Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 05:16 PM

21,540 posts, read 8,722,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Wanted to thank some of the posters who added links for further research/study results.
Loved the line" then more folks would be willing to try it". Our state just passed the "medical" reform bill for MJ. Our teens were ecstatic! Seems they took it to mean...Smoke it if you got it!.
Our schools once again had to crackdown on this misnomer.
Witnessed a child with brain trauma...Induring seizures..Of 20-30 in a day. Her mom found MJ (oil) reduced it's frequency and the grand mulls were not so grand. I still stand on the fence on its long term effect when used daily. Most "herbs" eventually take higher dosages... To maintain the desired alleviation. On a personal level...I cannot be within distance of a person using this recreationally(smoking). I'm an anomaly as I actually get seizures from that herb. Spent a day at a hospital because some kid decided to light up at a concert..And I was rushed to Er. Doctors thought I had ingested it or was smoking it directly.. took a skilled doctor to test my reaction..And sure enough..Once THC dances in my blood stream..My brain sends a message to repell it. It doesn't soothe me... so yes there is THAT side effect ..
How interesting that you have such a severe reaction to THC, Nov3. I have a friend who's the same way. She can't tolerate any psychoactive substance, not even pharmaceuticals like tranquilizers or antidepressants.

You still might be able to use CBD products that contain no THC, but with your history I'd be extremely cautious and start with just one drop. Here's where I got mine: https://www.greenroadsworld.com/coll...-cannabis-oils (This is not an endorsement as I have only just started using it and am still not 100% sure whether it is helping me with insomnia.)

As to the problem of needing higher dosages, I think that people can develop a tolerance to THC after using it for some time. I find that for me cannabis is self-limiting because if I use more than a small amount (5-10 mg. THC), I experience anxiety and other unpleasant side effects. That is a pretty strong incentive not to overdo it. My tolerance doesn't seem to have changed much in seven months of daily use.

More serious scientific research needs to be done on cannabis - not just its benefits, but also side effects and contraindications - so that people who are serious about using it for medical reasons can be informed about how to use it safely and responsibly.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 03-12-2017 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: clarity and additional information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 05:55 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Seniors are discovering that Medical Marijuana can relieve pain without the debilitating side effects of opiates.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/19/n...e=sectionfront

This is becoming popular in those states that have legalized medical marijuana.

Your experiences?
No but my neighbor invited me in to share some. He said it was OK, it was medical

Old 03-13-2017, 11:00 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
BA4 -- I do not live in Arkansas.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
BA4 -- I do not live in Arkansas.
Oh, I'm sorry. Your screen name threw me off. I hope that the laws will change in the state where you are.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:57 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
I use it for insomnia and marginal pain relief. In Oregon, the last time I checked, it cost about $400 to get a medical card which allows you to buy more at one time, at a particular dispensary and avoid the 20% state tax on recreational sales. So, yes, there is a difference here in Oregon between medical and recreational.
For the sake of clarification, the application or renewal fee for an OMMP (Oregon Medical Marijuana Program) patient card from the Oregon Health Dept is a maximum of $200 per year. There are some circumstances that allow the fee to be as low as $20 per year. A separate form is also required each year from a physician, so that's an additional expense, but is not part of the fee paid to OMMP. If the patient has medical insurance, the physician exam fee is usually covered in part or in full, but does not cover purchases from a dispensary.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
If the patient has medical insurance, the physician exam fee is usually covered in part or in full, but does not cover purchases from a dispensary.
This is going to make it difficult for low-income seniors to take advantage of medical cannabis. It's expensive but is not covered by Medicare or private health insurance.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:23 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
This is going to make it difficult for low-income seniors to take advantage of medical cannabis. It's expensive but is not covered by Medicare or private health insurance.
Get rid of the "medical" nonsense and the actually legal AG product could be as cheap as asparagus.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Get rid of the "medical" nonsense and the actually legal AG product could be as cheap as asparagus.
It's true that many people use cannabis solely to get high, but this does not mean that the medical benefits of cannabis are "nonsense." It's helped many people with pain, seizures, anxiety, muscle spasms, glaucoma and other disorders without the side effects and risks of pharmaceuticals. More research needs to be done, which won't be possible until the Feds take cannabis off the list of Schedule I substances.

23 Health Benefits Of Marijuana - Business Insider

Old 04-03-2017, 06:29 PM

244 posts, read 235,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
For the sake of clarification, the application or renewal fee for an OMMP (Oregon Medical Marijuana Program) patient card from the Oregon Health Dept is a maximum of $200 per year. There are some circumstances that allow the fee to be as low as $20 per year. A separate form is also required each year from a physician, so that's an additional expense, but is not part of the fee paid to OMMP. If the patient has medical insurance, the physician exam fee is usually covered in part or in full, but does not cover purchases from a dispensary.
The last time I checked, the card was $200 and their doctor was $200 so about $400 all together. So I am not sure if I would be saving all that much, not paying the 20% tax. Without even asking, my primary care doctor said that they don't do that sort of thing. I am such an infrequent user that a co2 vape cartridge lasts several months but it would be nice to get more than one little edible at a time.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:31 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
...does not mean that the medical benefits of cannabis are "nonsense."
Nope they sure aren't.

The nonsense comment is about not legalizing generally...
and independent of medical use purposes.

As it stands the medical and pseudo legality we have now prop up black market price levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement