Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:12 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,399 times

Advertisements

I recently dropped my cable, and I'm glad I did it. I didn't realize that the cable company was changing the appearance of shows and muting the sound. With cable on my new HD TV, half of the picture was cut off, especially the newscast programs, and I had to turn my volume up above 70 for many shows.

I tried the Showtime offered through my Roku, and dropped the channel almost immediately. I tried three times to watch a movie at different times throughout the day. I found the time of day didn't matter as it was "retrieving" every other minute no matter when I tried watching it. I find Hulu annoying because of with the ads so I'll drop that when my free term expires.

I love the NewsOn channel that gives me local news. I'm enjoying Amazon which streams extremely well for me. I'm currently trying a free Netflix month, and it also streams well, but will probably not keep the channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 12:19 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Thank God for Netflix! I'm still undecided about how many of their original shows I like, as a Boomer. I do miss their TV series reruns that aren't on streaming. I am so glad they are available out of the U.S. The Spanish subtitles are very helpful to learning Spanish, too.

We get content not available in U.S. I told my sisters to watch Michael Moore's "Where to Invade Next" and they could not get it on Netflix.

I, too, am pleased the content is not all geared toward the coveted 18-34 demographic. I binge-watched "Downton Abbey" while husband was asleep and I had insomnia. Hated it when "House" was finally over.

The best part----NO commercials! Boy does that spoil 'ya!

Old 01-25-2017, 12:25 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I got Direct TV Now a few weeks back. About 70 channels for $35/month, no box rental fees or anything, and it came with a free Apple TV.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:27 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I recently dropped my cable, and I'm glad I did it. I didn't realize that the cable company was changing the appearance of shows and muting the sound. With cable on my new HD TV, half of the picture was cut off, especially the newscast programs, and I had to turn my volume up above 70 for many shows.

I tried the Showtime offered through my Roku, and dropped the channel almost immediately. I tried three times to watch a movie at different times throughout the day. I found the time of day didn't matter as it was "retrieving" every other minute no matter when I tried watching it. I find Hulu annoying because of with the ads so I'll drop that when my free term expires.

I love the NewsOn channel that gives me local news. I'm enjoying Amazon which streams extremely well for me. I'm currently trying a free Netflix month, and it also streams well, but will probably not keep the channel.
Retrieving on/off alot is a indication that you Internet Does not have enough speed to deliver the content in the quality its being send. NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon all "watch" the speed that you can receive and upgrade/downgrade the picture quality to match your internet speed.

Hulu offers for ~8$ more a month a Ad Free stream.

Some Cable(Internet providers) compaines have been know to throttle/restrict bandwidth to streamer, but the FCC has fined them in the past for doing it.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:57 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
I wish Netflix and Amazon wouldn't release a whole season at once. I can't help myself and binge. I just burned through "The Man in the High Castle" season two in less than two days! Now another year to wait. It is amazing how much good stuff is available "on demand". Some people are calling it the golden age of television. I think I am on the young side here but remember as a child getting tv through the air with a big antenna stuck to the side of the house (or tin foil on the rabbit ears to enhance reception on the portable tv) and those channels went off the air by 1am. It was either the Tonight Show or Mannix or Barnaby Jones reruns. I am spoiled now days and I like it! Go Netflix and Amazon!
When the channels went off the air, there was some interesting static on. In a recent movie called "The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivit", the dog would watch the static. When T.S. Spivit would talk to the dog, it would turn its head to pay attention for a few seconds, then, because the talking wasn't that interesting, would turn back to the static.

Now might be the golden age of television, but back then was the silver age of television. Because, the static was a silvery color.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:54 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Hulu offers for ~8$ more a month a Ad Free stream.
I've been paying $11.99 total for the ad-free stream, but I'm canceling it, because the content has been reduced a lot, and I no longer find it worth the bother.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:00 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Some Cable(Internet providers) compaines have been know to throttle/restrict bandwidth to streamer, but the FCC has fined them in the past for doing it.
But now that the Republicans are in power, the cable companies will be free to do any throttling they want to do, because the Republicans don't want the government to interfere in private enterprise, which they consider the cable companies to be.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:04 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,660 times
Does anyone just have and HD antenna for your HD TV and just get what is available? I had a converter box four years ago, before getting satellite, and got about 15 channels including a movie station.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:28 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
I had a Antenna in Atlanta before I moved got about 60 Channels, Number varied by time of day, and when I did the scan.

Outside Boston now, have about 40 or so Channels.

(Was closer to Atlanta Transmitter then I amd to the Boston Transmitters).

Old 01-25-2017, 06:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
I wish Netflix and Amazon wouldn't release a whole season at once. I can't help myself and binge. I just burned through "The Man in the High Castle" season two in less than two days! Now another year to wait. It is amazing how much good stuff is available "on demand". Some people are calling it the golden age of television. I think I am on the young side here but remember as a child getting tv through the air with a big antenna stuck to the side of the house (or tin foil on the rabbit ears to enhance reception on the portable tv) and those channels went off the air by 1am. It was either the Tonight Show or Mannix or Barnaby Jones reruns. I am spoiled now days and I like it! Go Netflix and Amazon!
When we do a series, we pace ourselves. We might watch one or two in an evening.

I don't have the desire to binge watch, because you lose something when you get it all in a big gulp. I'd rather do it over a week or so.

If you do binge, you could always go back and watch it again, maybe pacing yourself over a week or so. You might see things you did not see before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement