Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 03:01 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times

Advertisements

I have traveled internationally, and have lived for extended periods (up to a year) in other countries, but I can't even imagine leaving the U.S., my native land, permanently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 03:10 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
I have traveled internationally, and have lived for extended periods (up to a year) in other countries, but I can't even imagine leaving the U.S., my native land, permanently.
And that's awesome for you, but many people CAN imagine living elsewhere. And those brave enough, do.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:29 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Not to change the direction of this thread - but I was born and bred in the U.S. and emigrated permanently in January 2000 at age 61. Two reasons: 1. After much thought and investigation about where in the U.S. to retire I ultimately was unenthused about my choices, so I considered outside the U.S., picked a place and am still here; 2. I felt that the U.S. had changed politically and socially in a direction and to a degree that I was not comfortable with and that this trend would accelerate until the country would be quasi-fascist with the government largely under the influence - if not control - of large corporations by around 2020.

For me it was one of the best decisions of my life. However, as I say in every discussion about this topic, I do not feel most Americans would like living outside the U.S. Americans do not adjust well, and tend to be big complainers.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:04 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
But why do you think not likely? Is there a rationale they don't cover or is it just something that has not yet been discussed/deliberated by lawmakers? Medical costs are lower in other countries because their insurance industry does not cover much and those that do, are very, very expensive on premiums and only the rich people have them. So doctors/hospital charges are payable mostly by cash by the local people. By that, one can argue the US government should be happier to pay less claims compared to what US hospitals bill them (indirectly through insurance industry). ...
I live abroad and have wondered about this. One thought I have is that if the U.S. govt. wanted to investigate a particular claim it would be more time consuming I expect. Does seems as if the U.S. might do a trial of this in a country like Ireland - a country with the same language, and see how it works.

I live in what you might call a second tier European country, and the national insurance covers most procedures for nationaional - private insurance would vary depending upon your policy. I have private insurance and I consider my premium to be high, but then I don't know what one would pay in the U.S. for a comparable policy so my impression may be all wet. Local people pay the uncovered portion of their fees by debit or credit card, check and least of all in cash. Medical costs are at least 1/4 less across the board and often a third or half as much as in the U.S. I recently paid 725 euros for an MRI in a private hospital, and a cousin in the U.S. paid over 1,200 dollars for the same MRI in the U.S.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
some of us have no choice to be able stay in USA...(health care costs)
48 yrs as a USA SS and IRS tax payer > $10k / yr for many yrs, down the tube

40 yrs service, company pulled medical (and pension)
A(?)CA premium is over $2000 / month
Under age 65, so not eligible for Medicare

so...we have to find another home, USA is NOT gonna ever improve the HC costs. Once the GOV gets it's fingers in the till... it is ALL OVER.

25 yrs ago an Asian country (self insured) that we were living, offered 'perks' to nationals who would go to a less expensive foreign location for medical procedures. Much of 'national HC' Western Europe has been a large part of the 14M_patients / yr Medivacation / medical tourism industry for many decades.

USA is 'small potatoes...' (so far) but countries are 'Ramping up' to serve a vastly increasing customer base.
We estimate some 1,400,000 Americans will travel outside the US for medical care this year (2016).
http://www.patientsbeyondborders.com...atistics-facts

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-20-2017 at 04:34 AM..

Old 02-20-2017, 04:54 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
48 yrs as a USA SS and IRS tax payer > $10k / yr for many yrs, down the tube
You lost me here, why is your SS and tax money down the tube?

You can get social security while living overseas, and you're still a US citizen who has enjoyed the benefits of that enviable status for over 50 years and can continue to do so as an expatriate and someone who moves back at age 65 with medicare qualified.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:42 AM

776 posts, read 955,145 times
Just to point out that.......

Canada does not have a "retirees immigration program ".

We do have a " US citizens may visit for a short period of time " program. It is exactly the same as the " Canadian citizens may visit the US, for a short period of time " program.

Americans can own property in Canada, and many do. BUT that doesn't get you permanent resident status here. Many Canadians also own property in the US, but that doesn't get them permanent residence status , either.

In both cases, the rule is .........up to 183 days IN country, in any 12 month period of time...then at least 183 days OUT of the country.

I hope that makes things a bit more clear, about how things work in Canada, re US retirees.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:44 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post

We do have a " US citizens may visit for a short period of time " program. It is exactly the same as the " Canadian citizens may visit the US, for a short period of time " program.

Americans can own property in Canada, and many do. BUT that doesn't get you permanent resident status here. Many Canadians also own property in the US, but that doesn't get them permanent residence status , either.

In both cases, the rule is .........up to 183 days IN country, in any 12 month period of time...then at least 183 days OUT of the country.

I hope that makes things a bit more clear, about how things work in Canada, re US retirees.
But if your a black from Somalia you can come right in lol.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:48 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
If you have significant health issues and are on your last leg needing expensive complex pills or procedures then your pretty much screwed. Start getting your affairs in order to die because none of us live forever.

I would never choose where to live based on having some mayo clinic near by that's going to drain my lifes assets so I can get a few more years of sub par marginal quality of life. Might as well go where you want and do what you want and when you die you die.

It might be prudent to make sure said nation has decent regular care like if you have a heart attack or break your leg, but advanced cancer treatments or complex drugs, I don't know, I guess it depends how old you are and if the treatments are temporary (ie cure vs treatment till death).

Old 02-20-2017, 07:07 PM

813 posts, read 1,132,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post

More and more countries are moving this way. The same is now true here in Peru, although there is a special retirement visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement