Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 05:13 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Hi. I'm revisiting my thread. It's typical of me to start my loud GROANING about the humidity here in SE PA (about 12 miles outside of Philly) in early-mid July, and I groan LOUDER every year!!! I often make imperious proclamations to the dogs (since I live alone) that I am MOVING NORTH in the future; that is, until the snow and freezing rain hit us in the winter. Used to love the snow, and still LOVE to drive in it, believe it or not, but I am terrified, at my age, of falling on ice as many do here. Ain't pretty.

Your post makes a great deal of sense to me and my needs. Can you recommend a couple of towns for me to research and possibly visit this Fall? And I believe you said East of the bay has the least humidity? THANKS SO MUCH

OOPS! You DID give some town names, so I apologize So the West side is closer to Hopkins while the East has the more affordable housing and the least humidty - correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 05:24 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Without getting too personal, what is your budget like now? I think even without a mortgage 1800 a month is going to be tight. Real tight.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Without getting too personal, what is your budget like now?
I think even without a mortgage 1800 a month is going to be tight. Real tight.
Probably low enough to qualify for a seniors housing program.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:08 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) please learn how to size image links
I've seen other people complain about pic sizes but my browser (Firefox) always automatically resizes large photos to fit. I wonder what makes it work on some displays and not others.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Probably low enough to qualify for a seniors housing program.
Well...don't want to live in any type of condo or townhouse, I'm afraid. I have looked closely at manufactured housing communities in various states, but they have dog breed restrictions, plus is tough to find one where one can own the land rather than lease it. I'll always need a single with allowed fencing for the dogs. As my brother said, "You'll have dogs until they drag you out feet first." And he's right. My particulars do indeed make the search tougher...but I'm going to hang in there until I can get as close as humanly possible to what I want and need.

Thanks for the input

Old 07-10-2017, 08:08 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,200 times
Whatever you do, please skip over page 8 of this thread. There is a lot of bad information on that page, beginning with the comment about Reverse Mortgages and including the recommendation of Tennessee.

A Reverse Mortgage is generally a bad deal for a number of reasons. The Loan Amount is skewed in favor of the Lender in almost every case. And there is the inconvenient End Game -- where they take your House and leave you to find a place to Live.

Tennessee has a regressive Sales Tax, which will be in your pocket for almost every purchase. No State Income Tax, but they more than make up for that with a Sales Tax of over 9% in some counties. And very few everyday purchases are exempt (although some "luxury" items are exempt, to the surprise of nobody). Stock Dividends are also taxed.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Whatever you do, please skip over page 8 of this thread. There is a lot of bad information on that page, beginning with the comment about Reverse Mortgages and including the recommendation of Tennessee.

A Reverse Mortgage is generally a bad deal for a number of reasons. The Loan Amount is skewed in favor of the Lender in almost every case. And there is the inconvenient End Game -- where they take your House and leave you to find a place to Live.

Tennessee has a regressive Sales Tax, which will be in your pocket for almost every purchase. No State Income Tax, but they more than make up for that with a Sales Tax of over 9% in some counties. And very few everyday purchases are exempt (although some "luxury" items are exempt, to the surprise of nobody). Stock Dividends are also taxed.
Thank you, Five Loaves! Yet, TN is often placed on the most-affordable places lists for some reason. I could never envision living there, though. Sigh...if only Southern DE had a first-class medical facility (they probably don't want all the Seniors with their various complications).

Old 07-10-2017, 09:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Well...don't want to live in ...
All well and good but with only $1800 per month to live off of your choices are VERY limited.

Housing (rent, utilities, etc) really shouldn't be more than 25% of that number.
Well, assuming you want to eat and feed/vet the dogs and have some quality of life too.

That $450 less even just a share of a homes utilities doesn't leave much more than $300 for rent.
Sharing someone else's home rather than your own independent place could work...
but anything by yourself will require one of the HUD (Section 8 etc) programs to pay the rest.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:27 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post

You don't know everything about reverse mortgages, that part is certain. Obviously, one shouldn't think about one, if they are not sure they don't want to live in a house forever. The Lender has restrictions on taking your house away. You either fail to maintain it, pay the taxes on it or keep it insured, and they will take it back. There is no time limit on keeping it. There might be a time limit on the funds they pay you, but that depends on the way the loan is structured. Some will pay a reduced amount until you die. Some only pay for a set amount of time. Some don't pay anything at all, but you don't pay a mortgage.

If you are cash poor, but have an adequate fixed income, or even Social Security, which has COL increases, and you have a house with sufficient equity, you can keep your house and free up a significant amount of your future income, allowing you to live a better life in many instances.

Yes, it is not for everybody and obviously, you looked into it and found it didn't fit your needs. That doesn't mean it doesn't fit everybody's needs.

It's more foolish to overlook options than it is to look at them and decide it won't work for you.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:32 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Quote:
Thank you, Five Loaves! Yet, TN is often placed on the most-affordable places lists for some reason. I could never envision living there, though. Sigh...if only Southern DE had a first-class medical facility (they probably don't want all the Seniors with their various complications).
You can always go a little further south to Salisbury, MD and go to Peninsula General Hospital. They may not be first class (I can't say), but they are fairly large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement