Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:08 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,667,243 times

Advertisements

ordinary day to day living is much harder in cold climates than it is in warmer ones..most people do just the opposite of what you are thinking of doing..and it gets harder the older you get..the first thing I did when moving down south is to sell the log splitter and snow blower..good riddance..and ya know that feeling ya get when you start to fall down on from slipping on ice?..it becomes terrifying when ya get older..not to mention the fact that you don't have to put on nearly as many clothes in the colder climates every day either..personally I think it would be a mistake for you..rent for a year before you buy would be my best advise..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 04:14 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierPressure53 View Post
My wife and I are looking at Twin Falls, Idaho or Idaho Falls, idaho as our retirement location.

Having lived in a warm weather location most of or life, we are a bit worried about moving to a cold weather retirement area.

My question to the forum would be 1st to those retirees like us, that have moved from warm weather areas to colder areas such as Idaho and how they adapted, and was it difficult?

I would also be in search for input from seniors in and how they cope with the winters, and what do they actually do in the winter, besides wait for spring.

Thanks.
John
Why would you do this?

I lived a few years in Idaho and it's a great state but if you've never experienced a long winter, it's going to be an adjustment for both of you and the older yu get the less tolerant of the cold winter you're likely to get. I suggest living a winter there in a rental and then deciding. Twin Falls is a really nice little town.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:33 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yep! Colder climates are basically 8-9 months of hibernation, and then 3-4 months of an explosion of activities. The hibernation is more like cabin-fever as well.

There is a reason why most Northerners would love to retire somewhere warm....we want to minimize or eliminate that 8-9 months of cabin-fever.
Utter nonsense.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:58 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
I truly cannot imagine living in a climate where I can't go outside and play every day of the year. I did live up north for years, and each winter was just wasted time for me, until it got warm enough where I could go outside and play. At this stage in my life, I dont have any time to waste, much less entire months. But thats just me.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:26 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,730 times
Tolerance for cold/tolerance for heat and humidity vary from person to person. It is a huge exaggeration to claim that northern climates have 8-9 months of hibernation and a short flurry of summer activities. We have lived all over the United States and chose to move farther north to Maine for several reasons. The colder climate was one of them.

In New England, there are typically 1-2 months where the weather and temperatures might be less than hospitable. The weather changes often here, even in winter. Some winters are milder than others. Having an efficient heating system, a home that can withstand winter, a Subaru , and proper clothing/base layers/footwear make it simple to stay active during the winter months. We cross-country ski on the ponds and in the woods, walk our dogs on plowed roads and trails, and shovel snow. Autumn and winter are my favorite seasons! Very cozy and enjoyable. It's easy to plan trips to town around winter weather. Snow storms don't sneak up on folks here. Less crime and fewer natural disasters in colder climates, too.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:35 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am not sure why you want to move to a cold climate and "cope". It seems you are rightly worried about this move.

Anyway, I live in an area with moderate winters. Next week I fly to Hawaii for 3 weeks. I also have a number of indoor activities: indoor archery, photography in greenhouses, and classes at the local U. Regardless of the activities, I do not do well in winter. My health declines and I gain weight. I get a lot more exercise and feel better in warmer weather. Each year winter gets harder.

This is our experience also.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:44 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,575 times
Agree with Fern435. We are soon retiring to a nice piece of land few miles south of the Macinac Bridge in northern Michigan. We fell in love with winter when we lived in Colorado, then later relocated to Maine and lived in houses from the Canadian border all the way down to Portland. Winter not only has never stopped us from enjoying the outdoors, it provides winter activities that have kept us healthy in our 60s- I personally enjoy snow-blowing the drive. Humidity and heat is our least favorite weather event, Fall is our favorite season. The one compromise I will make here is the topic of 'Ice Storms'- don't like anything about them. Fortunately haven't had one in Michigan in the few years we have lived here.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:54 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
If it weren't for our adult kids being here, we'd be back in a warmer climate. Driving in pouring rain, snow and ice is getting harder. We end up spending too much time indoors in winter. Luckily we are in a 55+ community so we do have neighbors around to socialize with, otherwise it would be very isolating.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:14 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
We lived in the Phoenix area for 25+ years until 2012 when we moved to Raleigh (we were age 55 and 70 at that time). The first winter was hell for me because of the cold and snow. Each winter gets a little easier, but I still dread them. When it snows, we hole up in the house (except for short walks to take the dog out).

The summer humidity is very difficult for DH, and it seems to bother him more every year. If I croaked tomorrow, I believe he would move back to phoenix.

Don't minimize the affect of weather on your retirement life!

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 02-19-2017 at 07:36 AM..

Old 02-19-2017, 07:22 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I find that, as I get older, humidity bothers me more than ever. I hole up in the New England summer with a/c on. I feel ill whenever I go out, and I only go out to work.

I hired some one to shovel the other day for the first time. I am recovering from some surgery, otherwise would still shovel, but you can always hire someone. I will enjoy watching a storm come in when I no longer have to get on the highway at night to go to work. I love crisp cold air with clear blue skies and sun. I find the haze of summer very discouraging, and might have a depression link with humidity the way some people do with light. I've lived in southern N.E. since 1974 mostly, and find the summers getting stickier (not hotter) and less manageable every year. I do see people out walking, doing yard work, etc., so maybe it's just me but I look forward to moving to the area where I vacation almost every year- 7,000 foot altitude, no humidity and the gorgeous San Juan Mountains. No more East Coast summers after 2017!

I do follow the weather reports for my new town. It can get colder at night than N.E. in general (more single digit nights) and more sunny nice winter days- more sun. I am going to get sunglasses madefor UV and polarized and wraparound and all. I'm told that high-altitude sun can lead to cataracts more easily. Oh those crisp sunny days.

Now, grey cold dreary days... not inspiring. I really think the sun makes a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement