Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:03 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,073,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I happily have no goals in retirement other than 'me'. It's my/our turn now and for the last 12 years, we've traveled, lazed and played when we want. It's truly been our golden years. I feel like I've been waiting all my life to get here and here I am, content with my unscheduled no-goal life.
I don't think there is anything unusual about your approach to retirement. As you mentioned this has been something you were waiting for all your life. Others of us see life differently. It seemed the OP was expressing a desire for more in life but after further comments the OP has reneged on that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 08:15 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,041,054 times
We travelled a lot when the kids were young and a lot since then. Now that I am facing retirement, I could sit back and say I've done enough traveling, but there is still so much that I/we haven't seen or experienced. So I/we want to continue traveling and experiencing. Once retired, time won't be an issue like it was before, but money will be. Too late in life, I discovered there were things that I could have done when younger and in better shape that I can't do now, such as hiking into remote areas or difficult to reach areas, like some of the popular hikes in Zion NP.

Just keep in mind that doing more when young will not be as satisfying as you might think, sitting in your rocking chair later on. Keep your health as much as you can so you can continue to enjoy life. You will have to scale back somewhat, no matter what.

Possibly offensive analogy:
Spoiler
Traveling is a lot like admiring a naked woman. Once you've seen one naked, you pretty much want to see all of them naked.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:25 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,772,678 times
My father, who died at 80 still working, told me to retire as soon as I can, don't kill myself working. I retired at 58 and now at 65, while not exactly loving where I live, love the fact I can do whatever I want without some moron yelling at me, people watching every single thing I do, or someone trying to kill me. If I want to watch SpongeBob all day I can, if I want to trout fish I can, have a beer at lunch I can, take 3 hours staring at a cloud or afternoon storm I can. Retirement is great, I highly recommend it.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:00 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,495,972 times
If you are self employed, they already explore, create, learn, do, experience and accomplish new things in life. And have since they started their business.

Many self employed, after decades don't work full time, if you hire well and saved. But you still go in to keep your mind sharp and in touch. And keep the money coming in.

I look at my employed friends who have worked for the man, never traveled, and now at retirement they are taking their first overseas trip. I've been to 45 countries already, many more than once. 2 months a year overseas. Dozens of domestic trips.

What if now retired get sick and die in a couple years? What a wasted life working for the man till they hit a number.

No wonder self employment is at a all time high.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:03 AM

12,047 posts, read 10,176,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I read this thread waiting for someone to explain simply what the OP was trying to express, yet I don't think anyone did. It is the VERY old question : Is THIS all there is to life?.

There are endless volumes discussing this, much pretty boring, IMHO. The question lurks in your mind, and I do believe the more educated you are, the more the question bothers you. Typically, until retirement, you are just too darn busy WITH life, to contemplate if there is a "why" to life. The whole self awareness conundrum. Sometimes, your mind is your own worst enemy. I think I understand what the OP is saying, but agree his first post was poorly worded.

Personally, when I ask my self "Is this all there is?" I simply answer myself "yup" to shut me up, and move along to the next project......
Yep! Sometimes that is what you have to do.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:06 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,487,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
My father used to say when he had been retired for about 5 years that retirement was just an extremely boring way to wait to die.

When I was working I could never understand this. He's been dead since 2004, and retired in 1980. My mother is 95 and is still waiting.

My wife is working herself to death with volunteer work. Everything I've volunteered for has not turned out well, and I either got dumped or I got tired of being used and quit.

No one really cares what I say about anything, especially the wife.

I find that I do, after 6 years, understand exactly what my father meant.
Why don't you pick up a hobby, buy a used travel trailer and go camping, go fishing with a friend, start reading good books, join clubs, try golfing, if you can afford it, go on a road trip with your wife or fly somewhere and explore new places together, etc.

Don't just sit there bored. Get off your duff! lol There is lots to do if you only look around and give something, anything, a try.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:20 AM

242 posts, read 230,007 times
Quote:
My father used to say when he had been retired for about 5 years that retirement was just an extremely boring way to wait to die.

When I was working I could never understand this. He's been dead since 2004, and retired in 1980. My mother is 95 and is still waiting.

My wife is working herself to death with volunteer work. Everything I've volunteered for has not turned out well, and I either got dumped or I got tired of being used and quit.

No one really cares what I say about anything, especially the wife.

I find that I do, after 6 years, understand exactly what my father meant.

"It is more blessed to give than to receive". Your Mom knows the gratification that one gets from helping others. It sounds like she thrives on it. She is not sitting around worrying about what others think about her...she's out there "doing".

I worked for 31 years and for 25 of those years, i've been preparing for retirement. During some of those years, I had a second job on three days a week. Time was scarce and I pressed on looking forward to the day that I would have time to pursue other interests. Now two years retired, I'm doing the things I've always wanted to do: new retirement home in a more affordable state, gardening, singing in a community choir, bicycling, cooking new recipes that I never had the time to do, volunteering in church, joining a morning Bible study, and traveling...cruises, South America, Canada...etc.

I think you need to find some things that will inspire you. There is still so much to learn in this life when we're older and have the time to do them.

Get out and try new things! Be proactive and not reactive!

Old 02-17-2017, 09:34 AM

888 posts, read 885,671 times
Sometimes when people post things about their thoughts and feelings, they get demonstrated understanding and empathy. Other times, they get a good scolding.

While I've yet to be seriously scolded here, I'm sure I've said things a time or two that warranted a good scolding. The OP sure seems to be getting one here with this topic. I'll spare him a scolding but rather compliment him for sharing his honest feelings and thoughts as putrid as they may read to some.

It's a matter of time before I get my long-overdue scolding and I'll know when it has arrived.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,606,192 times
Quote:
Yes there are many many people who have less than I do and who are moving along. I didn't need to be told that, since I'm fully aware.

Its a kind of existential boring. Does anyone know what an existential crises is? I have no problems keeping busy. I'm very very busy.
Can you go back to work? If you're a licensed mental health care provider, can you open a small office and see people 3 or 4 days a week?

Old 02-17-2017, 10:19 AM

12,047 posts, read 10,176,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Can you go back to work? If you're a licensed mental health care provider, can you open a small office and see people 3 or 4 days a week?
yes, I think more face to face counseling might give him something to look forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement