Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 07:18 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
This is going to make it difficult for low-income seniors to take advantage of medical cannabis. It's expensive but is not covered by Medicare or private health insurance.
The expense of the doctor visit itself is covered by Medicare and private or supplemental health insurance for a preexisting condition or a newer condition that happens to be included in the allowable conditions that can be helped by cannabis. The eligible medical conditions established by state regulations may vary by each state.

The medical marijuana itself has to be paid for entirely by the patient since it's not covered by Medicare or other health insurance policies, primarily because of federal classification and regulations. It's not much different in that regard than buying over-the-counter medication for allergies, flu, etc. Medicare and other forms of medical insurance don't cover those kinds of medications so you have to pay for it in full. However, those kinds of meds also don't require patients to pay for a state permit. As such, buying medical marijuana from a dispensary means paying for it in full.

There are a lot of ways to look at how much it's going to cost the patient. If a patient is going to require a lot over the span of a year (as an example), it can get costly. On the other hand, if a patient doesn't require that much, then the overall cost might less costly.

I think most states that allow medical marijuana also have an alternative to reduce the cost, namely growing your own from seed or plants for your own personal use. Not everyone is up to the task or have the space to grow their own though.

There may be yet other cost-reducing alternatives. I don't know about other states, but Oregon allows a patient to choose a grower or someone willing to grow it for you. On the plus side, at least in Oregon, the grower is not allowed to charge for the crop, although there may be some small operating expenses involved. Generally though, they aren't suppose to charge you for the product. Such non-commercial growers in Oregon have to pay $200 for a grower permit.

However, if you are the grower (in Oregon), you still have to register your grow site, but there's no fee for the permit. You can grow your own indoors or outdoors. Some dispensaries may have small potted plants or seeds for sale. I don't know about prices for small plants, but I don't think it's very expensive. If a patient is going to grow their own, they should do some good research on the subject beforehand.

I suspect California has similar regulations that can reasonably reduce the cost for the patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 07:49 PM

320 posts, read 233,757 times
My husband uses medical cannabis for a back issue and it makes a huge difference in pain relief.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
The last time I checked, the card was $200 and their doctor was $200 so about $400 all together. So I am not sure if I would be saving all that much, not paying the 20% tax. Without even asking, my primary care doctor said that they don't do that sort of thing. I am such an infrequent user that a co2 vape cartridge lasts several months but it would be nice to get more than one little edible at a time.
I understand what you mean, and you're right. Adding in the expense of seeing your primary care physician is an additional cost. I don't know what kind of medical insurance you have or what it provides, but I have Medicare and a supplemental health insurance plan to cover more of the cost that Medicare doesn't. The out-of-pocket expense for me to see my primary care physician is zero. I see him on a routine basis a few times a years, and occasionally for other issues if necessary. He's been my primary care physician for a few decades so he's quite familiar with my medical history. He's also OMMP friendly. Relative to medical marijuana, the only expense to me (other than the dispensary expense) is the annual $200 fee to renew the permit.

Unless you feel very comfortable with your current physician, maybe you should consider seeing another for a second opinion. I'm certain there are plenty OMMP friendly physicians in the Eugene-Springfield area. You might check around, as there are physicians that are not currently accepting new patients. I'd also check your medical insurance to see what the expense to you is for an PCP office visit is. If you have insurance, it should cover a hefty portion of the office visit. Just a thought.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:03 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Us, seniors, when to HS in the sixties and college in the Vietnam era. Is this discovery something new?

Old 04-04-2017, 12:07 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Us, seniors, when to HS in the sixties and college in the Vietnam era. Is this discovery something new?
Cannabis isn't new, of course. It's been used medicinally for thousands of years. Even in the U.S. it wasn't until 1942 that it was placed on the Schedule I list of drugs (high possibility of addiction; no legitimate uses) along with drugs like heroin.

I think what's happening is that the baby boomer generation discovered that cannabis was a pleasant, relatively harmless way to chill out and not a scary, evil, dangerous drug. This generation are now our mayors, governors, representatives, senators and congressmen. They don't see any reason to continue demonizing cannabis and are finally in a position to do something about it, especially now that the medical benefits of cannabis are starting to become known. People who've successfully used it for things like cancer pain, spasms and neurological disorders are also coming out of the closet and demanding that it be made legal.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope they sure aren't.

The nonsense comment is about not legalizing generally...
and independent of medical use purposes.

As it stands the medical and pseudo legality we have now prop up black market price levels.
Thank you for clarifying that, Mr. Rational. I took your post the wrong way.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:50 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I take guifennesin for my Fibro, and am symptom free.
I searched & can't find anything called "guifennesin", the closest is guaifenesin which is an expectorant, it loosens mucous. Just asking because a friend has fibro and when I hear something that works I pass the info on to her

Old 04-05-2017, 11:44 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Like some, I graduated from "Been There And Done It" University. In California, the medical adjective is no longer necessary with recreation being the new adjective of choice.

Sticking with the medical adjective, I'm amazed at how many ill people there are in California who are card-carrying members of what is known as the 420 Club.

At this point in my life, if it doesn't help me run faster, jump higher, lift heavier, move with more agility, think clear and quicker, I'll pass. But I do believe those who suffer from chronic pain might experience some temporary relief from it being "high" just like a bottle of whiskey temporarily numbs the toils of emotional and physical pain.

While one never knows, if I ever one day I'm afflicted with chronic pain, I hope and pray I'll be able to carry my cross without resorting to becoming a modern-day pothead.
I have been a "modern day pothead" for almost fifty years. Other than the expense, I haven't seen a downside.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I searched & can't find anything called "guifennesin", the closest is guaifenesin which is an expectorant, it loosens mucous. Just asking because a friend has fibro and when I hear something that works I pass the info on to her
There is information about it. You're right that it is primarily used as an expectorant to loosen mucus. I'd suggest being very careful about it though and would recommend talking with a physician about it. However, some people feel that it has been helpful in reducing the pain associated with fibromyalgia, while others feel it doesn't help. No idea about dosage. To be safe when using it, don't drink alcohol and don't plan on driving as it can cause drowsiness. It's also worth noting that it can interact with other medications, and could have some unpleasant side effects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaifenesin_protocol
https://www.drugs.com/comments/guaif...romyalgia.html
https://www.drugs.com/guaifenesin.html
https://www.drugs.com/drug-interacti...aifenesin.html

Old 04-05-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Like some, I graduated from "Been There And Done It" University. In California, the medical adjective is no longer necessary with recreation being the new adjective of choice.

Sticking with the medical adjective, I'm amazed at how many ill people there are in California who are card-carrying members of what is known as the 420 Club.

At this point in my life, if it doesn't help me run faster, jump higher, lift heavier, move with more agility, think clear and quicker, I'll pass. But I do believe those who suffer from chronic pain might experience some temporary relief from it being "high" just like a bottle of whiskey temporarily numbs the toils of emotional and physical pain.

While one never knows, if I ever one day I'm afflicted with chronic pain, I hope and pray I'll be able to carry my cross without resorting to becoming a modern-day pothead.
I'd like to add, as one member of the 420 club, that you don't need to have cancer, multiple sclerosis or some other visible illness to benefit from cannabis. I use it for insomnia. It's a lot safer than sleeping pills.

California law allows medical marijuana for any chronic condition that can be benefited by its use. Of course this opens the door to abuse since anyone can claim to have one of these conditions. But now that recreational use is legal, it's likely that only legitimate medical users will go to the trouble of paying hundreds of dollars for the card unless they're trying to avoid sales tax. You would have to use an awful lot of cannabis to make it worthwhile, though.

Also, while alcohol and MJ may both ease pain, alcohol is toxic and (when used in excess) destroys health rather than ameliorating it, while cannabis has genuine medical benefits, is a lot safer and is impossible to OD on (ass opposed to using too much, which can be quite unpleasant).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement