Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:30 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times

Advertisements

Republicans are going to do their best to cut your benefits. Don't vote against your best interest. Ryan is behind cutting medicare and making it a voucher program. The end result would naturally be less coverage for seniors and catastrophic if you had cancer and used your credits up. No such worries under medicare now.(with a supplement )
The answer is of course to put these no good politicians on the same programs we have and see how quickly they get fixed. These politicians work a few years and then get a pension. These politicians also can vote themselves a raise whenever they want. Yes, it's a racquet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 05:26 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Within a couple dollars that is what it is for me and an extra $800, for us anyway, was to good to pass up.

I am one of those who didn't save like I should have when younger so this went a long way to make up for what I didn't do.
You and me both.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:13 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
................ These politicians also can vote themselves a raise whenever they want. Yes, it's a racquet.
That would be a racket, no?

Old 02-19-2017, 06:12 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I'm doing 62. Currently I'm building up residual income sources through network marketing. I look at it this way. Build with youth and if youth catches on that income can go on for a long time. Then there's annuities. The key to retirement from what I have personally seen is guaranteed income.

What is the monthly guaranteed income coming in every month? That's the retirement bottom line. If married then consider life insurance for the spouse if there's going to be a drop in income at death. Keep it simple.
Network marketing as a long term guaranteed income source is dicey. You're assuming the company stays in business and people stay in your down line. Very FEW people make any money in network marketing.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:07 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Thanks for the posts on my thread everyone.

To all who recommend I not RELY on SS as my only income - rest assured I am not. I'm also saving like a madwoman into my 401K and a Roth IRA, and will also have a small pension from my current company.

As for my income as it shows in the SS website. The first three years currently listed were my summer jobs in high school and college. I made less than $5K in each of those three years. By 2020 those will drop off completely, and will be replaced by what I earn now (or more if I get raises/promotions in that time).

I'm not making $120K/year (I wish!) but I am earning substantially more than $5K/year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement