Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 11:03 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Since the OP has come back to explain what his post even means, I'll just say that to say the worst part of retirement is that "you never get a day off" makes no sense what-so-ever.

Given that in retirement (full retirement) you can make your own schedule and the very concept of a day off is irrelevant, the OP's statement is nonsensical.
It makes perfect sense if you stop to think about it. Most people, unless in the military, law enforcement, fire or retail, get weekends, Monday holidays and major holidays off, not to leave out vacations, etc.

Once fully retired you're just that, retired, regardless of the day of the week, hour of the day or event, you name it. You're retired. You can't escape it or take a day off from it no matter where you go or what you do. It's precisely that which makes hours and days blend together and become ever so less important than they were during your employed times.

The only thing that's nonsensical is the absence of a sense of humor an inability to think outside the box (whatever that inane phrase means).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 11:28 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
^^ Touche. I still maintain that to care about, or comment on, 'getting a day off" when every day is a day off (from work), is stupid. BUT that's just me, and my opinion, and just like…noses everyone has one…. No harm, no foul intended.

And if a person is doing even just a little bit of anything, getting out at all -- one's days off shouldn't just blend together. You should't need a "day off" to keep you knowing which day it is, if you're doing things.

And who the heck needs to "escape" retirement? Again, just my opinion -- I think that concept is ridiculous.

Hey, you can call me the "Curmudgeon" of the day.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:41 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It makes perfect sense if you stop to think about it. Most people, unless in the military, law enforcement, fire or retail, get weekends, Monday holidays and major holidays off, not to leave out vacations, etc.

Once fully retired you're just that, retired, regardless of the day of the week, hour of the day or event, you name it. You're retired. You can't escape it or take a day off from it no matter where you go or what you do. It's precisely that which makes hours and days blend together and become ever so less important than they were during your employed times.

The only thing that's nonsensical is the absence of a sense of humor an inability to think outside the box (whatever that inane phrase means).
I solved this problem by listen to CNBC everyday. When there is a 3-day weekend I get a day off.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
And who the heck needs to "escape" retirement? Again, just my opinion -- I think that concept is ridiculous.
Of course it is. There are only two escapes, death or returning to work. I'd almost rather the first over the second.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 02-22-2017 at 01:40 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 08:02 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,154 times
Let's see...I spend my days relaxing, doing chores or fun things, coming and going as I please, but I'm not paid to do so, but I do get money monthly. OR...I spend my days having to do someone else's ''chore'' for 8 hours+ and then get some monthly money for those hours and the rest of the time I spend my days relaxing...etc.
Not that big of a difference. Just more time for me without interruption.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:19 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
Right now I could use a day off. We've been installing a glass back splash in our kitchen and we both have cuts all over our hands. It's been a hard couple of days with another 10 hour day tomorrow. It feels good to be back among the living after that bad cold that put us both flat on our backs for almost two weeks. Yes, every day is Saturday when you're retired but that's usually the honey do day, and I have a list a mile long. We're going to be pretty busy as soon as the weather breaks again so I'll just enjoy a few boring days when I can get them.

Poor John. You should have seen the look on his face when I came running in the house pretending I cut my self on the wet saw yelling "take me to the hospital." I scared the crap out of him. It was hilarious. He always gives me a hard time when I play with the power tools. I don't know why. I'm pretty good with them. I think they're fun. So is this tiling project I just hope we can finish installing tomorrow before we lose these crazy warm days.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:09 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,118 times
I also didn't need the premise explained to me. Most of my friends on the Book of Faces are still working, so I kind of chuckle whenever I see the TGIF and AAARGH it's Monday posts.

But you do lose track of time.

"Big plans for this weekend?"

Me: "Why? What's this weekend?"

"Uhh ... Labor Day??"

Last edited by Corvette Ministries; 02-23-2017 at 02:59 AM..

Old 02-23-2017, 05:36 AM

7,888 posts, read 11,400,197 times
It was my Dads statement, he was self employed and kept him self busy in retirement with grandkids, travel, new hobbies.

I am retired now for almost 10 years. I stay busy with golf 3 days a week and work part time for a family business here in the area we moved after retirement. The phrase to me means, I don't get something structured for me, not by me, to occupy a good portion of my time. I miss the people and fun of the decisions I had before me to make in my job. I do not miss being on the clock all the time with the technology and the global nature of the work I did. I do not miss the stress of rough patches or long long hours on special projects. I do not miss having to plan vacations well in advance and not being able to take off and do something unplanned on a whim as I can now.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:18 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,197 times
From what? You want a day off from relaxation and freedom? That's called death. Soon enough.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:58 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,199 times
Lol I still look forward to weekends and woooohoooo Sunday nites are so much fun when there's no work Monday!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement