Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 05:02 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
We have been seriously considering a travel trailer because we like traveling with the pets
a traveler trailer seems like it would be a far more convenient way to travel with pets.
The question is how many nights away from home per year are in play.
And then how many of them will be in one or maybe two locations.

If you really believe you'll be "away" 100 nights a year...
with fewer than 5 of these nights spent in any one place...
then an RV of some sort is probably warranted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 05:04 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,109,416 times
I don't stay at motels that take pets. The last time I did, the whole place smelled like a stable.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:26 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The question is how many nights away from home per year are in play.
And then how many of them will be in one or maybe two locations.

If you really believe you'll be "away" 100 nights a year...
with fewer than 5 of these nights spent in any one place...
then an RV of some sort is probably warranted.
I have a small RV and really love the weekend camping getaways along with a long trip once a year. Not retired so can't go for longer periods but would love to. We also have pets and an RV really works for us.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:28 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
Quote:
I've read several posts about pet friendly hotels as a cheeper option than an RV, and I believe that that is true, but my experience with pet friendly hotels is that the rooms are disgusting - little better than a kennel with a bed in it! Maybe I am staying at the wrong pet friendly places. Anybody find a pet friendly chain with constantly clean pet friendly rooms?

We have been seriously considering a travel trailer because we like traveling with the pets (3 mid sized dogs) - my running the numbers between gas and trailer expenses, the hotels are cheaper, but a traveler trailer seems like it would be a far more convenient way to travel with pets.
Pet friendly motels generally are not good. However cabin rentals are better but most require a few nights stay.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:32 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
I've read several posts about pet friendly hotels as a cheeper option than an RV, and I believe that that is true, but my experience with pet friendly hotels is that the rooms are disgusting - little better than a kennel with a bed in it! Maybe I am staying at the wrong pet friendly places. Anybody find a pet friendly chain with constantly clean pet friendly rooms?

We have been seriously considering a travel trailer because we like traveling with the pets (3 mid sized dogs) - my running the numbers between gas and trailer expenses, the hotels are cheaper, but a traveler trailer seems like it would be a far more convenient way to travel with pets.
I hate staying in pet friendly hotels. Eww!!

It is convenient and with a travel trailer you can prepare most or all of your meals. That adds up when you stay at a hotel and you need to eat out twice a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Pet friendly motels generally are not good. However cabin rentals are better but most require a few nights stay.
Cabin rentals can be very expensive.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:48 PM

497 posts, read 571,322 times
I posted earlier that we had a small travel trailer. I want to add that the entire cost of having a trailer (insurance, maintenance, gas, etc.) was never cheaper than moteling, flying, and eating out. BUT it was a great life style. We had a RV for ten years before the trailer. I like having the trailer. We also had cats for forty years and they always went with us.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:12 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:

There are lots and lots of pet-friendly hotels. Some chains are universally friendly, but others you have to call because the policy isn't consistent. I don't thing there's any chain I would rely on universally without doing some legwork ahead of time... with or without pets. There's just too much variability except perhaps at the upper crust 5* properties that one expects are perfect.

LaQunita is 100% pet friendly and no pet fee, but there's a lot of variability in the properties. Older buildings that have not been maintained can be "not so nice", but on the other hand we've stayed at new ore remodeled ones that were perfectly fine.

We've stayed at a couple of Westin properties that allow dogs. They're very nice, but the prices vary a lot depending on the location and time of year. They are not always unreasonable, though. I just got an e-mail notice about a $95 rate at a property we stayed at last year. And they do not have an additional pet fee.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:47 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Thanks for the feed back.

I have NO interest in not having a home and living in one. I think it is great for some, but not me!!

I'm think like 3 30-day trips a year? Then some shorter trips through out.

I want to rent a Class C to try it, tow our motorcycle. Can always stay in a hotel if we are feeling cramped, though I want to travel with our dogs!!

I have no idea what StealthRabbit said, so I need to start learning!!!
I think a class c RV is a good RV to start with. Class C RV's have engines that put out as much HP as their bigger class A counter parts. They can have several popouts, full kitchen and bathroom. Just make sure you get the amenities and extras that you want. Do some research. Check this site out. I am a member. Tons of great info here.

iRV2 Forum | – RV Forum Community and RV News

Old 03-21-2017, 10:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm doing a 3 1/2 month RV trip to Western USA starting May. Looking forward to it. Can't imagine what 3+ worth of hotel fees and restaurant fees would be.
Did 1 yr RTW, and had only 8 hotels, and less than that many meals at restaurants.

RVing is one of our more 'expensive' ways to travel, but I will solve that with a diesel transplant if the VR6 ever conks out. (WVO = free fuel)

Tires can be a killer every 7 yrs. (life span of sidewalls exposed to weather / road heat)

In 11 yrs RV and 40 yrs camping, probably stayed in a "Camping Park / RV / KOA type" less than 20 times (More so in 'National and Forest service campgrounds) often 'stealth camping' Many, MANY yrs of 'stealth camping' traveling by Motorcycle & bed-roll.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-21-2017 at 10:17 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 10:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I hate staying in pet friendly hotels. Eww!!
... you can prepare most or all of your meals. That adds up when you stay at a hotel and you need to eat out twice a day.
agree on the pets... had another 'flea attack' this morning from flying the 'pet-friendly-skies'

Wow, how nice it would be for the rest of us to FORCE a 'flea-B-Gone' tablet for 'lap dogs'
The lapdog / emotional support pet was breathing down my neck for 4+ hrs ~ 3" from my head the whole trip. Everyone for 3 rows was complaining about 'the itch' funny... none of us were itching BEFORE the flight...

YL7... you think the rooms wreak after pets... foolw the Hotel 'cooks' around! Fortunately you, nor I use hotels very often!

You gotta get with the times! Our Readers' Best Tips For Cooking Real Meals in a Hotel Room | Kitchn

https://www.pinterest.com/krspellman...-room-cooking/

http://parenthacks.com/2015/04/hotel-room-cooking.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement