Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 05:11 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,871,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Just nosing around this forum and this thread caught my eye. Have you looked into Antigua Guatemala? Retiring to a third world country is not my preference but I have been to Antigua and I could definitely see it being a nice place to retire.
I agree it is beautiful...we spent a few months there. Many of the expats are Brits, though they are usually 2 home families, heading back to the UK in summer. Summer humidity and high rainfall in GTA is too much for us. Not sure about health care issues, didn't use any on our trip.

Again, for us, being able to fly easily back to US from Guadalajara airport, local medical colleges/care, 2nd best weather on the planet at Lake Chapala (per National Geographic)....keeps Ajijic on top of our list after investigating many other places.

Last edited by dothetwist; 02-08-2017 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 06:08 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,505,644 times
Antigua also big on the Spanish immersion route, lots of students there.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:34 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,736,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Antigua also big on the Spanish immersion route, lots of students there.
Yes, Antigua is a nice city. Oaxaca, in Mexico, is very similar - colonial, popular, language schools. Plus very good food.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:33 PM

260 posts, read 233,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Another option is to try to see if you can get a job in a first world country. If you move for work, its easier to apply for permanent residency and, eventually, citizenship, even in so-called first world countries.
That's how I got here; first a green card and now citizenship. I don't have a moment of regret. We have a good thing here in the USA

Old 02-08-2017, 10:08 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,736,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgirl49 View Post
That's how I got here; first a green card and now citizenship. I don't have a moment of regret. We have a good thing here in the USA
Very cool. Glad you are happy here!

Old 02-11-2017, 04:24 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,505,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgirl49 View Post
We could use more like you to shore up the ranks of good people.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:50 PM

813 posts, read 1,129,419 times
A good point was made in the "Thermostat Wars" thread. Many parts of the world do not require heating or cooling, which is a big savings on utilities.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:32 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,224,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
A good point was made in the "Thermostat Wars" thread. Many parts of the world do not require heating or cooling, which is a big savings on utilities.
Great point. I spent over a year in Arequipa and there is no need for AC or heat there....heat involves closing the windows and cooling requires opening them. Miraflores seems very mild when I was there multiple times so I'm guessing very low heating or cooling required.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:58 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,847,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Great point. I spent over a year in Arequipa and there is no need for AC or heat there....heat involves closing the windows and cooling requires opening them. Miraflores seems very mild when I was there multiple times so I'm guessing very low heating or cooling required.
Even in Los Angeles that is true for fairly large parts of the year. Cooling consists of opening the windows at night and closing them during the day, and heating consists of opening the windows during the day and closing them at night.

However, I certainly wouldn't want to be without my central heat and central air conditioning even though each may run only a total of 20 or 30 days a year. We do have outdoor lows in the 30's a few nights a year, and outdoor highs over 100 a few days a year too.

In this area double pane glass is not very common because it's just not cost effective. A neighbor just changed out his windows and sliding glass door for double pane; I am curious how much that cost him, but I'm not going to ask because he is a nut case and rather hostile.

During the 16 years I've lived in this townhouse, my highest monthly electricity bill was $42.08. It ususally runs about $20.00. Natural gas runs between $10 and $20. I would probably have to live here another 50 years or more to make double-pane glass pay off.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:42 AM

30,864 posts, read 36,789,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
I moved here 13 years ago, when it was extremely affordable. Bought a oceanfront penthouse for about 100k, now worth about 400k. While I rarely go to the beach, I enjoy the breezes and looking out over the cliffs.
https://www.google.com.pe/search?q=m...S4AXMQ_AUIBigB
The problem with coastal Peru is it's cloudy all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement