Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:53 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Steve View Post
At what cost to the average taxpayer?
Undoubtedly, taxes would have to be raised.

The point that is lost though is that we wouldn't have to pay for health insurance anymore.

The tax increase would be largely if not completely offset by the reduction in insurance premiums so many of us pay directly or indirectly.

I see other benefits too. Once our taxes are paying for health care there will be more pressure to keep prices within limits. Also, Congress will take a direct interest in the quality and availability of services. This is the case in other countries with universal health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 11:12 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
According to Bernie Sanders, the average American would pay 2.2% more in taxes, so $1100/year for a $50k income. But they would pay $4000 less in premiums and deductibles than the average which is about $6000/year now. So the overall savings is $3000.
Baloney.

The average cost per person for healthcare (I'm basing this on my experience over the years in managed care and self funded plans) is now about $300 to $500 per month per person (including Rx). Of course it varies by age and gender. How does this translate to less than $100 per month in taxes according to Sanders??? If it's based on savings with single payer, where do the savings come from?

There is an assumption there that EVERY American can pay 2.2% more in taxes. Who will pay (and how much) for those who cannot?

There was a Rick Steve's show in Sweden...he interviewed a couple who said about 50% of each paycheck goes to taxes. Now, they do have more social services but no doubt a good portion of that goes for their healthcare. I'm sure it's more than 2.2%.

My issue is not whether to go private or single payer, we can argue that all day long. It the deceptive quote above which implies major savings for Americans moving to single payer.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:47 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Baloney.

The average cost per person for healthcare (I'm basing this on my experience over the years in managed care and self funded plans) is now about $300 to $500 per month per person (including Rx). Of course it varies by age and gender. How does this translate to less than $100 per month in taxes according to Sanders??? If it's based on savings with single payer, where do the savings come from?

There is an assumption there that EVERY American can pay 2.2% more in taxes. Who will pay (and how much) for those who cannot?

There was a Rick Steve's show in Sweden...he interviewed a couple who said about 50% of each paycheck goes to taxes. Now, they do have more social services but no doubt a good portion of that goes for their healthcare. I'm sure it's more than 2.2%.

My issue is not whether to go private or single payer, we can argue that all day long. It the deceptive quote above which implies major savings for Americans moving to single payer.

Sweden has many services over and above healthcare that drive cost. You can look at Canada for a closer comparison the rates are similar to ours but with less deductions. a decade or more ago (before I had kids) I lived on the Canadian border and after many beers with Canucks, I was curious how both systems played out. At the time up until around 80-100k in individual income, you were paying way less under the Canadian system (taxes vs healthcare premiums). I have to imagine given our health care costs have risen faster then theirs over the last decade the same still holds true up to an even higher income.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:27 PM

12 posts, read 12,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
According to Bernie Sanders, the average American would pay 2.2% more in taxes, so $1100/year for a $50k income. But they would pay $4000 less in premiums and deductibles than the average which is about $6000/year now. So the overall savings is $3000.
Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, "The average American will save $2500" King Obama.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:46 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Captain Obvious says "Obamacare will be around for a while!"

Old 03-27-2017, 04:52 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Yes, Obamacare is currently the law of the land, but today, it was discussed how the Secretary (Head) of Health and Human Services (HHS) Tom Price can sabotage some or many positive aspects of Obamacare (Affordable Care Act) and aspects of HHS on his own, and he is a ultra-conservative right wing weasel who hopes to disable and sabotage much in HHS which is why he was appointed to be head of HHS. (as can Trump with Executive Orders and actions)

Last edited by matisse12; 03-27-2017 at 05:02 PM..

Old 03-27-2017, 04:56 PM

253 posts, read 235,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
But today, it was reported that the Secretary (Head) of Health and Human Services (HHS) Tom Price can sabotage some or many positive aspects of Obamacare (Affordable Care Act) and aspects of HHS on his own, as can Trump with Executive Orders and actions.

Of course.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:08 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
That's the sad part that everyone in congress is more interested in party politics than actually working for the best of the people. So rather than work on improving Obamacare they are more interested in letting it fail to score those points. And those points will be scored on the back of the Americans that will suffer health wise from these actions

Old 03-27-2017, 05:24 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
That's the sad part that everyone in congress is more interested in party politics than actually working for the best of the people. So rather than work on improving Obamacare they are more interested in letting it fail to score those points. And those points will be scored on the back of the Americans that will suffer health wise from these actions
Many on the right don't believe the government should be involved in health care and other things. They believe it is something that should be left to individuals and the market place. There are others of another persuasion who believe to the contrary. Also there is a matter of cost and there are varying views on who should bear the cost of health care. The individual or society. There are some real discussions we as a society should be having absent the passing of legislation one way or the other.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Congress has no skin in the game... they are exempt from A(?)CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement