Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:47 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,136,432 times

Advertisements

I recently read this article Who will pay for Mom's or Dad's Nursing Home Bill? And was surprised to find that there have been a few cases where states are upholding old filial laws making children responsible to pay for their parents' long term care. As a flood of seniors enter this phase of life with inadequate funds to pay for their own care I wonder do you think these laws will be used even more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 12:11 PM

11,022 posts, read 6,557,757 times
Man, that is terrifying! Who knew those laws had been on the books for so long?

I'm glad that is not an issue for us any longer.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,311,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I recently read this article Who will pay for Mom's or Dad's Nursing Home Bill? And was surprised to find that there have been a few cases where states are upholding old filial laws making children responsible to pay for their parents' long term care. As a flood of seniors enter this phase of life with inadequate funds to pay for their own care I wonder do you think these laws will be used even more?
They will be used until the debt-ridden Millennials get rid of them. And I predict they will get rid of them.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,311,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Man, that is terrifying! Who knew those laws had been on the books for so long?

I'm glad that is not an issue for us any longer.
Talk about an anachronism.

Such laws date from a time when, on average, each generation did better financially than the previous one.

And now?

Old 02-28-2017, 12:22 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,767,640 times
There are 'look back' provisions (3-5-year window) to prevent the elderly from transferring all of their assets to their children or other, in order to qualify for Medicaid NH/ALS funding. If it could be shown that there was an intent to transfer assets, leaving a NH/ALS resident destitute, one could imagine there might be an effort to recapture those funds from the receiving parties. Otherwise, it's pretty difficult to imagine how children, who did not co-sign for that financial responsibility, could be held liable it.

I've worked with Florida NH/ALS facilities, but, Florida does not seem to have these 'Filial laws.'

Hmm ... Maybe if we lived elsewhere, we could start having our bills sent to our grown children??

Old 02-28-2017, 12:27 PM

199 posts, read 130,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
They will be used until the debt-ridden Millennials get rid of them. And I predict they will get rid of them.
The filial laws or their parents?

Old 02-28-2017, 12:36 PM

12,050 posts, read 10,200,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEHxx View Post
The filial laws or their parents?
That was funny

Old 02-28-2017, 12:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,226 posts, read 80,405,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Talk about an anachronism.

Such laws date from a time when, on average, each generation did better financially than the previous one.

And now?

That still happens. Ask any millennial tech worker in Silicone Valley or here in Seattle making $200k+ what their parents did, and you will find them to have made a much more modest living.

With such laws or not, that is still happening. We had to help my mother-in-law when she went into assisted living, and now my siblings and I often have to help our parents financially and otherwise. They took care of us for 18-20 years, now we have a chance to help take care of them for probably less, 10-15 years.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:08 PM

153 posts, read 153,049 times
Grrreat. I just posted about my dad wanting to move in with me. I'm in California.

He lives in a small town in Pennsylvania and has 2 apartment buildings he would have to sell, but the amount of money he would get from them is small when compared to California properties, so I was thinking he could live off of that and S.S. while I owned and paid for the house.

This puts a different perspective on it. And I don't want to live in a tiny burg in Pennsylvania.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,544,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That still happens. Ask any millennial tech worker in Silicone Valley or here in Seattle making $200k+ what their parents did, and you will find them to have made a much more modest living.

With such laws or not, that is still happening. We had to help my mother-in-law when she went into assisted living, and now my siblings and I often have to help our parents financially and otherwise. They took care of us for 18-20 years, now we have a chance to help take care of them for probably less, 10-15 years.
I do not see the parallel between parents taking care of their children for 18-20 years, and adult children taking care of their parents financially and housing-wise along with the possible burden of paying for a nursing home or assisted living for 10-15 years or less. (especially if the adult children do not have the means or ability to do so) I don't know if I'm in the majority or minority with that opinion.

I would also think inheritance possibilities are part of the equation.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-28-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement