Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 04:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times

Advertisements

Next week I turn 61. If you had asked me four years ago when I would retire, I would have replied age 68. My wife will retire in two years when she reaches the minimum age necessary to receive the maximum employer/benefit plan contribution toward post-retirement health care.

My current employer uses Great West Financial as their 401(k) manger, and while playing with the web site's Retirement Planning tool last night (after correcting my future Social Security receipts using data from the Social Security Administration which includes all my previous employment history), I discovered that our monthly income, if I retire at age 65, will be in excess of what we receive now while both working! And I forgot to include my wife's anticipated Social Security receipts in this total.

This retirement income is the benefit of decades of saving, investing, and planning toward retirement. I still remember those times about 30 years ago when I would go for an entire week with only a single $1 bill in my wallet. House payments, car payments, things for the kids, etc. Times were not always rosy but it was important to my wife and I that our kids be raised with an at-home parent until into grade school.

Obviously it is time for a more in-depth discussion with our Financial Planner. Do I retire in two years with my wife? Do I retire in four years at age 65 (his previous recommendation)? Is there any logic in waiting until age 66 and 4 months (FRA)? When should we start collecting Social Security benefits?

I am just now starting to look forward to retirement. Maybe my previous lack of enthusiasm for retirement was caused by uncertainty regarding our finances, or maybe I am finally getting burned out by pressures of work.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 06-08-2017 at 05:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 04:33 AM

6,595 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Retire early and often.

Now for something serious. You could probably do either. You probably have enough resources to retire now if your employer allows you to remain on their health insurance. You could pick up COBRA ask mathjack on that. Health insurance needs are usually what keeps people working. But if you like your job and it isn't too taxing and you have no other plans then you can continue to work.

But I am sure you will get some interesting comments based upon your bubbly thread.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:04 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
I retired at 62 1/2 and it's the best thing I could've done. If you can afford it, get out of the rat race as soon as you can.
Unless you really like working there are much better things you can do with your time because it's is the one thing you can't buy.

I didn't hate my career but towards the end of it I didn't love it either. I've been retired for 6 months now and have loved every minute of it.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times
Default Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Retire early and often.
I actually already have retired once; 4-1/2 years ago. I took the cash value of my pension from that employer as a lump sum (back when the interest rate used for calculating its Net Present Value was less than 1%!), had our Financial Planner manage those funds for us, and immediately started an identical job making close to what I was being paid with 30+ years of seniority at my previous employer.

Theoretically I could retire from this employer and then become a part-time "Hired Gun" with a Contract House, working only when I get bored or really want another challenge.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:17 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,325,371 times
I used to think that people ought to keep working as long as they can. But I changed my mind.

Having experienced a few friends either becoming seriously ill or just dropping dead in their early 60s did that. I can visualize those arrows whizzing by!

Now I advise people to retire as soon as possible. Unfortunately, for most people, that age is 63.5 That gives you 18 months of Cobra coverage to bridge to medicare at 65.

Retiring earlier than that without nailing down health insurance cost is too risky.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:46 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
Stop working asap if you can swing it.
Delay filing for ss at least till fra.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:50 AM

106,694 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i wouldn't give any advice about delaying without knowing their financial picture . not everyone has that choice to stop working and delay if they don't have the resources to lay out safely .

Old 06-08-2017, 07:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I disagree with the others, but that's just for me, and may not apply to others. I will be 65 in a few weeks, but I love my job, it's challenging, with great pay, more than I have ever made before, and nice benefits. I have a window office with views of Elliot Bay, Mt. Rainier, the Olympic mountains and part of the Seattle skyline. While we could manage on the pensions and SS, both will increase with each year we continue working, so we will be that much better off when we do decide to retire. With about 6 weeks/year PTO now, and my wife working at a school, we have plenty of time for nice summer vacations. For people that hate their job, I can see retiring as soon as financially feasible. Here, people tend to stay longer. The two most recent retirees here were age 70 and 72.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:34 AM

44 posts, read 40,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I used to think that people ought to keep working as long as they can. But I changed my mind.

Having experienced a few friends either becoming seriously ill or just dropping dead in their early 60s did that. I can visualize those arrows whizzing by!

Now I advise people to retire as soon as possible. Unfortunately, for most people, that age is 63.5 That gives you 18 months of Cobra coverage to bridge to medicare at 65.

Retiring earlier than that without nailing down health insurance cost is too risky.

Please excuse he ignorant question here.

If one decided to roll the dice and retire at 62 and not continue medical coverage either through Cobra or the Open market, once they turn 65 and are eligible for Medicare, is there a penalty for the lapse in coverage?

Old 06-08-2017, 08:47 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,325,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancer13 View Post
Please excuse he ignorant question here.

If one decided to roll the dice and retire at 62 and not continue medical coverage either through Cobra or the Open market, once they turn 65 and are eligible for Medicare, is there a penalty for the lapse in coverage?
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement