Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 PM

16,375 posts, read 30,171,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Perhaps factory workers have 40 hour work week, but most professionals I know work more than a 40 hour week most are 50-60. My wife was a nurse often worked 10 hour days because of short staff, etc. Both of my daughters typically work 45-50 work weeks. Perhaps living in the northeast that is just what is expected.

What do others think, when you worked how many hours did you work?

50 hours was the low-end. During busy seasons, 60-65 was more typical.

Most of the guys that are still working manufacturing (yes, there are still quite a few), are generally working closer to 50 and are happy about it as it is cheaper for many employers to pay overtime than to add the additional health care costs related to new employees.

There are professions that work less than 50 weeks of 40 hours and retire early ... but that is very few these days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 05:09 AM

6,726 posts, read 3,335,395 times
I retired in early Dec 2016 at age 62. I worked in the legal group for a large e-commerce company and just couldn't take it anymore. Like everything, there was good and bad, but I was getting burned out. It was time to retire and I could afford it, so that's what I did.

It's only been three months, but I have loved every day so far. I can do what I want and have no one to answer to (except my wife, LOL). I wish I could have done this sooner, but the reality is that it comes down to money.

Everyone is different with how much they have vs. how much they need. I planned carefully and diligently, and once I met my financial goals, I was out of there. I'm happier now then I've been in a long time and will not look back.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:12 AM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
The transition can be hard for a couple... but, if they can make it, they come to love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement