Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 02:21 PM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Yes that is a consideration my wife and I are considering. We have options but generally our expat will be more world travel rather than living in some place. Most of the Central and South American countries have an easy path to residency.

you missed one that has gained popularity over the last few years and that is Ecuador.

OP this is where we are considering being expat. Look at the climate in places like Cuenca or Loja. They range between low 60 to low 80. Ecuador has two summers a year as well. the reason for such a moderate climate is elevation. Both of those cities are about a mile up from sea level. When you go lower to say Guayaquil or Salinas they are on the coast. The temperature will be warmer but there are the cooler ocean breezes that help out. Strictly COL you can easily retire there on SS. In fact that is all you need show for income to get residency.

As for DW and myself we will live a year or two in Korea. My wife can get an F1 visa as she was born there. I would have to either find a job, invest in a company ($100K is required), or leave and return every 90 days. We have family there and some of those have successful businesses so the investment in a company is a doable thing for us. Our reason for expat in Korea for long term is Asian travel. It may turn out we like that better or we try other locations after the Asian travel is done. Hence that is part of the reason for Ecuador. They have a very relaxed lifestyle there. Relatively calm and happy people. They offer discounts for seniors (65 and older) even on airfare on the leg out of Ecuador. Oh and we are going to visit there exploratory in October or at least that is the time frame I have been looking at. The wife saw that it is more rainy there in that month which by the way is the second summer of the year. I will post my findings when I return from there.
I only mentioned places that I had personally been to and liked and I've never been to Ecuador. When I lived in Peru I talked with several people that had lived in both Ecuador and Peru and universally they preferred Peru. I have seen that Cuenca has been a popular spot for Americans to retire/live in but it seems a bit cool and cloudy/rainy for my preference.

The good thing about low COL countries like Peru and Thailand is that you can buy services cheaply but you will give up some infrastructure and other conveniences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 02:38 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I considered Cuenca, Ecuador at one time but then they starting having some civil unrest and I thought better of living there. The only place I would ever consider outside of the USA would be Australia or maybe Ireland. But I'm pretty sure I won't be leaving my country.

OP - are you just looking for a lower cost of living?

We are considering Ecuador and will visit there in November this year. One of the things I would point out to you is that civil unrest was resolved peacefully by the president.

Civil unrest in Ecuador ahead of Pope Francis visit | World | DW.COM | 05.07.2015

This has a pretty good write up on it.

One thing I would point out though is the President who was being protested against during that time actually walked in to the crowd of protestors unarmed and unafraid. Then he negotiated a resolution. He might have some communist leanings but he is a very popular president. For example watch the linked youtube video and see how the regular people treat him as he walks unannounced in the markets on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn7dMzG-T2w&t=56s

I don't know if it is for us but as far as I can tell it looks promising. I will not sink all my money there but move there on trial periods. If it works great if not well I got a lesson in a new culture. We will have lived and not feared.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:47 PM

99 posts, read 188,775 times
Thank you all so much for the great input. You have asked why we want to move and we've been considering it because we're very unhappy with the current situation in this country, but would also like to experience a new culture. You have given us a lot of food for thought and information we hadn't realized such as having to deal with medical insurance issues. We definitely have a lot to think about. Thanks so much again.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We retired in 2003 at ages 50/51. Moved and lived fulltime in Mexico 2008-2012; my only regret is that we did not move there as soon as we retired. Unfortunately we had to sell our Mexican home and move back to the East Coast US to care for my FIL. Sadly he died in late 2015; for most of 2016 my DH had to work on his Dad's estate and trust.

We decided to move back to Mexico....in fact we just purchased a home there and will move in April.

It's fairly easy to qualify for permanent visas or temporary visas; but if you can't you can make a run to the border every 6 months and get a new tourist visa.

Link to photos of our little village (Ajijic) which sits on the shores of Lake Chapala (Mexico's largest lake) just below the Sierra Madres...great mountain AND water views! Bonus: only 30 minutes from Guadalajara Airport. And.....National Geographic has rated the Lake Chapala area as the 2nd best climate on planet earth. And just so you know it's not just tacos and bean restaurants (not that there's anything wrong with that), because Ajijic attracts the professional class from GDL, we have a wide range of eateries. I just got back 2 weeks ago and with the peso, we are getting excellent steak dinners for the equivalent of 7 USD.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...0DCcgQ_AUIBigB

Restaurants here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...05-Ajijic.html
This is where I moved. I couldn't get a phone number for months, and then only because a local asked someone he knew at the phone company to give me one and voila! the elusive phone number appears.

There are a lot of home invasions, and many expats I met personally had been mugged in Ajijic.

I had a friend I met there, who bought a house, only to find out there were relatives who claimed ownership of it, and it cost them a fortune in attorney fees to get things straightened out. There is no dependable title search/insurance there.

My Mexican attorney in the downtown area, once told me she had to move her car. I said, oh where is it? She said it was in front of the police station. I said, wouldn't it be safe there? She said it was the police she was worried about.

Another friend I made there had a small grocery store, and they were trying to move to the states, because the bribes the local police asked for on a regular basis, were bankrupting them.

I could go on.

And by the way, is there any water in the lake yet? It was pretty empty when I left.

And the English-speaking community is very, very small. So, it's like moving to a town of maybe 200 people? Lots of gossip and drama.

The internet is very expensive and terrible. Other utilities are expensive and the service is pretty terrible. And everywhere you shop - everyone does not speak English, like all the websites say that promote Ajijic. Try going to the little hardware store, even with normal passable Spanish, and try to describe (because everything is behind the counter) a 5/8" flathead phillips screw....for example LOL.

And all of the stores, including Walmart, have signs in Spanish, workers who only speak Spanish, and all of the product labels are in Spanish. You better be fluent.

You can't joke around with Mexicans like you can Americans, without fear of severely insulting them. And I grew up with Mexican-Americans. It's different in Mexico.

And Mexico is LOUD! Constant noise at level 10. The town shuts down for 2 weeks every time there's a festival and there's a festival about every month. This is all really fun when you're on vacation, but a pain in the rear when you live there.

I'm glad you like it, but I don't think you should glamorize it for unsuspecting people.

I think the ideal thing to do, is find a decent home base in the states, and travel.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Something else to consider, is that a lot of countries have professional kidnappers. They kidnap their own wealthy citizens, and target expats.

Third world countries are no joke. You just don't have an uncorrupt safety net there.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:19 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Something else to consider, is that a lot of countries have professional kidnappers. They kidnap their own wealthy citizens, and target expats.

Third world countries are no joke. You just don't have an uncorrupt safety net there.
Never heard of an expat getting kidnapped. The policy REALLY is, Hands off the Expats.

The lake is beautiful now....waves lapping at the malecon (board walk).

Ajijic is appealing to many. You don't like Third World Countries at all, per your posts. Have to wonder if you've ever been???

And as the OP mentioned in her last post, we too were strongly motivated to return to Ajijic because of the current US political climate.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:46 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
You do realize that Medicare does not pay overseas. You will need to get your own health insurance abroad.

I think it takes a lot of fortitude to live abroad permanently. Much flexibility. Cutting ties is not as problematic given the internet. I do not think most Americans understand how much quality of life has disappeared from our nation. So many agendas by so many groups and entities. Certainly privacy has disappeared. Just going grocery shopping is a hectic excursion. Seems we are closer to the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" stage only there is nothing to be done about things.

I have found in my seventh decade that it is far more difficult to make changes. Even small ones.

Oh, my choice years ago when dreaming of living outside the country was Prince Edward Island, New Zealand and Isle of Mann.

Best of luck on your plans.
I would never live outside the US but it might be worth noting Medicare Plans F and G have a $50,000 benefit for emergency medical if overseas. They plan pays 80% of the overseas bill.

Maximum $50,000 benefit is lifetime but an added kicker is you must return to the USA every 90 days or the plan doesn't pay.

Good option to have if someone is on a cruise or decided to go hiking in Peru. At a very minimum it should get you home.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:25 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbBr View Post
My husband and I have been checking different areas to see where we might be able to retire outside the US but it seems they have such high income restrictions (and/or other restrictions) that we won't qualify since we won't be working. We were looking into Canada and the UK. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Do Americans know that to utter a sentence "I want to retire to USA", for a person from any country, equals utter nonsense? That you have to be young and smart and preferably in science-technology, to even consider entering and living in USA? Or they do know? But somehow think that other countries cannot have a similar policy? Regularly, we get perplexed American posters on the Canadian forum, who are gob-smacked to realize that they cannot just up and move to Canada....

Old 02-04-2017, 05:02 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Aren't there volcano's in Ecuador ? Close volcano's ? https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/ecuador.html

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/peru.html

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...life/21642834/

Old 02-04-2017, 05:44 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
yup there are volcanos in Ecuador. I do believe that there are volcanos in the US as well. I seem to remember a mountain top in Washington State exploded. I also do not remember seeing the entire states of Washington and Oregon leaving because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement