Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:18 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes, because from what I've read and understood, the company is just paying you more upfront to match what you would eventually get when you start receiving social security. Then when you do start receiving social security, they decrease your pension. So your retirement payout is even during your retired years. So no real money is coming from SS.
And it is a pretty good deal if you die before you start SS. Well, financially that is. You will have already received a higher pension for a while from your employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 07:40 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But, again, she isn't 55 yet.
Then there must be some other way to qualify for this pension benefit besides being 55.

Did you note that your link is to a particular pension organization, and NOT to the Social Security Administration? That's how you know this is not an SS program.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:59 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
What link?

And if it has nothing to do with SS, how do they come to "adjust down" your original alloted SS check in the future?

Old 05-19-2017, 11:14 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
What link?

And if it has nothing to do with SS, how do they come to "adjust down" your original alloted SS check in the future?
It is the pension program amount that is adjusted down when the person starts collecting social security.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 AM

Are you saying the pension program is the one that takes part of your otherwise larger SS check for life? Because somehow the check sent by SS directly to you will be smaller if you opt for this. They must play SOME role in it...

Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM

242 posts, read 231,429 times
Quote:
She retired early in order to start her own business.
Maybe it's an Oyster House, because there is definitely something fishy about her story.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Are you saying the pension program is the one that takes part of your otherwise larger SS check for life? Because somehow the check sent by SS directly to you will be smaller if you opt for this. They must play SOME role in it...

no , your pension is reduced later on when ss kicks in .

to even out your income the pension gives you your pension money due you plus actually adds additional money to it , which is what you would get from social security when it kicks in too so your check is higher early on before you can file for ss .

once social security kicks in you would be getting a lot more so your pension is now reduced smaller than what you normally would get and ss brings you back up .

so now that ss kicked in they reduce your pension to even less than it would have been .

in effect they loan you the ss money early through your pension , then once it kicks in take the money they fronted you back .

Old 05-19-2017, 12:28 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
What link?

Oh, I'm sorry. Ansible90 shared that link! I thought that you had. My bad.

It is the pension plan which adjusts the benefit check they pay; SS calculates benefits the regular way.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:37 PM

Okay, I called for clarification. All adjustments (first the early payments, then the reduced payments) are made by our pension program in the checks coming from them; the SS amount remains unaltered. It wasn't explained correctly, and the name of this maneuver is very misleading. I get that it alters when SS begins, but why not just call it the Early Pension Adjustment Option? Anyway, I hope that settles it...

Last edited by otterhere; 05-19-2017 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-19-2017, 12:51 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Okay, I called for clarification. All adjustments (first the early payments, then the reduced payments) are made by our pension program in the checks coming from them; the SS amount remains unaltered. It wasn't explained correctly, and the name of this maneuver is very misleading. I get that it alters when SS begins, but why not just call it the Early Pension Adjustment Option? Anyway, I hope that settles it...
It does not alter when SS begins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement