Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 09:02 PM

345 posts, read 250,162 times

Advertisements

I'm too lazy to read all the previous posts.

Did anyone mention cohousing so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 12:59 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
When I had to find someone to drive me to, and stay with me, during a colonoscopy the hospital said they would not allow a taxi, only a particular care provider they often worked with. The cost was $25 per hour, and driving and the procedure took about 4 hrs. So it is not cheap, even for what we might consider a very non-specialized service.
This is where it literally pays to consider skipping the anesthesia so you don't need a ride! In many situations you may need to think outside the box if you don't have a helper readily available.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:32 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retirednicely View Post
Many expats have chosen to move to Mexico for their retirement years. It is not for everyone. Mostly for the adventurous and those who do not watch Constantly Negative News. I am not a DINK but a SINK. I was out having dinner with a few friends the other night celebrating a birthday. I happened to sit beside another single income, no kids, person and we are both retired in Mexico. We agreed that we both love our life here. We can afford maids and gardeners and we get to do the things we have always wanted to do but never had the time, money, nor freedom to do. My "SINK" friend was telling me that her gardener has now become her chauffeur as she can no longer drive. He not only does her gardening but drives her anywhere she needs to go and does so with her car. He will inherit her car when she dies. He has been working for her for 14 years now. He and his whole family are part of her family. As for her maid, who also has been working many years for her had a few difficult years way back, was renting, and was moving around a lot with two kids. My friend became very concerned about her well being, etc. Linda decided to take care of the family situation, she found a very cheap house she could afford to buy in a Mexican neighborhood and let her maid and her children live in it. The maid will inherit the house when she dies. It is very common here for the loyal help to become part of the family. Very often, they end up taking care of us. My maid who cleans, cooks, washes and irons my clothes is part of my family. She is very loyal, loving, kind and always looks out for me. I have heard multiple like stories. Moving to Mexico is an affordable option. But it is certainly not an option for everyone.

Individual and assisted living homes are thriving in this community. Expats are even getting into the business. A year and a half ago, one of the Assisted Living facility, Abbeyfield, was featured on a PBS special. Doctors and nurses are readily available. Home visits by doctors and nurses are still the norm. It is worth investigating.
We must be neighbors!

We lived in Ajijic 2008-2012. Had to sell our home and return to US to care for my FIL. He died in late 2015. We just bought another home in Ajijic....this time with our ages (64 and 65) in mind. Single story, separate casita and inground pool. One block from the lake, 10 minute walk to Plaza.

If and when we need help, the casita is there for live-in caregivers. We will stay in OUR home, not a NURSING home.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:10 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
Both of my parents spent their last years with Alzheimer's living in assisted living homes. I visited regularly (twice a week, usually), but the vast majority of the old folks in these facilities were never visited by anyone. I asked the nurses about this and they said most patients had many kids, grandkids, etc. They were alone and were not visited. It broke my heart. Many told me the only person they ever spoke to aside from the nurses was me, because I visited often.

So anyone who depends upon (or expects) their kids to assist them in their declining years may be in for a very rude awakening.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:10 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We must be neighbors!

We lived in Ajijic 2008-2012. Had to sell our home and return to US to care for my FIL. He died in late 2015. We just bought another home in Ajijic....this time with our ages (64 and 65) in mind. Single story, separate casita and inground pool. One block from the lake, 10 minute walk to Plaza.

If and when we need help, the casita is there for live-in caregivers. We will stay in OUR home, not a NURSING home.
I love this idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement