Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:04 PM

236 posts, read 159,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I completely agree with you. That is why we sat and talked to a FP. Then took what we learned and came up with our plan. It is also why I started that thread. DW and I are in unique positions. But our path can show others a path as well.
You and your wife are textbook examples of a couple that should own LTC insurance because you have high incomes and modest assets. I find it hard to believe that a financial planner with a fiduciary responsibility would not recommend LTCi for you and your wife. (But anybody today can call themselves an FP, that doesn't mean they are fiduciaries.... many earn their living from commissions and fees.)

It seems like you're saying that your monthly income is much greater than your current living expenses. Are you banking $2,000 per month now, $3,000 per month, $4,000?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 06:08 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
most planners suck in the 2nd half of the game . they are so far behind on retirement planning strategy .

the worst in the 2nd half ,the decumulation /retirement stage i found are fee only planners .

they tend to be fee only because they lack the certification ,knowledge and training in more modern products and strategy's as well as comprehensive planning or they would not be fee only .

Old 06-07-2017, 06:35 PM

6,595 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCShop View Post
You and your wife are textbook examples of a couple that should own LTC insurance because you have high incomes and modest assets. I find it hard to believe that a financial planner with a fiduciary responsibility would not recommend LTCi for you and your wife. (But anybody today can call themselves an FP, that doesn't mean they are fiduciaries.... many earn their living from commissions and fees.)

It seems like you're saying that your monthly income is much greater than your current living expenses. Are you banking $2,000 per month now, $3,000 per month, $4,000?????
Modest assets? Hmmmm I have over a million in assets and in retirement pensions alone (not counting SS which we are planning on postponing to FRA her and 70 (maybe) me and while doing that postponing live off the 5k+ in monthly pension income while also taking 24k from retirement savings annually to do trips on. My wife is working until October this year and will max out her 401k to a full 24k. We have also opened a brokerage account to the tune of another 30k in the last three months.

You are right we are text book with high income modest assets. And if I was thinking I want to leave a legacy to my I could make that. But I do not think I will live long enough to spend all my retirement savings. There will be plenty for the wife to spend. Her income will drop if I pre-decease her but not nearly to poverty levels that you might think. The pensions are annuity with COLA provisions. They may not go up fast but honestly we will be just fine with the plan we have. Both of us are healthy now. If I turn sick in my 80s like my dad we will still have resources to take care of me and her. I do appreciate your concern. Even my financial planner showed far less concern when we talked with him about the plan. He wishes he had the same resources and the ability to do what we plan.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:24 AM

404 posts, read 381,086 times
Regarding state partnership programs, are they transferable if you move to a different state?

Also, anecdotally, my in-laws both had LTCI. Mother-in-law developed myasthenia gravis and was quite sick for a few years but some reason, was never able to actually use the LTCI because of the rules they had in place for use.

Father-in-Law had a stroke 6 or 7 years ago and has been able to use LTCi effectively, but when all is said and done, he may just break even with the benefits vs premiums paid.

Not sure how common these scenarios are but it gives us pause as to whether LTCI is worth it especially with the sharp increase in costs.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:44 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
states have agreements with other states but you have to check .

as an example my plan in ny has total asset protection . outside of ny it down grades to a dollar for a dollar .

as an example if medicaid spends 500k then 500k in assets is protected

Old 06-08-2017, 11:05 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSparky View Post
It's my feeling also that state partnership plans which provide protection of assets for the non-LTC spouse are the main benefit of long term care insurance.

With health care inflation running at such high rates it becomes difficult to afford a large enough daily benefit. Long term care insurance policies are only available to cover a fixed number of years and after that time runs out you are back to spending down your resources until you qualify for Medicaid.

At least with a partnership plan the non-LTC spouse will have some assets protected (and the benefits paid by the insurance will help to preserve some assets to protect).

That said the insurance is quite expensive and I am still shopping around for ours. I am also interested in a non-forfiture policy to keep some benefits in the event that rising premiums and fixed post-retirement income would make premiums unaffordable.
When you find yours, will you tell us? Honestly, just thinking this stuff through makes my eyes glaze over. And I am a battle-hardened engineer, veteran of epic battles with incomprehensible spreadsheets, lol!

Old 06-27-2017, 07:58 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Average cost of adult day care, home health care, assisted living, and nursing home care by state

The Rising Cost Of Senior Care In America [INFOGRAPHIC]

Old 07-03-2017, 12:56 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Did I read somewhere congress wants to cut Medicaid?

Old 07-03-2017, 01:01 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Average cost of adult day care, home health care, assisted living, and nursing home care by state

The Rising Cost Of Senior Care In America [INFOGRAPHIC]
This I suspect is misleading. NC and other states may have a lower average and probably have more for crap quality facilities.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:31 AM

708 posts, read 721,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Did I read somewhere congress wants to cut Medicaid?
Yes conservative Republicans are pushing it but more moderate Republicans are pushing back. Democrats are totally against it. I doubt it if there will be much of cut but perhaps more testing of who gets it.
Washington politicians are so inept that I doubt if they will get anything done, I don't care what
side of the fence they are on.. I lost all faith in their ability to govern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement