Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 04:20 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I ask this question, because I am 55 y/o and now I have discounts at many places, that advertise "discount for elderly people", such as McDonalds, Long John Silvers, etc. And just today, I found some apartments for rent, for "elderly" people and the minimum age is 55 y/o.
Kind of weird. I always thought 65 y/o and older is elderly.
You are middle age, between 45 and 65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 04:49 PM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
Been away so missed lots of good topics. I'll chime in here and answer your question.

Depends on who you ask. Ask a 16-year old and the answer will more likely be yes you're an elderly person.

By the way, I define middle-aged as between 45 and 70 years.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:52 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
"I have lived some 30 years on this planet, and have yet to hear the first syllable of valuable or even earnest advice from my seniors."

The above famous quotation is quoting a man who, if he were alive today, would be 199.

Nobody should ever have the slightest negative thought about anyone older than them. It will only seem like the blink of an eye till they themselves pass that age.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:05 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
No way. You can join AARP at 55 because many people can retire by then, but I don't think anyone in this day and age considers 55 elderly.
I'm never going to be old enough to join AARP. They kept sending me plastic cards in the mail, to try to convince me to join. That implied they thought I was senile. Anyone who could be convinced by a plastic card is senile or worse. You can't simply tear the card up and throw it out. You have to cut it up. If you leave it whole, someone who finds it at the dump might find a way to use it for ID theft or something. And it implied they spent part of the membership dues on trash like plastic cards, which implied they wasted your money. That was years ago. They sent me so many of those plastic cards, I swore I was never going to join, no matter what. What they send now is less obnoxious, but it's too late. They're already off my list forever.

Besides that, I'm not very old. I was born old, but, as the years passed, I gradually got younger.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:43 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I think AARP started this myth (for very commercial reasons). The day I turned 50 I got a card in the mail from them telling me I was now eligible for senior's discounts and I could join their wonderful organization. I have believed NOTHING since about being 'old' (and I am now 67). And I still won't join AARP.

I remember getting that. I felt quite insulted, as I was pretty spunky at 50!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:33 PM

661 posts, read 880,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I remember getting that. I felt quite insulted, as I was pretty spunky at 50!
They keep sending cards in the mail for me and my wife...!

Old 01-22-2017, 11:45 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
No, it's the height of middle age. Heck even 65 years Olds are late middle age, not elderly. 70 and above would qualify.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:46 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Been away so missed lots of good topics. I'll chime in here and answer your question.

Depends on who you ask. Ask a 16-year old and the answer will more likely be yes you're an elderly person.

By the way, I define middle-aged as between 45 and 70 years.
I agree with your definition of middle age.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:09 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
IMO, depends on your health.

My father is 59 and is active - enjoys going to the gym, hiking, working around the house, etc. He really hasn't changed much over the past ten years. He still seems middle aged.

My mother is the same age and has had assorted health challenges for many years. She is extremely obese, retains fluid in her legs, has trouble getting around, blood disorder, high blood pressure/cholesterol/diabetes, anemic, and can barely work/calls in sick a lot. She broke both feet without even falling completely down a decade ago and her mobility has been limited ever since. She seemed elderly a decade ago.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:14 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
At 57 I don't "feel" elderly. Unfortunately my mirror has a different point of view
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement