Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:52 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times

Advertisements

One Item, If you get a match, Make sure you don't Hit the Max before you retire. In most plans once you hit the Max, your Contribution stops, and the company/organization match stops. So you need to calculate it do on the last paycheck of earned income, everything get matched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
One Item, If you get a match, Make sure you don't Hit the Max (401k contribution) before you retire. In most plans once you hit the Max, your Contribution stops, and the company/organization match stops. So you need to calculate it do on the last paycheck of earned income, everything get matched.
Our's and most companies contribute up to a % of employee income (Usually 4%-6%, of annual salary)

so... if you are dumping in 4%, they match 5%(of base salary), if you are dumping in 50%, they still only match 5% (UP TO of annual base salary). Some plans may only match 5% based on equal contributions. Rules vary to make employer happy. Most recent change was when my previous company will match ONLY on Jan 15 of yr FOLLOWING your contributions, if you happen to still be employed...

Do check on the plan, as I would tend to delay contributions till :
1) markets are cheap
2) final $24k of income, then do 100% contribution

Ymmv

Old 01-19-2017, 08:49 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I also used Section 179 (accelerated depreciation) for future 'Business expenses' during Severance payout year. Be sure to follow the rules... essentially I bought assets I could use, but were not apt to depreciate on resale value. I sold and recaptured the depreciation in a LOW income yr (You will have plenty of those years in the future)

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p946/ch02.html
https://www.taxact.com/support/22427...s-depreciation
It sounds too complicated. I just meant they didn't take out 401k contribution on his last paycheck for vacation pay. My corporation didn't take out any 401k for my 26 weeks severance pay either.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:19 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It sounds too complicated. I just meant they didn't take out 401k contribution on his last paycheck for vacation pay. My corporation didn't take out any 401k for my 26 weeks severance pay either.
Not sure if you meant my comment. I retired January 1 and had made my contributions for the previous year and since my final pay and unused vacation days payout occurred after my January 1 retirement I was able to make that years contribution in one lump sum. It was set up with payroll and the benefits office.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not sure if you meant my comment. I retired January 1 and had made my contributions for the previous year and since my final pay and unused vacation days payout occurred after my January 1 retirement I was able to make that years contribution in one lump sum. It was set up with payroll and the benefits office.
I need to check my husband's last paycheck. I recall he couldn't contribute from his vacation pay out.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I need to check my husband's last paycheck. I recall he couldn't contribute from his vacation pay out.
You (as employee) cannot choose to designate your non-wage income to 401K / tax deferred, however, your company can choose to designate 'retirement incentive' to a qualified acct (tho unlikely they will). Ours did it ONCE in about 1993, but they abandoned that practice.

My section 179's were only to offset 'year-end' IRS obligations, as per the post I responded too.

'Conventional' retirees (never intend to have a business / earned income in future) are likely not interested. I was not interested in giving 40% of my severance to IRS (24 months pay + 18 weeks earned vacation)

I am not considered to be very 'conventional'

Old 01-20-2017, 06:56 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
Quote:
My corporation didn't take out any 401k for my 26 weeks severance pay either.
I leave my company March first, and it will max out my 401K from my severance.
I asked payroll or benefits (I forget which) if they could do it, and they said yes, just let them know by about 4 weeks ahead of time.
All I had to do was ask.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:40 PM

558 posts, read 434,439 times
So what about a Roth IRA? If I retire in June, can I keep contributing from June - December (this isn't out of your paycheck). Or do I need to contribute the whole $6500 while I am still working? I figure it's ok since you can retroactively contribute, but I'm not sure.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:57 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
I believe that for the year you just had to have earned income (of more than your contributed amount). Doesn't matter that you only worked X number of months.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
So what about a Roth IRA? If I retire in June, can I keep contributing from June - December (this isn't out of your paycheck). Or do I need to contribute the whole $6500 while I am still working? I figure it's ok since you can retroactively contribute, but I'm not sure.
You can contribute to your ROTH up THROUGH tax filing deadline of any yr you had earned income.

I.e.... You work through June 2017, you can contribute to IRA through 15 April 2018. (I suggest you don't wait till last minute... tho many do)

In the future... if you have a PT job or any earned income, you can still contribute to your IRA (Roth or Traditional)

I have been retired 10 yrs and use both every yr, depending on my tax situation.

You can also roll and re-characterize within rules. (even multiple times per yr!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement