Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:30 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Find a job, they are out there. I've retired twice, once at 62 and again at 64. Hated it both times and now work 40 per week and love it. Health is better, mind is sharper, and the money is nice too. I originally wanted only a day or two a week, but it grew to 5 days because I work hard at it. You can find one too, if you sell yourself.

Retirement isn't all it is cracked up to be.........I know too many people who retired and died a little while later.
So true. So many in my family didn't survive the boredom of retirement for long. I quickly adopted the idea that I would never, wholly, retire.

My grandparents maintained a garden and sold excess at the curb. My grandfather made venison sausage from what his nephews hunted. My grandmother made canned & pickled foods. My uncle, a woodworker, made & fixed things for relatives and neighbours and sold things on consignment at a local thrift store. Those, in my family, that retired and just "watched tv" didn't live as long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 09:57 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
There are many posters and threads on the retirement forum lamenting the same thing: "I'm bored and don't know what to do with myself. Give me some ideas." Ironically, these posts/threads reflect the answer their own question. They say, "I need to be entertained and to have someone else tell me what to do." My suspicion is that many of these folks worked for years in jobs where they simply performed the same routine over and over...or depended on someone else to define their daily work. Instead of working to accomplish goals or projects, they only worked for a paycheck.

In retirement, the individual is the "boss." They are responsible for setting goals and objectives - and then figuring-out how to accomplish them. For those without 'boss experience', a good place to start is a self-assessment of the things, activities, tasks and endeavors in which one has found a sense of satisfaction (These can be small components of larger projects and efforts). Then, by grouping these 'pieces' together, one can start searching for activities that include these things. (Most large library Reference sections (as well as high schools and colleges) also offer Occupational Aptitude Testing to help one find occupations where workers have similar interests).

It's a big world and there is a niche for anyone who is willing to take a little responsibility for finding satisfaction and contentment in their own life.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:00 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
^^^ Outstanding post.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:09 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There are many posters and threads on the retirement forum lamenting the same thing: "I'm bored and don't know what to do with myself. Give me some ideas." Ironically, these posts/threads reflect the answer their own question. They say, "I need to be entertained and to have someone else tell me what to do." My suspicion is that many of these folks worked for years in jobs where they simply performed the same routine over and over...or depended on someone else to define their daily work. Instead of working to accomplish goals or projects, they only worked for a paycheck.

In retirement, the individual is the "boss." They are responsible for setting goals and objectives - and then figuring-out how to accomplish them. For those without 'boss experience', a good place to start is a self-assessment of the things, activities, tasks and endeavors in which one has found a sense of satisfaction (These can be small components of larger projects and efforts). Then, by grouping these 'pieces' together, one can start searching for activities that include these things. (Most large library Reference sections (as well as high schools and colleges) also offer Occupational Aptitude Testing to help one find occupations where workers have similar interests).

It's a big world and there is a niche for anyone who is willing to take a little responsibility for finding satisfaction and contentment in their own life.
I think most of the people here have been in positions where they were the "boss".

What they are looking for and what we have been told all our lives is that entertainment/happiness should be spontaneous.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:34 AM

983 posts, read 1,055,173 times
So - the point is when you retire that you should have a purpose for your days? It might be volunteering or learning a new language or working at a paid job - but not just wake up each day with no plans for your time?

Old 02-04-2017, 11:41 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
So - the point is when you retire that you should have a purpose for your days? It might be volunteering or learning a new language or working at a paid job - but not just wake up each day with no plans for your time?

My feeling is that if you have no "purpose", no goals, no passions, no enthusiasm, then you are just killing time until you die.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:04 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
How does someone retire and have nothing to do? What did you do all your working life, besides work. You must have had weekends off. Surely theres activities you did and enjoyed? Now you can even spend more time doing them.

Find things you like to do, and then do them.
That. I can't even imagine having a couple of hours free every single day.
I swear the older I get, the busier I am. Very much looking forward to retirement!

Old 02-04-2017, 01:31 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,121 times
Are the posters claiming to be bored and not have anything to do live in rural areas?

Old 02-04-2017, 01:39 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
I retired a couple years ago and still don't know how I got all the things done that I do when I was still working.

The only thing I'm doing more of now is goose hunting. When I was working I only got out Saturdays, school holidays and a personal day I'd take at the end of the season. Now I can go 3 or 4 days a week.

One change I finally did after I quit was realize that I didn't have to do so much on weekends, I now could do things during the week.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
First of all, start thinking of yourself as an individual. You being retired has nothing to do with your wife still working.

Think of yourself as being a separate viable individual with interests of your own. Don't think of needing your wife to entertain you or to keep you busy.

Cultivate a bunch of interests. It's pretty crucial to have interests in retirement or one starts to languish.

Your post focuses on how you are having trouble not being in contact with other people during the day, which having a job had provided - yes, having a job automatically gives daily human interaction - and adjusting to the new reality of not having this automatic human interaction can be one of the biggest hurdles in retirement - maybe try going to where people are actively doing things and congregating - coffee shops, parks, sports games etc. - along with developing a set of interests.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-04-2017 at 04:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement