Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

My goal in my youth was to become a beachcomber in Tahiti. The reality at 70 is that I never got to Tahiti and I've never combed a beach. The best laid plans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 01:07 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
But why do you think not likely? Is there a rationale they don't cover or is it just something that has not yet been discussed/deliberated by lawmakers? Medical costs are lower in other countries because their insurance industry does not cover much and those that do, are very, very expensive on premiums and only the rich people have them. So doctors/hospital charges are payable mostly by cash by the local people. By that, one can argue the US government should be happier to pay less claims compared to what US hospitals bill them (indirectly through insurance industry)

More money to spread around. This will be good for Medicare. Otherwise, it may go bankrupt.

Well, far be it from me to get in any lawmaker's head, but the current trend seems to be down-sizing Medicare, not expanding it. The red tape involved in overseas claims would be a nightmare, much as I wish we could get it here.

The insurance companies here typically cover most things, as does the national plan. I just don't think the average care (on the national plan) is as high quality. So yes, I'm a little worried about that but not making my life choices based on that, like someone else pointed out. The national plan we are getting is $80 per month per couple. We can afford that. The reason for lower medical costs is that other countries aren't running FOR PROFIT medical institutions, like the U.S. does. And that won't be changing anytime soon.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:40 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My goal in my youth was to become a beachcomber in Tahiti. The reality at 70 is that I never got to Tahiti and I've never combed a beach. The best laid plans...
No biggie, I hear that when you reach your seventies you have to do a beachcombover!

Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
No biggie, I hear that when you reach your seventies you have to do a beachcombover!

LOL! Do they do comb-overs in Peru? I don't see any across the border here.

Beach-combing is great fun. Totally different shells here and lots of broken pottery from indigenous cultures from 100's of years ago. I have to find other hobbies so that every day isn't "Saturday" (much as I do like that) but so far, that and reading are about it....

Old 02-22-2017, 11:10 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I recently paid 725 euros for an MRI in a private hospital, and a cousin in the U.S. paid over 1,200 dollars for the same MRI in the U.S.
725 Euros equals 765 US Dollars...

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...-mri-cost.htm:
Quote:
Just like all medical procedures, the price range to have the procedure performed varies widely, but on average, it will cost you between $400 and $3,500.
My medical program pays for all of my MRI's...

The cost of items varies greatly throughout the world.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:06 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL! Do they do comb-overs in Peru? I don't see any across the border here.

Beach-combing is great fun. Totally different shells here and lots of broken pottery from indigenous cultures from 100's of years ago. I have to find other hobbies so that every day isn't "Saturday" (much as I do like that) but so far, that and reading are about it....
No, Peruvians in general have too much hair which is normally closely cropped. As far as beach combing, the beach in front of my condo is all rock, never see a shell!

Old 02-22-2017, 01:19 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Medical costs are at least 1/4 less across the board and often a third or half as much as in the U.S. I recently paid 725 euros for an MRI in a private hospital, and a cousin in the U.S. paid over 1,200 dollars for the same MRI in the U.S.
"Cost" is a slippery thing in the US. There is a cost the provider would like to charge you, and then there is the actual cost that the insurance company bargains it down to, some of which you pay, some of which the insurance company pays. And if you don't have insurance you can still bargain with some providers.

So which of these did your cousin pay? The last MRI I had, they tried to bill me for about $800 but it got bargained down to less than $500 and of that I paid $75.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:26 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
The reason for lower medical costs is that other countries aren't running FOR PROFIT medical institutions, like the U.S. does. And that won't be changing anytime soon.
There are tons of things going on that lower costs in other countries. Malpractice insurance is an enormous expense in the US and I suspect nobody else is as litigious as the US. Medical billing requirements in the US generate a lot of overhead. Oversight and regulations make things more expensive particularly with drugs. Labor is cheaper in developing nations. It all adds up.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:38 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
The reason for lower medical costs is that other countries aren't running FOR PROFIT medical institutions, like the U.S. does. And that won't be changing anytime soon.
Not necessarily.

My wife recently needed to go see a dentist in a developing country because she was worried she cracked a tooth. Cost for examination by a dentist was about $11, and it was a for-profit clinic run by an Aussie dentist that caters to the expat community and health tourists.

There are plenty of private for-profit clinics in Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand that specialize in elective (or non-emergency) surgical procedures for the round eyed devils waving cash.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:08 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
725 Euros equals 765 US Dollars...

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...-mri-cost.htm:

My medical program pays for all of my MRI's...

The cost of items varies greatly throughout the world.
I wonder how much an MRI machine costs as MRI's are outragiously expensive if you dont have good coverage.

http://web.stanford.edu/dept/news/ne...1/mri-321.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement