Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:33 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,235,046 times

Advertisements

I guess most older people just hang on to their furniture if its of any quality and hope that their kids will want it - which apparently is turning into a thing as millenials increasingly don't.

I have some nice furniture, hate to shop and could keep this for the last quarter of my life.......except that its so HEAVY. I don't mean in a fashion sense of being big, dark or heavy looking. I mean it weighs a lot.

Is there a way to make quality furniture, quality being a subjective term, and still not weigh so much? Have it look nice? Have their be some variety in style? I know millenials like IKEA because it comes apart and is easy to move that way, but I've also heard that it weighs a lot.

Doesn't apply to just seniors either with people moving more than they used to. Be nice if it didn't wreck you back to move. At this point my coffee table, which I do like, is wrecking my back to move just to vacuum. Trouble is anything "nice" that I replace it with is also going to weigh a lot. Well, I could go with a different style which would decrease the weight since it has a sort of cabinet thing underneath but its not just my coffee table.

I feel like this will be the next new thing in the furniture business about the time I go into a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 02:42 PM

10,372 posts, read 8,013,488 times
Have you tried Magic Sliders under your coffee table's legs? They make moving heavy furniture a lot easier!

Ironically, IKEA stuff tends to be heavy BECAUSE it is made cheaply out of pressboard. Making it out of quality wood or out of plywood would reduce its weight, but at the cost of increased price.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:33 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,576,902 times
I have very little furniture and what little I do have can be moved with little effort. And I very rarely move that!
Nope, pared down all heavy stuff years ago. If/when we do move we will have to hire ''gorillas'' to haul the stuff out and in.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:55 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,976,762 times
For any move you make at this stage of life, you will likely hire a moving company and enjoy watching strong, young men move your stuff. As to a heavy coffee table (or any other heavy furniture), just vacuum around it. If you have hard floors, you can swiffer under it.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:09 PM

10,112 posts, read 6,465,695 times
All of my furniture is from the 1920's or earlier (both my beds are from the 1870's) and weigh a ton! I have a bad neck and shoulder but can move most of the pieces by myself using the felt-backed sliders on my antique pine floors. However, I don't have to very often because I've finally determined the best location for everything that's here now. If I ever move to another house, I'll happily watch strong young men hump all these pieces in and out of the moving truck, lol.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:11 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,668,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Have you tried Magic Sliders under your coffee table's legs? They make moving heavy furniture a lot easier!

Ironically, IKEA stuff tends to be heavy BECAUSE it is made cheaply out of pressboard. Making it out of quality wood or out of plywood would reduce its weight, but at the cost of increased price.

I use these! I have them under all of my ancient heavy furniture, including a hide abed sofa that I just had recovered. Your furniture will not slide out from under you (test it to make sure ) but will move with a push.

They make them for carpet and hard floors. There is one set that comes with a little jack to lift the furniture to slide the sliders under.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:17 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,235,046 times
I have a rather cheap tv stand cabinet with molding around the bottom that hides wheels. I sort of like that.

yes I can use sliders but the I think I would rather have lightweight finely crafted stylish furniture, made to be mobile. Most of my ideas come to pass but it does seem to take years. Maybe it will be the millenials that put it in action.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:50 PM

2 catnapper recliners, both snap in two and can be dragged across the carpet if need be. An airbed that can be deflated and moved.
Rest is small bookcases, chest of drawers, footstools, end tables, pole lamps. I could box up some of books, dishes, knicknacks, etc and get it ready to haul out to a moving van or one of those PODS trailers. The rest I'd have to get some help with. Definitely going to check into one of those PODS units.
A good hand cart and furniture sliders can make a lot of the moving easier for all of us.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 02-15-2017 at 07:01 PM..

Old 02-15-2017, 07:24 PM

2,503 posts, read 1,879,482 times
I've moved several times in my life and every time I swear it'll be the last time.

Now I vow that the next time I move, I'm going to put my purse over my shoulder, my jewelry in my pocket and then I'll just burn the whole thing down behind me - LOL.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:51 PM

Yeah, I'm eyeing that big ol' dumpster out in the parking lot and thinking, ''easy out''!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement