Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 02:13 PM

989 posts, read 768,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
It is generally more comfortable near the coast in summer.
You do want to try to be in a C or D Flood Zone if possible. We are 2 miles from the beach and at in a Flood Zone A, that can be stressful at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 06:15 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
. I am the OP of this thread....so since someone has brought it back up I will chime in here. So, we are still doing research online for over 55 communities in FL. We are planning a trip this summer to see if we can handle the heat. I was disappointed that there hasn`t been much of a response on the retirement thread for these communities.....or on the Florida thread either. Just trying to get a couple of communities that we could do a stay and play or a VRBO
We don`t need a ton of amenities, but bocce ball is a must LOL, shuffle board, and a few others. Appreciate any recommendations.
Look at the historical temperatures where you live and Florida. In Florida their are two climate zones so be sure to look at the city you will be near. I think you will want to pay attention to the humidity. You might not find a big difference in temperatures but you could in humidity.

If you can rent in the Villages, link in my last post, as it should be less expensive and you can travel around central Fl over the summer.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:30 PM

13 posts, read 7,590 times
Does anyone have any suggestions for widows wanting to relocate to 55 plus communities in Florida. Wondering if some communities are more welcoming and have activities geered toward singles.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:53 AM

989 posts, read 455,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresarose View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for widows wanting to relocate to 55 plus communities in Florida. Wondering if some communities are more welcoming and have activities geered toward singles.

I can only speak to The Villages and what my mother has told me. There are LOTS of singles and lots to do as a single. Very active. My mother thought it was a very good place to go if you are widowed. Lots of folks in the same situation. You won't be the odd man/woman out at all.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:18 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
The most common rule is that one person in the household must be 55 or older. Children under 17-19 depending on the community may visit for a month. Our grandchildren who are in their mid 20s often come for a visit.

We have found that we prefer the coastal climate to the interior locations.
The Villages are further north than I would choose to live. It will get chilly there in winter.

I tried golf once and found that a sailboat gave me more bang for the buck. Golf courses are expensive to maintain, will you play enough to justify it?

We don't have noise or graffiti problems. In Florida everyone comes from somewhere else and brings their bad driving habits with them.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:01 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
I can only speak to The Villages and what my mother has told me. There are LOTS of singles and lots to do as a single. Very active. My mother thought it was a very good place to go if you are widowed. Lots of folks in the same situation. You won't be the odd man/woman out at all.
Except, as mentioned above, it's super-conservative and if you're not, you will definitely feel like the odd person out.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
. I am the OP of this thread....so since someone has brought it back up I will chime in here. So, we are still doing research online for over 55 communities in FL. We are planning a trip this summer to see if we can handle the heat. I was disappointed that there hasn`t been much of a response on the retirement thread for these communities.....or on the Florida thread either. Just trying to get a couple of communities that we could do a stay and play or a VRBO
We don`t need a ton of amenities, but bocce ball is a must LOL, shuffle board, and a few others. Appreciate any recommendations.
Since it's been 18 months since you last posted on this thread, I was wondering if you could give us an update. How did your summer visit go, and did you ever make a decision or the actual move? I thought you did get quite a few suggestions, outside of The Villages, which I know you had decided against. Florida is such a huge state with so many over-55 communities, it's difficult to make suggestions without knowing a general area, budget, etc.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:01 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Since it's been 18 months since you last posted on this thread, I was wondering if you could give us an update. How did your summer visit go, and did you ever make a decision or the actual move? I thought you did get quite a few suggestions, outside of The Villages, which I know you had decided against. Florida is such a huge state with so many over-55 communities, it's difficult to make suggestions without knowing a general area, budget, etc.
We decided to go the SC route. We did a discovery package in Sun City Bluffton. We loved Sun City and Bluffton. We will also go back to NC very soon to check that out again. We decided against FL.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:00 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I don't know if they are all like this, but I've heard that you can't have your adult children or grandchildren come for a visit or stay for a short vacation with you.

NO thanks! I'd rather be able to visit with my family members than have a bunch of over 55'ers for company ALL the time. I guess it's ok for people without offspring or people who aren't close to their offspring/grandkids.
Never heard of this. Have heard of limits on the number of days for individuals under 18. I think 30 or 60 days might be the limit and they can not be going to a local school.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
We decided to go the SC route. We did a discovery package in Sun City Bluffton. We loved Sun City and Bluffton. We will also go back to NC very soon to check that out again. We decided against FL.
So you're working your way UP the East coast! Good luck and have fun exploring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement