Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:43 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,016,586 times

Advertisements

Burning to death slowly in a fire, would be the worst way to go IMO.

Though surviving a fire like that after being burned over 80% of your body, would probably be worse than dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 04:17 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
+1

My boyhood best friend died of ALS. He was diagnosed at age 40 and lasted 9 years which is about 5 more than the average. His last few years were brutal. Paralyzed from the neck down. Wheelchair. Tracheotomy with a machine breathing for him. His wife is a pediatric ICU nurse so she never got to escape care giving. It ripped her apart, too.

I was at Mass General with him and his wife when he got the diagnosis. I did some soul searching about my own life and opted to take 20 months off.
Just curious, but was he a veteran? I was told by a VA person ALS was very common among vets.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:57 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Just curious, but was he a veteran? I was told by a VA person ALS was very common among vets.
Nope. It makes sense that veterans would have a high incidence of it. One of the big triggers is trauma/pain based on what I read years ago. My friend got rear-ended at a traffic light by a drunk going 60 mph. He had chronic back pain from that.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:31 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
My dad died at 65 with cancer, miserable. At 91 my mother went to bed and never woke up. I prefer her way.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:56 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I think ALS has to be one of the worst. Lou Gehrig's disease.
I agree mainly because once ALS, Huntington's Chorea or MS> one knows once diagnosed, their days are numbered and HC becomes top priority ( some Cancers too) which many don't have HC Insurance to cover it.

The person diagnosed with the above knows full well the worst case scenario and probability factors. Also want to mention.. while neurologically you deteriorate... YOUR brain and cognitive abilities DON'T!! But many people may NOT want to put loved ones thru the PAIN and COSTS to prolong life beyond functionality.

In my business, ( HC) we often would discuss. IF it's our time.. Let it be instant, painless and allowed enough time to make amends to those they may have offended..and make sure your legal measures are in order! I have ventured to tick off many of those boxes. Legal Will, Kids know what my wishes are, Pre-paid funeral, all expenses and internment. Hey, no one escapes Life "Alive", but I believe our spirit does move on.. and I do not want my children, grandchildren and close friends to grieve.. But to celebrate my LIFE! Grief is common for humans.. But IF all boxes are ticked off.. it allows for smoother transitions from generation to generation.

But given the OP's question> The worst way to go is un-resolved angers, suffering endless pain, being exposed to demeaning treatments, inability to communicate, having family suffering watching you deteriorate and suffer .. the list is endless and much of OP's list is included. However, I will mention, that Dementia and Alzheimers folks have somehow moved beyond earthly recognition of even loved ones and often dwell on things that they suppressed from some unknown time in their life. It's a very sad situation for loved ones to NOT be recognized and be treated as unfamiliar people. THIS causes much more pain to the loved ones than the one suffering the condition..

Bottomline for myself~~ If I had the choice~~ Kidney failure... why..painless and wouldn't even know what was going on. May not be great for family and loved ones.. but if being selfish.. I'd just drift away onto a much better place!

Old 02-26-2017, 06:00 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Over the years I feared various diseases, and of course none of them came to pass. Having given it some thought, the worst way to go is old and alone. Regardless of the cause of death, l rather die of some disease at 75 with family and friends about than to die peacefully in my sleep alone, having outlived my friends, spouse and my kids.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:08 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Burning to death slowly in a fire, would be the worst way to go IMO.

Though surviving a fire like that after being burned over 80% of your body, would probably be worse than dying.
Agreed. Even burning to death quickly would be horrible.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:13 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nope. It makes sense that veterans would have a high incidence of it. One of the big triggers is trauma/pain based on what I read years ago. My friend got rear-ended at a traffic light by a drunk going 60 mph. He had chronic back pain from that.
The VA rep didn't single out combat vets, he said all vets. He hinted that one suspect event that is common to just about all vets is getting shots by the pneumatic gun. They used that a lot when I was in ,late 50's. I don't know if its still used .

Old 02-26-2017, 06:19 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,961,718 times
When they find me... I want to have a surprised expression on my face.... looks like she didn't see that coming.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:56 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Being burned alive is the worst way I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement