Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 02:10 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Wasn't that the guy from Hogan's Heroes?
Him too. Both of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 02:56 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Guy from Hogan's Heroes was murdered.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:03 PM

588 posts, read 463,036 times
I realize that the post I wrote may have appeared snarky on first read, and yes, I was trying to get an answer as to why I look younger than my age when I DO have a chronic medical condition, grew up pretty much poor by American standards and I drink most days but not to abandon and I stated as such.

I agree that it was not written as well as my writing talents show. It was me trying to get at a question that alludes me

as in:

Why do I look younger and I listed those things that I do and whether these actions contribute both positively and not

At no time did I say or allude to whether I was attractive or not.

That was an assumption made by some of the posters and if you read the post again you will see I never said I was.

I find it interesting in these threads that a post is entered and then "they are off and runnin!" It is as if the post begins to feed upon itself.

Oh, well, I have never been one to be very politically correct and if my post brings out discourse I am all for it.

I am not from a long lived family, however, my health care and pick of jobs was much better than what my parents were able to get being from Europe and coming here with nothing after WWII.

On to another topic.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:08 PM

888 posts, read 890,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
I realize that the post I wrote may have appeared snarky on first read, and yes, I was trying to get an answer as to why I look younger than my age when I DO have a chronic medical condition, grew up pretty much poor by American standards and I drink most days but not to abandon and I stated as such.

I agree that it was not written as well as my writing talents show. It was me trying to get at a question that alludes me

as in:

Why do I look younger and I listed those things that I do and whether these actions contribute both positively and not

At no time did I say or allude to whether I was attractive or not.

That was an assumption made by some of the posters and if you read the post again you will see I never said I was.

I find it interesting in these threads that a post is entered and then "they are off and runnin!" It is as if the post begins to feed upon itself.

Oh, well, I have never been one to be very politically correct and if my post brings out discourse I am all for it.

I am not from a long lived family, however, my health care and pick of jobs was much better than what my parents were able to get being from Europe and coming here with nothing after WWII.

On to another topic.
Thanks for creating a fun topic to participate in and making me take a look at myself.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:18 PM

1,092 posts, read 832,822 times
I LIKE to think that I do not look my 66 years...but my neck & hands are the BIG wrinkled, crepey clue. As is most others I know. Check the mirror.....

Old 02-09-2017, 03:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
MattMN, what are TV ears? Are you referring to headphones that can be used with a TV. Or are you referring to a rabbit ears antenna that sits on top of the TV or next to it? How would that cut volume?

Old 02-09-2017, 03:21 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogHR View Post
I LIKE to think that I do not look my 66 years...but my neck & hands are the BIG wrinkled, crepey clue. As is most others I know. Check the mirror.....
That's why there are scarves and gloves.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:30 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post

Hopefully, I'll die before I get old (I'm 65 now)
LOL.

Sounds like my generation. We're going to be a handful in the care centers.

https://youtu.be/Qp13Nz6sKT4

Old 02-09-2017, 03:51 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I'm pondering the scolding the OP got for seeming to toot her own horn. Seems like most of us grew up with that lesson firmly implanted.

I know in the immigrant family from which I was descended that a part of that was taking care not to brag lest you call attention to the family and what they had. They had so little and needed to make sure nobody took it. And they probably also considered themselves the humblest of the humble coming here with nearly nothing but the clothes on their backs.

But there was also a kind of superstition there I think that if you bragged on yourself the angels, or gods, might overhear and take away your good fortune out of spite or to test you. Don't ask me how they squared that with their stern Lutheranism. A holdover from the pagan days?

So now I'm thinking, how often in our lives does anyone ever even ask anymore what we can do or have done, what our skills or charms are? The answer is virtually never. ( Well, unless you're filling out some sort of form or something.)

I belong to several groups that are mixed of age but the rule seems to be to never ask personal questions. I don't know if this is out of politeness for people's privacy or out of lack of interest in people who aren't your age.

Sometimes I wish someone would give me a chance to talk about myself! There's a shameful confession. Heh.

Maybe someday we should start a retirement pat-yourself-on-the-back thread and tell people what's brag-worthy about us? No judgment allowed. I'd be interested in reading about what all you articulate folks have accomplished. (And take my turn, of course.)

Old 02-09-2017, 03:53 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I am pretty active. But there are some things I won't give up. I love my coffee and diet soda. I do eat fast food now and then and once in a while, a snack size bag of Cheetos(damn how I love those things). And I have a small dessert almost every day.

Took me a lot of years to figure out deprivation leads to overindulgence. It has to be a lifestyle you can live with forever. Not a temporary prison sentence for bad behavior! Some people can do the deprivation for life thing and more power to them. I can't. I just want things even more if I can't have them.

I am who I am and I have never been a beauty queen. I have great eyes and legs and a great personality. If that's not enough, I'm OK with that. Growing up ugly taught me humility. I am old enough to accept myself. I'm not perfect and that's quite all right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement