Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:34 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times

Advertisements

So I am viewing TV shows and streaming stuff on Netflix with Mrs5150. Amazon, etc. and finding it to be interesting. And much of it aimed at folk like me as well as my kids.

I am saying this, because when I was in my 30s I figured by the time I was 60 media would would not care about me or my demographic.

Quite pleased. I was wrong. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Maybe your mindset/outlook, etc., is younger than you expected?

Old 01-22-2017, 09:58 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
If you're watching Amazon or Netflix original shows, keep in mind there are no commercials. Therefore, there are no sponsors to kowtow to. They no longer need to make shows that appeal only to Millennials or whatever other segment of the population the sponsors want to sell stuff to.

Are you a binge watcher? I like to watch each episode on a different day. Binge watching is just too fast for me, doesn't give me time to think about the show between episodes.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:36 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If you're watching Amazon or Netflix original shows, keep in mind there are no commercials. Therefore, there are no sponsors to kowtow to. They no longer need to make shows that appeal only to Millennials or whatever other segment of the population the sponsors want to sell stuff to.

Are you a binge watcher? I like to watch each episode on a different day. Binge watching is just too fast for me, doesn't give me time to think about the show between episodes.
Binge watching is not for me. We do one or maybe two episodes. Then reading or other activities. Bed if after 10:00. Just very pleased that there is interesting stuff on TV these days. Love Netflix and other streaming sites. Gads, I sound like my parents....

But it's OK. Time to pop in my earbuds and listen to stuff on Pandora.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:14 PM

344 posts, read 416,878 times
I wish Netflix and Amazon wouldn't release a whole season at once. I can't help myself and binge. I just burned through "The Man in the High Castle" season two in less than two days! Now another year to wait. It is amazing how much good stuff is available "on demand". Some people are calling it the golden age of television. I think I am on the young side here but remember as a child getting tv through the air with a big antenna stuck to the side of the house (or tin foil on the rabbit ears to enhance reception on the portable tv) and those channels went off the air by 1am. It was either the Tonight Show or Mannix or Barnaby Jones reruns. I am spoiled now days and I like it! Go Netflix and Amazon!

Old 01-23-2017, 12:36 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So I am viewing TV shows and streaming stuff on Netflix with Mrs5150. Amazon, etc. and finding it to be interesting. And much of it aimed at folk like me as well as my kids.

I am saying this, because when I was in my 30s I figured by the time I was 60 media would would not care about me or my demographic.

Quite pleased. I was wrong. Thoughts?
Well, there are more seniors these days because of the baby boomers. We're a more formidable crowd.

Also, as another poster said....no tv sponsors who aim at demographics to please.

I love streaming my shows. I've really enjoyed it. It's much better than the cable I've had. I have a Roku, so also get a lot of free stations on that. Although a person can only watch so much.

PlutoTV is a sort of version of free tv. It doesn't work great, but it's still early in design. These things are advancing quickly. Anyway, Pluto can be good for an old movie now and then, repeats of MSNBC and NBC and Bloomberg and other news stations. It's free, with ads.

I also watch TubiTV. Very good shows (free, but with ads).

Netflix has signed Jerry Seinfeld to do his "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" series.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:46 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,846 times
I cut my cable last year, and now only use streaming services. I have Netflix, and for foreign TV series, I use Mhz. For a while I had Acorn TV for British shows but they do not add new content to their line up quickly enough. I have not been lucky to find much that I like on Amazon or Hulu. Hopefully, the BBC iplayer will be available in the US soon so that will be something I will add.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 PM

368 posts, read 366,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I cut my cable last year, and now only use streaming services. I have Netflix, and for foreign TV series, I use Mhz. For a while I had Acorn TV for British shows but they do not add new content to their line up quickly enough. I have not been lucky to find much that I like on Amazon or Hulu. Hopefully, the BBC iplayer will be available in the US soon so that will be something I will add.
Is Mhz a Roku channel? Never heard of it, and I have my Roku loaded. Also sign onto a Roku private channel called ChannelPear. 24 hr Seinfeld,movies. Lots of stuff.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:14 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
We don't binge watch. We have about 6 or 7 shows/series we watch and I just keep a list, check mark when we watch one, so we don't get confused.

It can get a bit confusing when watching from Amazon, NetFlix and Hulu...

The technology has come a long way.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:17 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
Is Mhz a Roku channel? Never heard of it, and I have my Roku loaded.

MHz Networks is a global media company which specializes in presenting international television programming to American audiences. Their website: MHz Networks: Programming for a Globally Minded Audience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement