Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,354,560 times

Advertisements

OP, can you collect unemployment insurance?

Otherwise I am not sure what your OP was about. Are you saying you do or don't want to work? Is there a question in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 11:29 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,554,991 times
No, I was just starting a conversation about whether people who retired chose to work for wages afterward, etc. Just a discussion starter.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:48 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,178,285 times
I retired 3 months ago. The day I retired I went to a local temp agency and took the administrative tests (I was surprised they do more temp work for factory and manual labor). I told them I was looking for part time temp work. So far I've been called a few times for 40 hour a week jobs lasting 4 to 6 months. I turned them down.
I may not be able to do that in the future but its only been 3 months and I'm still enjoying doing nothing.
Turns out the few administrative jobs they get in are really an employer looking to hire someone full-time and they are just using this to check them out first. I haven't been called in awhile, the woman told me they don't get fill in temp jobs like that.
I wanted part-time, preferable not for too long, serially. I wanted to be able to take time off when I want, no expectations, not really knowing anyone or getting into office relationships, drama.
Now that that hasn't worked out I'm not sure what to do next. If I'm very careful I can live on my pensions. But I just went to FL for a week and that was very expensive and has to come out of funds. I would like to make that money up and then save for the next vacation.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:36 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,859,849 times
My personality is such that I simply cannot vegetate and "smell the flowers", although that's what I happily did at first for a few months to de-stress and relax. I need something more, as the traveling, reading, etc. didn't fill the bill. But the "something more" I was looking for was much less than full-time work, otherwise I wouldn't have retired from full-time work when I did, at age 61.5.

I was fortunate to segue smoothly into occasional paid projects which I found both challenging and meaningful - envelope licking would have driven me crazy. I gave up those projects when I tired of them and found volunteer work that I love. In the past two years I have refused three one-day-a-week=for-a-few-hours paid jobs because I enjoy my volunteer work (three days a week) so much.

It's good to have choices, and it's good if retirement was voluntary (meaning money is not a consideration any more).

Old 02-10-2017, 11:53 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,554,991 times
I just spent my morning mapping out my long-planned writing projects and investigating some writer's groups and workshops. I have kept a blog for about 8 years and incorporated my love for writing, photography, history, motorcycling, and the natural world into that effort. I want to expand those interests in a number of ways. There might be a little money in there somewhere, don't know. It's not the driving force behind any of it though.
On top of all this I have other interests such as seasonal flower and garden center delivery and maintaining an Ebay store selling collectibles and antiques. These are passions of mine and can bring in a little extra money and get me out and about, interacting with others and having my type of fun.
I have so many varied interests and some are just passions and some could bring in a little income. All are enjoyable to me and on top of all that I see no way for me to ever be bored or ''missing'' a waged job working for another. Pfewey on that! So I guess I've got my ''retired future'' figured out for now. I love hearing what others have figured out and done.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:05 PM

17,145 posts, read 56,858,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you know what , my buddy worked for nyc ems . he counted the minutes until he coud get his pension .

well he retired early and now takes one low level crappy job after another .

while before he had a good job ,with good pay and benefits and basically off the performance radar at this point . now he has the worst days and hours under the microscope of some grunt supervisor .

now he realizes be careful what you wish for . he had job stresses before and now he has even worse ones but with less compensation for it .
A very good point. This is why I doubt I will "pull the plug" on my real job next year when I turn 60. I do have the option to go to 3 X 8 hour days, per week, if I want to take more time off. The main reason is that I like what I do, am reasonably good at it, beyond that, I have a Russian language tutor here, would be awkward if I was not a regular badged employee like I am now.

At the same time I can see how EMS would be quite stressful, although, if I were doing a job like that and considered myself better than average at doing it, I think I could rationalize that if I do the best I can, that's better than they have a right to expect, so if a patient has a bad outcome, it aint' my fault.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:13 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,917,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
life is tight retiring on only a partial pension for them . i forgot what percentage he got .

but folks forget while they have stress at work now , they can have different stresses on a low level job as everything they do is watched and monitored . now they still are stressed and getting a lot less for the trouble .
I've always figured those seemingly low level jobs "anyone can do" would be way more stressful in retirement- so to say I'd get one someday might be pushing it.

Do I want to be an engineer who can come and go when I want and gets paid pretty well, or an older guy being bossed around by some 24 year old kid, who gets chewed out for coming in 5 minutes late and has no freedom?

Old 02-10-2017, 01:41 PM

4,846 posts, read 3,621,144 times
I will check out at 62 and have NO plans to be in the workforce again.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:57 PM

106,114 posts, read 108,094,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I've always figured those seemingly low level jobs "anyone can do" would be way more stressful in retirement- so to say I'd get one someday might be pushing it.

Do I want to be an engineer who can come and go when I want and gets paid pretty well, or an older guy being bossed around by some 24 year old kid, who gets chewed out for coming in 5 minutes late and has no freedom?
yep , that is why i do consulting work in retirement . i work when i want and as much as i want . i have no schedule really .

if we made the move to where our 2nd home was in the pocono's and i wanted to work i would be cleaning up spills in aisle 3 for low wages.

basically i put in a few hours a month and it covers my health insurance every month pre medicare

Old 02-11-2017, 07:14 AM

10,818 posts, read 14,888,063 times
I'm 68 and I'll never fully retire because I enjoy doing what I do and I like working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement