Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 03:16 AM

106,562 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

our lifting routine varies. we use mostly machines with a free weight day once a week . we break the week up in to body parts . we do a stomach machine and 100 crunches every weight day as standard routine . each workout is 8 exercises , 15 reps ,3 sets . the last set should lock your muscle's up . very important to contract the muscle each time that you are targeting .

so a typical week looks like Monday chest and back , Tuesday run -wed arms and shoulders -Thursday-run -Friday legs , Saturday free weight day , sunday off . Monday run -repeat the above , so each week the days work out different

using free weights vs machines are important because the free weights require all kinds of small muscles to stabilize the weights . the machines do not . so we have barbell and dumbbell routines we use .

friday is a double duty day for me as every friday after the gym i spend 2 hours in the drum studio playing .

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-11-2017 at 04:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 03:22 AM

diet plays a part too . exercise makes me hungrier so if i don't watch my eating i never get full , just tired throwing things in my mouth . i can easily consume 4-5,000 calories the days i run and still be looking for things to eat . that can be most UN-GOOD !

my wife is far better than i am , she has incredible will power . she can take a bite of the most amazing deserts and be happy . not me , diabetic or not i will eat hers too .

a funny story was before i was diagnosed as being diabetic my wife and i got these amazing eclairs from a local bakery .

so we are walking down the street and both of us are stuffing them in our mouths and we run in to a group of women from our gym .

they are like omg , i can't believe you work out so hard and eat like that .

i said , you have it wrong , we work out at the gym so we CAN eat like his . ha ha ha

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-11-2017 at 03:50 AM..

Old 02-13-2017, 07:02 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
At 63 - I take no meds - hallelujah! - and hope that my exercise regimen (3-4 days a week for 35 minutes of cardio - and add weights on the weekend plus another day and then there's the dog walking in between ) will help me not dive into the deep end of the family gene pool (diabetes, hypertension and stroke).

But I am seriously worried about people I see at the gym who are my age or older - seriously overdoing their workout.

We did have an individual collapse on the treadmill at the county gym. The AED revived him until the paramedics arrived.

There's another gentleman who whenever he's working out on the elliptical - like a madman with spit coming out of his mouth as he breathes....... everyone avoids the machines next to him for fear of getting slimed - or he's going to fall dead in their path....

YES- JUST MOVE - but PLEASE have a trainer teach you how to lift and move so you won't seriously hurt yourself.

I paid a couple hundred bucks to learn how to effectively lift without killing myself. It was money well spent.

I still have to lose 35 pounds..... but my physiology? Is top notch.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:38 PM

888 posts, read 889,652 times
I'm busy with work the next couple of months so my workouts are done at work. They generally consist of a quick 20 minute workout that I do three times a week in a spare office where I have a 20 kg and a 24kg kettlebell, a pair of 5-lb. dumbbells and a wooden pole that I use for stretching. I use a door jam for isometric work.

A short 20-minute workout with good old-fashioned intensity can be amazingly effective and keep the shirt dry so I can get back to work. Something is better than nothing is my mantra this time of the year.

Here's a sample of one 20-minute workout I do. It may not seem like much but if I hit the go button and ratchet up the intensity, I'm spent 20 minutes later.

https://videos.files.wordpress.com/Q...lunch_fmt1.ogv

Old 02-14-2017, 05:40 AM

i will say this much about trainers vs doing things on your own . HOLY CRAP! .

my wife got me 4 sessions with a trainer for christmas .

now i consider myself in very good shape , i workout 6 days a week and have done so for 15 years .

i gotta say , i almost vomited .

when you do things not at your own comfortable pace and do things you are not yet developed at , the difference is night and day .

once you are out of your own comfort zone even the same exercises have so much more of an effect .

Old 02-14-2017, 06:34 AM
mlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

now i consider myself in very good shape , i workout 6 days a week and have done so for 15 years .

when you do things not at your own comfortable pace and do things you are not yet developed at , the difference is night and day .

once you are out of your own comfort zone even the same exercises have so much more of an effect .
Yup. What he said.

And....if you are in good form - you don't pull something that was not meant to be pulled.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:49 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

I agree that trainers can easily work you up into a vomit. I'd say up to about 85-90% of that level is more than enough. I want a trainer who WORKS me but I have to be assured they know exactly what I can do and aren't just so young and inexperienced that they are using the same routine with everyone who comes in the door.

I'm not 25...and I have my own goals - and I may not even want to meet those goals in a month or two but in 6 months or by Christmas. Moderation in all things means you'll keep doing what you need to for as long as you need to and not just until the first time you feel "sick".

Old 02-14-2017, 08:10 AM
mlb

The woman trainer I hired - thru my gym - was training people in their 50's and 60's specifically.

It's just so huge to train so that you are less prone to falls and strains. It's way more different than being 20 or 30 or even 40 and bulking up for appearance sake.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:20 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I'm middle aged and see a lot of folks my age or older who are in poor physical condition and that's a primary motivator to keep up with fitness and keep an eye on the body weight. I hope I'm able to keep up with energy levels to continue to workout, run, swim.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:25 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
My old trainer got me to the almost-vomiting stage twice. Yuck.

And I did one of those super slow weight training sessions once and could barely walk to my car afterwards. Lactic acid buildup is not fun.

I like my Pilates sessions because my trainer is a former professional dancer and general all-around goofball. We clown around and practice dance steps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement