Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 06:07 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

CBO: Republican health care bill raises premiums for older, poor Americans by more than 750%

Quote:
The Republican-backed American Health Care Act would be totally devastating to older Americans who rely on the individual market for insurance, according to an analysis by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO).
The bill does bring down overall premiums in the individual market by about 10 percent by 2026 compared with what they would be under current law, the CBO found. But the CBO includes a big caveat: This would greatly differ based on age and income.
The CBO offers an example of a single individual with an annual income of $26,500.

If that person is 21 years old, he'll largely benefit from the Republican health care bill. Under the Affordable Care Act (also known as Obamacare), he would on average pay $1,700 in premiums for insurance. Under the Republican plan, he would pay $1,450.
But if that person is 64 years old, he would be hurt by the Republican bill. Under Obamacare, he would also pay $1,700 in premiums for insurance. But under the Republican bill, he would pay $14,600 — more than half his annual income. That amounts to more than a 750 percent increase in premiums from Obamacare to the Republican bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 06:18 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I'm retiring on June 2, 2017 and no Health reform verdict is going to stop me. My life's dream was to retire at 55 and in 2 months, I'm achieving it. So many people allow ancillary things (and yes, health care is ancillary to ones actual life) to postpone finally living. Not me.
Sure, why not?

What could go wrong?

Old 03-13-2017, 06:22 PM

863 posts, read 795,799 times
I am shocked I tell you..just shocked

I do admire the irony of calling it the "Affordable" care act...and to think everyone was scared of death panels. Well, we don't have to worry about that when the entire health insurance industry becomes one big death panel.

Capitalism at it's finest. Just curious, how many people on here pay 14,600 dollars a year in premiums now? And I also noticed they used a 64 year old, which assumes that medicare will still be around for 65+. How many are prepared to bet 15k a year on that? And what is the cost at 70, 30k dollars? 50k at 85?

If nothing else, it should be interesting to watch how this plays out.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:25 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,932,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
CBO: Republican health care bill raises premiums for older, poor Americans by more than 750%

But if that person is 64 years old, he would be hurt by the Republican bill. Under Obamacare, he would also pay $1,700 in premiums for insurance. But under the Republican bill, he would pay $14,600 — more than half his annual income. That amounts to more than a 750 percent increase in premiums from Obamacare to the Republican bill.
Below is a helpful suggestion for older folks who need health insurance. I am glad to have ~ $50K in my previous company's Future Health Account to pay for health insurance premiums. Otherwise, I will have to pump more iron to apply for a stock room position at Home Depot or Costco. Quite a few positions that I have checked require being able to lift at least 50lbs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Last time I checked Home Depot and Costco both offer part time job with healthcare.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:31 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Below is a helpful suggestion for older folks who need health insurance. I am glad to have ~ $50K in my previous company's Future Health Account to pay for health insurance premiums. Otherwise, I will have to pump more iron to apply for a stock room position at Home Depot or Costco. Quite a few positions that I have checked require being able to lift at least 50lbs!!
You'll be healthy and not a weakling if you do. Maybe a blessing in disguise. Instead of going online complaining. I lifted 50Lbs before, and I had a back support. Same with my husband. The guy at my local nursery has a back support when he does help me. If there is a will, there is a way.
But here let me help you with this link. Whole Foods is one of them that provide part time jobs with health benefit. Try them.
http://www.moneycrashers.com/part-ti...ance-benefits/

Last edited by NewbieHere; 03-13-2017 at 06:39 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 06:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Unreal. Some of the things I read on C-D leave me speechless.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:58 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,932,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You'll be healthy and not a weakling if you do. Maybe a blessing in disguise. Instead of going online complaining. I lifted 50Lbs before, and I had a back support. Same with my husband. The guy at my local nursery has a back support when he does help me. If there is a will, there is a way.
But here let me help you with this link. Whole Foods is one of them that provide part time jobs with health benefit. Try them.
11 Best Part-Time Jobs With Health Insurance Benefits
Geez! You are just so helpful. I will have to revise my resume and list years of gym going, boat carrying experience (I am a rower who carries sculling shell on my head almost every morning) instead of my degrees and technical skills. I should also up the amount of weights which I have been lifting just in case my health insurance money run out and I need a job.

There you go all the weakling oldsters here who are suffering from arthritis, back pain, sciatica, fibromyalgia and various old-age physical ailments! Hit the gym, pump iron, train for a marathon. In no time, you will be strong, healthy, happy in addition to being qualified for Home Depot, Costco, Whole Foods stock room jobs with HEALTH INSURANCE BENEFITS ;0

Old 03-13-2017, 07:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Geez! You are just so helpful. I will have to revise my resume ... be strong, healthy, happy in addition to being qualified for Home Depot, Costco, Whole Foods stock room jobs ;0
working NIGHT shift (most retirees will really enjoy that option)

Bonus: Every "day"(light) is a day off! You only have to report to duty after the sun has set!

Weekends? Sorry, your employer gets those too!

Retirement Party is over.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Geez! You are just so helpful. I will have to revise my resume and list years of gym going, boat carrying experience (I am a rower who carries sculling shell on my head almost every morning) instead of my degrees and technical skills. I should also up the amount of weights which I have been lifting just in case my health insurance money run out and I need a job.

There you go all the weakling oldsters here who are suffering from arthritis, back pain, sciatica, fibromyalgia and various old-age physical ailments! Hit the gym, pump iron, train for a marathon. In no time, you will be strong, healthy, happy in addition to being qualified for Home Depot, Costco, Whole Foods stock room jobs with HEALTH INSURANCE BENEFITS ;0
Well, you posted a provocative post toward me and that was my reply to your post. So why are you complaining if you are healthy? I have hip arthritis for years and I still can lift things above 50Lbs. And I'm the small petite, non rower type. Of course if you do nothing it will get worse. But if you do move and exercise, it will help. Try it. Don't under estimate your fellow human beings.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 03-13-2017 at 07:15 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Unreal. Some of the things I read on C-D leave me speechless.
Unreal some of the complaints I read here too.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 03-13-2017 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement