggering higher taxes anyway is very limited and does little .

Old 01-18-2017, 04:19 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
This is a 'loop hole' that bothers me a bit.
Younger retired people that could easily pay for their insurance but since only income is counted, they are subsidized.
I know of several couples that retired in their late 50's and have much more in savings that I could ever have amassed but have low enough income and pay less a month for the two of them than I do for Medicare plus supplements( and high deductible ones, at that) for only one of me.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:26 AM

253 posts, read 234,760 times
The OP needs to add a choice to the poll that the employer pays part and the retiree pays part for those of us that pay a substantial amount to a employer subsidized plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement