Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 09:07 AM

810 posts, read 1,182,017 times

Advertisements

We can put the max in a 2016 ROTH IRA. I thought I'd go with Vanguard, where we have some money in Index 500 and Wellsley. The bulk of our 401K money, now traditional IRA, is with Fidelity.

Any info on the retirement date funds you want to share with me? I was thinking of the 50/50 plan, right in the middle. It's a 2015 target date fund. I know it's not a lot of money, but appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

BTW, no, we don't plan on touching this for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:34 AM

558 posts, read 434,946 times
Everything I read when I was trying to make this decision said one problem with target funds is that they tend to go too conservative too soon. At age 65, you can easily need your money to last 20-25 more years or so.

So I followed the advice and went with a later target fund. In my case it was 2025 rather than 2020. I've been happy even though it hasn't had quite the ups of recent market upturns.

I'm not sure what a 50/50 fund is unless you are talking about two separate funds. You don't choose the proportion of stocks vs. bonds in a target fund; the target fund does. At least that is how it has operated for me.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:36 AM

10,356 posts, read 7,988,269 times
If you're not planning on touching the money for a long time, I'd go with something more stock-heavy than 50:50.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:47 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
Everything I read when I was trying to make this decision said one problem with target funds is that they tend to go too conservative too soon.
Exactly.

But even a later-dated target fund can have a very conservative "glide path" (the rate at which equities are exchanged for bonds or other, safer but lower-yielding investments). My retirement accounts are in targets because I needed to set something up fast, but I really need to sit down and reallocate. I've got a long ways to go

Old 03-13-2017, 05:38 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
yes , they do not lend themselves well to dollar cost averaging in yet that is how they are used .

markets are up 2/3's of the time and down 1/3 so over time you are buying less and less shares at the same time the glide path is cutting allocations to stock . it can be far more conservative than designed .

besides , i would never use anything that strictly went by age and not the world around us .

would you want to be mostly put in to bonds in retirement if we are in a long time trend of rising rates ?

i wouldn't .

Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 PM

810 posts, read 1,182,017 times
Thank you for responding. I have been trying to figure where to put this money. We don't plan on touching it and will look into being less conservative. Mathjak, appreciate you explaining why target funds aren't a smart investment in this situation.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:00 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
You have domestic equities and bonds already. These Vanguard target funds do have a healthy int'l exposure; vthrx has 28.6% Total Int'l Stock Index and 8.2% Total Int'l Bond. But they are designed to be an all in one basket. I would consider diversifying a bit more depending on your needs and timeline. Some folks want to hold when they reach retirement. I think with that perspective the target funds are a decent middle ground. Mathjak has pointed out in other posts their drawbacks, the main one being that they are completely oblivious to market conditions and will dump equities for bonds at possibly the worst times, for example. But many folks will not or cannot react to the market. In fact, for many that would be disasterous. These funds might lag a bit at times, but they are inexpensive and a reasonable alternative, imho.
DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement